Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

Presented by the OverClocked ReMix Forums

Introduction

In the year 20XX (minus 2), the Robot Masters banded together to rebel against the evil Dr. Wily. It was a hard-fought battle, and not everyone survived, but they prevailed in the name of everlasting peace.

Or so they thought.

Now with the help of The Walt Disney Company, Dr. Wily has returned, and the Robot Masters must once again come together to fight through the remix gauntlet, made up of classic Capcom-Disney stages.

Raise arms, Robot Masters, and fight for everlasting peace!

The Story So Far...

The Robot Masters fought through the jungles of Pirate Island and scaled Moliarty's Tower. At the very top, in the control room, they found that the nefarious Dr. Wily, fed up with Disney's machinations, used the rocketship hidden at the jungle tower to escape the Earth. The doctor was searching for something—or someone—to help him take his castles back! He went to The Moon! High up in his secret moon base, he managed to put out a call for aid to his old, space-faring allies, the Stardroids.

Striking from orbit, they loosened the hold Disney had on Wily's castles, intent on helping the not-so-good doctor reclaim his former empire. After a long and arduous fight, the Robot Masters managed to drive the Stardroids back, away from Earth. In the wake of the battle against the Stardroids, Dr. Wily recovered stasis pods he hid in his castles long ago. They contained robotic fighters still loyal to him; robots designed to fight the Blue Bomber himself! Mega Man's Rivals were reactivated, and they decided to punish the Robot Masters for betraying Dr. Wily! But with the Rivals vanquished, Dr. Wily was forced to activate the prototype of what would undoubtedly be his greatest creation. Zero had been awakened.

The Robot Masters fought desperately, and Zero had only just been driven back. In the wake of the devastation, Dr. Wily regained full control of the Wily Castles. The weakened Robot Masters had to go after the dreaded doctor himself. But all was not lost: Dr. Light sent help. Mega Man, Proto Man, and Duo arrived on the scene to help the Robot Masters in the final push to defeat Dr. Wily.

No more theme parks! No more robotic interlopers! With the help of the Blue Bomber and the other heroes, the Robot Masters fought through the Gauntlet and defeated Dr. Wily once and for all!

The dust has settled, and a new sun rises. The Robot Masters have fought and won a hard-earned peace. Thank you, Robot Masters!

Current News

Final scores are as follows:

1. The Beat Masters - 79
  2. The Handsome Devils - 75
  3. Flying Dog Platform - 52
  4. Robot Master Royalty - 42
  5. Concrete Men 2.0 - 38
  6. Hard Men 2.0 - 37
  7. The Robutt Masters - 31
  8. Rush Riders - 21
  9. The Gobots - 19
  10. Capitals of Science - 15
  11. The Average Joes - 12
  12. The Robot Museum - 10
  13. Army of Metools - 8
  14. Energy Tank - 7

Congratulations to The Beat Masters for their victory, and congratulations to all of the participants for another great competition!

The Scoreboard and Voting Tallies can be viewed here.

Come hang out in the #wcrg IRC channel for informal discussions, impromptu listening parties, and general Mega Man discussion.

Releases

Block 1: When You Wish Upon a Star

Block 2: The War for Wily's Castles

Block 3: Dr. Wily's Revenge

Final Round: Everlasting Peace

Previous Competitions

About

The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet (WCRG) is a team-based remix competition. Each remixer will choose a Robot Master, and then remixers will form teams of three.

The competition is divided into blocks. Each block is divided into three one-week-long rounds, and there are three blocks in the competition. At the start of every round, I will reveal the Gauntlet theme, and the team-members will decide who will be the remixer for that round. Remixers can only take one round per block.

The chosen remixer will then write a single remix using both their Robot Master's theme and the Gauntlet theme for that round. The other team members are allowed to help with production, playing instruments, and arrangement ideas, but the chosen remixer must act as the primary artist/arranger. The easiest way to think of this is that you are taking turns remixing for your team every week. Please note that artists are allowed to utilize session musicians and performers who are not involved with the competition, but those musicians and performers should not be heavily involved in the arrangement of the entry.

At the end of the round, voters will rank their top three entries, and placing entries will receive points based on where they place relative to other teams. At the end of the competition, points will be tallied, and the team with the most points wins.

Submissions and File Name Rules

All entries must be sent to me (DarkeSword) via PM on the forums. Please include your team name and the round number in the subject line of your PM. I encode all MP3s myself, so please send me your submissions in 16bit, 44.1KHz WAV format. Do not send MP3s.

Please do not use MediaFire as a host for your entry. I recommend Dropbox or SoundCloud.

File names for the final round must be in the following format:

Team Name - Artist - Title (Robot Master, Robot Master, and Robot Master at The End).

For example:

Everlasting Peace - DarkeSword - Imitation System (Fake Man, Break Man, and Snake Man at The End).mp3

If one team member helps you with your entry in a significant way and you want to give him or her credit, add his or her name as follows:

Everlasting Peace - DarkeSword feat. OA - Imitation System (Fake Man, Break Man, and Snake Man at The End).mp3

If both team members help you with your entry in a significant way and you want to give them credit, add their names as follows:

Everlasting Peace - DarkeSword feat. OA & DragonAvenger - Imitation System (Fake Man, Break Man, and Snake Man at The End).mp3

Notes:

• I will tell you exactly what you need to write for the Gauntlet Theme part of the file name every week.
  • Robot Master names are two words. Centaur Man, not Centaurman.
  • Robot Master names and Gauntlet Themes need to be capitalized properly.
  • Team names, artist names and remix titles can be whatever case you want, but team names and artist names must be consistent from round to round.
  • Put spaces on both sides of the hyphens between Team Name, Artist, and Title.

I am dead serious about file names guys. You need to make sure you follow the format exactly, because I use the file names to make sure that all the metadata is correct when I re-tag everything properly. It is a massive pain sitting there renaming, re-spacing, and reformatting so that everything works properly with mp3tag's file-name-to-tag tools, and ultimately it means that when you all do it right, I can get the music up for voting way faster.

If you or your team repeatedly submits remixes with bad file names, you will be disqualified from further rounds, I will award you no points, and may Dr. Light have mercy on your souls.

Voting Rules and Guidelines

Voting is conducted publicly in the social group. Every week, a thread will be created for the most recently completed round of remixing. Voters should post their top three remixes in the thread as follows:

1. First place choice remix name
  2. Second place choice remix name
  3. Third place choice remix name

Things to keep in mind when voting:

• Everyone is allowed (and encouraged) to vote.
  • Competitors should not place their own team's remix in their rankings, regardless of whether they are the remixers for that round or not. However, by voting, they will earn a first place vote for their team's remix. If you are on a team, you must post what team you are on in your vote so I can make sure your team gets your voting bonus. If you do not specify your team, I cannot guarantee that your team will receive a voting bonus.
  • The most important thing to consider when voting is how well the remix incorporates and arranges both themes. Production and enjoyability should also be considered.
  • You are required to make an actual decision for each choice, meaning, you cannot declare a draws or a ties for different places. This will be counted as not voting and your vote will not be counted.
  • Do not post reviews in the voting thread. Compile your reviews for a round into a single post in this thread.
  • Post only once in each voting thread.
  • Everyone must adhere to the Competitions Code of Conduct.

FAQ

So do I just pick a Robot Master? Is it first-come-first-served?

I'll be doing a draft for Robot Master selection. If you're planning on participating, please post a list of five Robot Masters you're interested in claiming, in the order of preference. Choose any Robot Master from the following games:

• Mega Man 1-6 (NES)
  • Mega Man 7 (SNES)
  • Mega Man 8 (PSX/Saturn)
  • Mega Man 9-10 (DLC)
  • Mega Man and Bass (SNES/GBA)
  • Mega Man Powered Up (PSP)

Once everyone posts their lists, I'll go through and assign everyone their first-pick, resolving any conflicts with a coin-toss and moving down the lists as necessary. You will only be assigned one Robot Master for the competition. Every team member must post their own five picks.

Are you assigning teams or do we get to make our own?

I won't be assigning teams. Please feel free to form a team with your friends or artists that you already work well with.

Can we have team names?

• Team names must be specifically Mega Man themed. Your team name can't just be a generic video game, music, or robotics reference.
  • Team names must be 1-3 words long. A number counts as a word.
  • Team names can't contain characters that are invalid for file names. \ / : * ? " < > |
  • Team names must be rated E for Everyone. This means no alcohol, drug use, sex, or excessive-violence references.

Some examples of good team names: The Yellow Devils, Team Metool, ENERGYTANK, etc.

Wait, so we have to all collaborate every week on a remix?

Not at all. The whole idea is that each team member will take their turn at remixing. Collaboration is not required at all; in fact, I really want to avoid one single guy carrying the entire team every week throughout the competition. That's not how this is supposed to work, and I'm trusting everyone to play by the rules and make sure that the primary remixer is changing every round.

How many rounds are there?

Rounds are grouped into blocks. We will be doing three blocks this year, so that works out to nine rounds. There is also the possibility for extra rounds either in between blocks or at the end. I have not made any decisions regarding those yet.

I'm not a remixer but I want to take part somehow. What can I do to help?

We need sigs and artwork and stuff, so if you're good with The Photoshop, that would be a big help. Also spread the word and let the internet know what's going on.

This brings back some memories - here's where it all began for me. ;)

I'm not sure if my mixing skills have improved much at all, but I'll give it my best effort! :D

Edit: Awesome! Energy Tank is refilled! I'm looking forward to teaming up with you again, Jesse and Zach! :D

My picks, good sir:

1. Pump Man - Mega Man 10

2. Bright Man - Mega Man 4

3. Aqua Man - Mega Man 8

4. Cloud Man - Mega Man 7

5. Ring Man - Mega Man 4

Thank you (and thanks, DarkeSword, for hosting this competition, once again!)

Edited by Mr. L
Clarification. Added in links... just because. ;)

Me, Theory of N, and Hylian Lemon were talking about teaming up, let me confirm with them and then I'll post my picks

EDIT: Got confirmation from both, let's rock this joint

PICKS:

1. Tengu Man (Saturn)

2. Flame Man

3. Knight Man

4. Tengu Man (PSX)

5. Charge Man

ecto and I have already started talking shit on each other. This is going to be fun :D

Edited by Phonetic Hero

This brings back some memories - here's where it all began for me. ;)

I'm not sure if anything's changed, overall... but if anyone would have me on their team, I'd be honored to join this competition.

Your resident cellar-dwellers are pulling out Item-1, Item-2, AND Item-3 to prove we're better than last time. Energy Tank returns with Mr. L, zach72, and Xarnax42.

EDIT:

1. Wind Man

2. Stone Man

3. Bright Man

4. Metal Man

5. Plug Man

Edited by Xarnax42

Here's my picks:

1. Elec Man (MM1)

2. Splash Woman (MM9)

3. Quick Man (MM2)

4. Snake Man (MM3)

5. Heat Man (MM2)

I'm happy to work with anyone, let me know if you're interested.

I'm not necessarily a free agent, but if you're interested, let me know ;o

Hey ecto, I'd be interested in joining you, if you'll have me.

Of course if you choose halc instead...yeah better choice.

Edited by Cash

Hey Darke, can we sign up with GB robot masters?

Also: Robot Masters untaken from past compos:

MM1: Guts Man, Ice Man, Oil Man

MM4: Bright Man, Drill Man, Pharaoh Man, Dive Man

MM5: Gyro Man, Star Man

MM6: Centaur Man, Flame Man

MM7: Freeze Man, Junk Man, Cloud Man

MM8: Tengu Man (PSX and Saturn, Astro Man, Sword Man, Clown Man, Aqua Man

MM9: Concrete Man

MM10: Strike Man, Commando Man

Edited by NovaReaper

Hey Darke, can we sign up with GB robot masters?

Also: Robot Masters untaken from past compos:

MM1: Guts Man, Ice Man, Oil Man

MM4: Bright Man, Drill Man, Pharaoh Man, Dive Man

MM5: Gyro Man, Star Man

MM6: Centaur Man, Flame Man

MM7: Freeze Man, Junk Man, Cloud Man

MM8: Tengu Man (PSX and Saturn, Astro Man, Sword Man, Clown Man, Aqua Man

MM9: Concrete Man

MM10: Strike Man, Commando Man

Edit: Am a free agent, also getting people together.

Nope. Only themes from the games listed, please.

Edited by DarkeSword

Triple Edit: Team confirmed! Cash and Change, Trism, and myself.

Hey, Darkesword, would it be all right if we chose team names after the Robot Master draft? It might be better to have names that are more thematic of the team, rather than just random Mega Man nouns pulled out of a hat. Although I have some ideas on that front anyway. Also, when do we get to find out about your big secret twist?

My picks:

1) Toad Man

2) Bright Man

3) Fire Man

4) Drill Man

5) Pharaoh Man

Edit:

Me, Theory of N, and Hylian Lemon were talking about teaming up, let me confirm with them and then I'll post my picks

EDIT: Got confirmation from both, let's rock this joint

This just sank in. Holy hell, the three of you could come up with some crazy good chiptune wackiness. Looking forward to it!

Edit 4: Replaced Slash Man due to excessive popularity. Just in case anyone is crazy enough to fight me for Toad Man.

Edited by MindWanderer

Hey, Darkesword, would it be all right if we chose team names after the Robot Master draft? It might be better to have names that are more thematic of the team, rather than just random Mega Man nouns pulled out of a hat. Although I have some ideas on that front anyway. Also, when do we get to find out about your big secret twist?

Team names aren't required right now, just your draft picks. But they do need to be Mega Man themed when you pick them.

If I told you anything about the twist, it wouldn't be a twist. Sheesh.

Arghhhhhhhhh uggggghhhhhhhhhhh... I shouldn't be signing up for this, but I. JUST. CAN'T. RESIST. MEGA MAN. :-x Ok I'm in. My only caveat is that I'm going to be away for the first two weeks of October, so if this compo is still going on at that point, then I'll need to schedule my round around that. Here go's:

1. Sheep Man (MM10)
  2. Metal Man (MM2)
  3. Jewel Man (MM9)
  4. Burst Man (MM7)
  5. Quick Man (MM2)

TEAM: Amphibious, SuperiorX, Gario

Edited by SuperiorX
updated picks

Yess. I'm joining Phonetic Hero and Theory of N for a change of pace. I hope to see a lot of new teams.

My picks:

1. Slash Man (MM7)

2. Crystal Man (MM5)

3. Wave Man (MM5)

4. Jewel Man (MM9)

5. Fire Man (MM1)

I considered Star Man...but I think I want to save that one for a GRMRB. Strategy and all that.

Edited by Hylian Lemon