SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2014 [TheGuitahHeroe wins - complete ZIP available!]

SuperiorX

Ooo. I finally get to do a Chemical Plant Zone Remix, mixed with my theme of course =D. I'm interested, and looking forward to what you produce, urdailywater, so may the force be with you, in that regards =D! I'll be attempting to check out everyones first round over the following weekdays.

So far things are going awesome and I hope the same goes for you! It's gonna be a little tricky fitting in Spring Yard but it'll all work well!

I want to know what VST Hakstock used for the violin in his remix. I've been looking a long time for something to take the place of a fiddle and would love to have that sound.

Right now my string collection is just EWQLSO Gold and a bunch of unusable crap.

Not a VST but a soundfont. Like, a free .sf2 one. I use only free stuff anyway :tomatoface:

http://packages.debian.org/source/squeeze/fluid-soundfont

They couldn't make that site any more confusing could they? 5 minutes into surfing it and I still can't figure out what i'm supposed to be downloading. :)

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/fluid-soundfont/fluid-soundfont_3.1.orig.tar.gz

That's amazing. I used Fluid for my first attempt at a remix, and got torn apart for using poor samples. Massaging that into something that sounds as good as your mixes in more than impressive.

The thing is, I usually use lots of higher quality free samples (this is like the 2nd time I've used Fluid in a mix). There's lots of great stuff out there if you know where to look. :)

Thanks for the feedback, Sir_NutS and Mirby!

I completely agree that my track wasn't cohesive enough. I wanted to start over with a better direction, but I didn't have enough time. I tried to make my track cohesive, unfortunately it just didn't fit as well as I had hoped. It was still fun to make!

I hope everyone is enjoying the Sonic Bracket Round 1 match-ups! There was quite a wide variety of tracks submitted! I just wanted to remind everyone that when voting, you need to place a vote in each match-up for the round in order for your votes to count. This includes participants as well: you need to place a vote in your own match-up. Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Robotnik Bracket puts out this week. There are some really interesting combos! Let's go for NO drops!!! :-D

Edited by SuperiorX

That's amazing. I used Fluid for my first attempt at a remix, and got torn apart for using poor samples. Massaging that into something that sounds as good as your mixes in more than impressive.

Fluid is great, I love using it for its percussion and harp. I really love the vibraslap, chimes, and especially its sleigh bells. So smooth with the right reverb. :)

Edited by timaeus222

Going to take this opportunity to say some stuff. Because, why not, eh?

First and foremost, Disambiguity. I really REALLY want to say thank you for still bringing us a battle. I know there was a moment where you considered not submitting your work so the fact that you still showed up wins my respect.

I would have honestly given you my vote for that alone, but this ended up becoming somewhat of a (and i don't know how) Zone Runners debut for us and i would probably kick myself later if i didn't vote for my zone running homie, lol.

But seriously, thanks for battling us and whoever ends up winning our bout i'll still salute you for a good match! No doubt. Thank you. :)

On to other matters, quick thoughts

Wildfire - bloody loved it. I was getting OutRun vibes from this. Hoping you're bringing some of this flavour to that Sonic R project of yours because, hell YES PLEASE!

Jason - if you had given me an extra minute of that song chances are you might have honestly gotten my vote. Just wished it could have been a minute or so longer. Great work, those lyrics are very catchy too.

halc - doc, i don't even want to know how we made this song so fast. We have songs on the album that have taken months to craft, and then for a SZRC battle we knock a full tune out within 5 days. Zone Runners, baby. Aoooow!~♪ ((seriously, when did this guy start rapping anyway? Why am i even here?))

Sir NutS - Absolutely unepxected, but very well made, i thoroughly enjoyed that. Which one of your two was rapping on that tune, out of curiosity?

DJ Max-E - This match up was tough for me to vote on. Max-E, honestly, i've been listening to your music for a long time and i'm a supporter of your work. I can't fault your production skills, you are great at what you create. It will be good to see how far you do go in this competition since this is your first time around. I wanted to give you my vote but ...just ...something about your opponents track caught my ear and wouldn't leave. But you got the skills down, i know you've got it in you to go far in this competition.

Xenonetix - Let me put it to you like this. You somehow stopped me from voting for Max-E. I don't know what it was about your song but i really felt that tune. It ...i dunno ...weird as it may seem, i was getting Phantasy Star Online vibes from this track. Almost felt like battle music, at points. That might have been what swung my vote. But seriously, nice one and great work.

Hakstok - What can i say? Beautiful.

Ryan Jobson - That bassline was most definitely kicking, i really liked what you did with that.

Amphibious - well, you don't mess around, huh? Right out the gate with the smoothness. That transition in to Marble zone was flawless. Just, yeah. Take my vote and run with it.

Cash - Very fun, very bouncy, you have a nice little song here. Good stuff.

SupX - You already know how much of a fan i am of your synth works, dude. You seriously didn't disappoint with this track. The added scratch samples are real neat. Anybody might start thinking you've been hanging with those O'ssembled boys too much, you're getting all street and urban now, lol XD

Trism - You really did hit hard with this track. Them drums, man. Jeeez.

jnWake - Love that Green Hill breakdown in the middle, very nice touch. Good song overall, loving the guitars.

Brandon Strader - You was all about bringing the Butt Hill zone. I turn up to see if there is any Butt Hill zone. There's no Butt Hill zone. Next time you'd better bring double the Butt! :<

Alright, i'm done. Bloody hell, i never write an abridged version of these comments, do i? x_x;;

Death Egg and Bridge zones should go reasonably well together. I'm trying to break out the bass and the guitar for some simple punk-like action, but we'll see if I have the opportunity..

I'm not sure I'll be able to listen until the Sega Mixer Drive show, but I'll try to make it! It's really nice to see so much feedback given. I'll try to write some short comments as well.

--Eino

REVIEWS GET

wildfire - Dug some of the sound choices here. Vocals could definitely be clearer. Arrangement was nice, but a lot of the base sounds that the song started out with got stale and could use more variation.

Jason Covenant - The wildfire lyric was a pretty neat shout out. Soundscape sounds bare in some spots, but the instrumentation that's there works well - I especially like the percussive stuff at 1:54. Obviously it's not finished, so the ending is sooner than it should be.

halc - duuuude I didn't know you could rap. I like the rhythm in your flow, and the beat is well arranged and complements the rap beautifully. Things sounded a bit crowded around the first refrain when both voices came in, but that's a nitpick. Looking forward to Zone Runners 2014!

Disambiguity - most of the soundscape here is thin. Drums are pretty wimpy as well. Try to fit more voices that fill out the sonic spectrum (no pun intended). Bring out your drums a lot - I'm not sure if there's any kick in there at all, and if there is, I need to hear it.

Sir_NutS - Things sounded a bit crowded, It sounds like the distortion in the bass is muddying up things when more voices come in, but I might be wrong. Lyrics are tight though and so are all the vocals, and the arrangement is pretty solid as well.

DJ Max-E - soundscape sounds pretty empty after the first swell. arrangement is a little disjointed as well - each swell seems to divide the piece into its own thing. The drums are solid, punchy, and well arranged though, so nice work on that.

Xenonetix - Drums are pretty wimpy, especially the kick. While different sounds are wider than others, most of them sound pretty center heavy (and fit in a similar frequency range), so pan them wider and use EQ to clean up the mix. Leads work pretty well for the most part.

Hakstok - Synth lead sounds a bit loud and forward when it first comes in. Bass is nice and wide, I like it. There are some spots where the fiddle sounds fake, but the mix covers up some of the bad spots so it's not too apparent. Wobble bass seemed a little out of place. Ending is a little cheesy, but the rest of the piece is certainly charming.

Ryan Jobson - Sounds a bit empty and some of the synths are a little vanilla, but the arrangement does a nice job of switching between both sources, so nice work. I liked the bellish arp that came in at :57. Kick can come out some as well.

Amph - Smoov as fuck. What kind of drums are you using? They sound real nice. Arrangement does well with both sources. I loved the acapella stuffs.

Cash - Soundscape is a tad empty. Drums can be brought out. Synths are getting a bit more complex than your older stuff, so nice work on the improvement. Ending is a tad odd.

SupX - Diggin the pads. Arrangement is helllllla good feels and I'm all about it. Sonic 3 voice samples were a nice touch. Your swells and transitions are always impressive and I'm jelly.

Trism - Also diggin the pad work in the beginning here. Drums are interesting as well. Song is slow to get to the source though - A solid lead doesn't really come in until halfway through the piece.

jnWake - Beginning atmosphere is nice - I like the tone on that flute. Whoa, interesting shift to rock guitars. Lead guitar seems too far back in the mix, especially when compared to the rhythm guitars. Nice job bringing the flute back in, it works well with everything else.

Thanks for all the reviews errybody. I may try to post some thoughts myself, though I've tried to make that promise in the past and never delivered :< Sometimes I get busy! But I must say that it was a great batch of songs this week. A few raps even, which is something I initially considered for my mix :P Maybe another time!

Amph - Smoov as fuck. What kind of drums are you using? They sound real nice. Arrangement does well with both sources. I loved the acapella stuffs.

The drums I'm using are the Abbey Road 60s Kit from Native Instruments. It came with Komplete 7 when I got it a while back, I've been using them a lot more lately. They sound reeeeal nice, I love 'em.

Wildfire - Great vibe! I would have liked to hear the vocals brought to the front a bit more. Some parallel mixing might help that. Otherwise, great track!

Jason Covenant - Short and sweet. I really don't have too much to nitpick on this one other than it could have been developed a bit more.

Halc - Nice production and collaboration. While rap is not one of my favorite things, I can appreciate what you put together here.

Disambiguity - It's a good start but definitely needs more development.

Sir_NutS - Nice tune! I think my only complaint is that I would have liked to hear a bit more clarity in vocals. It was just a tad bit on the muddy side for me.

DJ Max - The song has a very interesting evolution to it. Sometimes I feel like it evolves too much, though. Otherwise, great piece!.

Xenonetix - Too many sounds seem to be occupying the same sonic space. EQ could fix that. Some sounds really jump out of the mix and need a bit of taming. Nice composition, though!

Ivan - Nice production! My biggest compliant is the wub wub sound that comes in around 2:50. It sounds out of place and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Ryan - Nice song and very cohesive. It does the job! It could use one or two more sounds in it, though.

Amphibious - I love the jazz elements! That gets two thumbs up in my book. The little vocal bit around 3:00 is cool but I think it was a bit too dry.

Cash - Nice composition albeit is a bit on the sparse side. Some sounds pop out of the mix a bit too much and could use some taming.

SuperiorX - Good production. Nice composition. The scratching type sounds jump a bit too far out of the mix for my taste, though.

Trism - Too much pumping going on with compression for my taste. The sound that spreads out to the far left and right at the beginning is harsh and a bit painful sounding. Good composition, though!

jnWake - The lead guitar sits a bit too much in the same sonic space as the rhythm guitar. I'd have like to hear it come forward a bit more. Nice guitar work, though! The panning of the hat near the half way point seemed a bit weird to me. Good tune!