Absolutely insane a capella!

I don't really like to assume that people are lying when they say things like that...A lot of the time the voices do sound processed but some people can do things that you wouldn't believe are possible!

Also if the audio doesn't always match up with the video that's probably an encoding/youtube thing or something (Although with everything moving so fast I don't know how you can tell it's out of sync ;-)).

yeah, sorry, but he was fixing it. i'll sound really pretentious too and say that i know it because i own and use the programs regularly, and some of the most obvious tells were showing in the videos.

it was fun to listen to! but it's obvious that he didn't sing every single note exactly in time with exactly the right pitch. i still liked it =)

Neat videos. It's obvious he's making loops of his voice for various drums (perfect cymbal sounds constantly in the MegaMan video naturally? I don't think so...), instruments that never give him a chance to breathe (like bass lines), and splicing sections together before creating the videos to go with each track (funny how his head moves around, yet the sound never gets louder and quieter), but it's still cool looking and sounding.

Edited by The Coop

Why do we gotta analyze every little detail and tear it apart instead of just enjoying it for what it is? :/

This. This guy is awesome. I don't know if his production is pure and full of sunshine, and I don't care, really. His finished product is terrific. Also, sweet hairdo and kitty. Nice link, Zoltan! I love both a cappella stuff and video game music, so this is great.

Why do we gotta analyze every little detail and tear it apart instead of just enjoying it for what it is? :/

Because it's human nature to want to know how things work. And when you see something that makes you wonder how it was done, you scrutinize it to get a better understanding.

Figuring out how it was done doesn't suddenly make it shit. It simply puts it in better perspective. He still did a lot of work to put the songs together, but it's not quite what it looks like at first glance.

• 2 weeks later...

I laughed out loud when I first heard this guy. He's great! I don't care if he uses voice correction or not, or if he lied about it. I enjoy it, good enough for me.

By the way, where does he say he doesn't use voice correction? I'm not saying he didn't actually say that, I just want to know where.

• 2 months later...

Viking Jesus has done it again.

http://youtu.be/svHUopfx-CI

He truly isn't anything extremely special in terms of arrangement. It's just amazing how he does all vocals exactly like the original arrangement, and it always sounds really darn good.

And then also, this is one of my favorite versions of Rainbow Road musically speaking, so I just obviously loved this.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure he does some post processing. Panning, maybe fixing some timing issues, compression, etc. I don't think it's pitch corrected though. It's still really good either way, even if he is using vocal samples/looping/etc still takes a lot of work to record and arrange all the parts.

Also reminds me of this guy from back in the day.

Kutimu, did like 3 or 4 a capellas of DDR songs, (you can definitely tell he i'snt post processing all that much or looping, etc)

there were a couple others, but I'm having a hard time finding them.

Edited by DJ SymBiotiX

He's gotten better at producing himself. If you listen to his earlier covers, they're a bit less tight and a slight bit more pitchy. Over time he's figured out to produce himself more strictly and make sure everything sounds good.

He's done a decent job. He's more entertaining just because he does video game songs and does them EXACTLY like they were originally arranged, except in complete vocal form. Talent-wise, guys like Peter Hollens and this really hidden dude that no one knows of named Sam Robson are definitely more of my guys. Sam Robson for ya. "I Need Thee O I Need Thee" and his "Blackbird" cover blow me away. He even did an acapella take on the original South Park theme. That was entertaining. And his Big Band original arrang-- UGH he's so good.

Edited by Garrett Williamson