RWS 1-4 ReMixing With the Stars: Season 1 Episode 4: "Yesteryear"

MindWanderer

Season 1, Episode 4: "Yesteryear"

RMWtS-large.png

Current News

Voting is concluded! Results are below.

Results!

1. First Place: "Are You Kidding Me?" by Kuolema feat. ectogemia, with 17 points.
  2. Second Place (tie): "Another Galaxy for Termina" by Cash and Change feat. SnappleMan, with 15 points.
  3. Second Place (tie): "All the King's Men" by Esperado feat. hakstock, with 15 points.
  4. Fourth Place: "Tak-Ka Mortaza" by The Eluryahn feat. DusK, with 9 points.
  5. Fifth Place: "Over My Head" by Tuberz McGee feat. Argle, with 7 points.
  6. Sixth Place: "Party Station" by Final Kingdom feat. Flexstyle, with 3 points.

Download Season 1 Now!

Theme

As we say goodbye to 2012, we remember other things that are no longer with us. All mixes should either:

1. Be based on a source or sources from a series (at least 2 games) that we haven't had a sequel, spinoff, or remake of for at least 10 years, or
  2. Use any source, and be done in a genre of music that at least some people would consider "dead" (disco, ska, etc.). Let's not debate this--if there's a decent case for it, it counts.

Pairings

About ReMixing With the Stars

ReMixing With the Stars is intended to give beginning remixers some support, encouragement, and mentoring in their quest to become great, and as a sidenote, to become posted remixers. Beginners are mentored by experienced remixers to push their abilities to new heights and submit collaborative works according to the theme of the month.

Who's a "Star" and who's a "Novice?"

Any posted or accepted-to-be-posted remixer, as the only artist or as the lead arranger on a piece, is automatically considered a "Star." This isn't meant to be a statement on who's a "good" or "expert" artist, but it's a somewhat meaningful threshhold which doesn't require any subjective judgment on my part (however subjective the OCR judging process may be). Additionally, anyone who wants to sign up as a Star can also be put into that category. This is because a lot more "Novices" (who is everyone else) sign up than stars, and it's better to receive some mentoring from someone who's good but not posted than from no one at all.

If you've done any of the following things, as examples, I strongly recommend you sign up as a Star:

• Contributed to an OCR album
  • Had a submitted remix rejected but with one or more "Yes" votes
  • Beat a posted remixer in direct competition (not counting forfeit)
  • Sold your compositions (remixes or not) for money

If you want to sign up conditionally (e.g. "I'd prefer to be a Novice, but if you need me to be a Star so more people can participate, that's fine too"), then go ahead, and bless you.

Rules

• Enrollment/Pairings: For episode 2 and onward, pairings will be a little different. They'll still be first-come, first-served, except that Novices who participated in a previous episode get priority. This is so that the community can watch a consistent group of OCR newcomers grow in skills as the season progresses. (Don't worry, this won't carry over into next season, so people won't be matriculated through forever. In fact, for Season 2, Episode 1, priority will be exactly the other way around, with Season 1 participants getting lower preference for slots.) As before, once the signup deadline is reached, whichever list of signups has more people in it will be truncated, based on order of priority as described above, so the lists are the same size. Then Novices will be randomly paired with Stars, except that Novice-Star pairings won't be repeated twice in a season.
  • Mixes: The Novice must be the primary remixer. Stars can contribute by giving advice, playing a live instrument or vocals, and with production, including minor adjustments to fix timing or dissonance issues. They may also contribute a short solo segment. No one other than the Novice and Star may help in any way.
  • Submissions: All entries must be sent to me by the 12PM PST deadline via PM on the forums, with a link to a reliable host for me to download your mix from. Please don't use Tindeck, as it doesn't give you control over what the filename will be when downloaded. I also recommend you post in this thread that you've submitted your mix, since I know there have been issues in other compos with PM's not being received. Please submit your file as an mp3, preferably encoded at a high-quality VBR or 320kbps. Filenames must be in the following format:
    Novice feat. Star - Title (Game).mp3
    Example:
    MindWanderer feat. djpretzel - The World's Worst ReMix (Pong).mp3
    Proper file names mean I can do my job of getting the compliation done and posted faster, which means you get to hear the great music produced by this sooner.

Schedule

All deadlines are 12 PM (noon) Pacific time (PST).

• Signups until Wednesday, January 9, 1200 PST. If you're signing up as a Novice, and didn't sign up for a previous episode, you must post links to at least two samples of your previous work! They don't have to be good, they don't even have to be game remixes, you just have to prove you're not brand-spanking-new to this music production thing. Things you've posted to the WIP forum are preferable but not required. If you're signing up as a Star, say a little bit about your strengths, and maybe post a link or three to remixes you feel best represent them. You can mention anything else you think would be helpful in working with you (software preferences, instruments you play, etc).
  • Announcement of the pairings and theme on Jan. 9. The theme will be broad enough to allow many, many options, serving mainly as a unifying factor. It's announced later so that no one gets a head start.
  • ReMixing from Jan. 9 to Wednesday, January 23, 1200 PST (2 weeks). Rules and guidelines above.
  • Voting from whenever I get the compilation posted (should be no more than a few hours after the deadline) until Wednesday, January 30, 1200 PST. Votes should be based on, in roughly descending order, use of source (i.e. interpreted but recognizable), arrangement, production, and enjoyability. How appropriate the submission was for the theme shouldn't be considered (since this is easier for option A than option B). You'll pick your three favorites, in order. Your first-place vote will get 3 points, your second-place 2 points, and your third-place 1 point. Participants (both Novices and Stars) may not vote for their own mixes, but participants who vote will get a free first-place vote added to their score. Please send me a PM with your votes, like this:
    1. First-place ReMix
    2. Second-place ReMix
    3. Third-place ReMix

Thanks for your interest, and lets get this show on the road!

Previous Episodes

• [thread=40611]Pilot Episode: "Beginnings"[/thread]
  • [thread=41556]Season 1, Episode 1: "Spooky!"[/thread]
  • [thread=41864]Season 1, Episode 2: "Origins of Home Gaming"[/thread]
  • [thread=42143]Season 1, Episode 3: Special "You Can Never Have Too Much Mega Man" edition[/thread]

Edited by MindWanderer

I echo Flexstyle's sentiments on school beginning, but I'd like to go at this again now that the holidays are over. Put me down as a novice if there is yet room. Hopefully we'll get enough stars this round.

EDIT: I guess I should add that I use Finale Songwriter 2007, LMMS, and I will have access to Cubase 6ish next week.

2-3 more stars means 2-3 more novices! Sign up if you're tempted!

I don't by any means have time to do a podcast, but if anyone wants to take the reins on that, I'm behind it. If you schedule it for the second week of the month, you could discuss the results of the previous month, maybe interview one or both winners, and then go on to talk about the new month's theme and pairings, build some hype.

is it possible to collabo with people if you use different daws? I feel like its pretty tough

anyways ill sign up for this one in a few weeks! I wanna get some prc under my belt before I take on the bigger challenge :)

You can still exchange midis/wavs, and/or provide arrangement/production feedback without the same DAW.

lol, that was a lot of slashes

It can be easier if both people use the same thing, but it all depends on what you need from each other and what you're trying to accomplish, so for this competition it's not particularly essential.

aww what the heck, the idea is to get better anyways , sign me up as a novice !

gleylancer remix from this weeks prc! https://soundcloud.com/jesse-mitchell-3/gleylancer

and some random project. https://soundcloud.com/jesse-mitchell-3/peanutbutter-slampad-wip

i also was thinking it might be fun to try doing the podcast. is there any way i can start a thread discussion some where about it, and if so, where would i put it?