Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Didn't they say the game was almost complete and they were just tweaking it?

I should hope that won't take until '08. Jeez.

Also, I was watching the Nintendo World trailer and I noticed again that the levels all look kind of like static platforms with moving backgrounds, which would be uber-lame. I'm hoping that we see some of the cool level design from Melee return, because so far I'm unimpressed.

It's one of those things that could make or break the game.

They need to add some stuff like DOA where you can knock people over objects and off of platforms. I mean yeah Smash Bros already kind of does this, but I'm thinking to a much more interactive method. Like in DOA, if you slam someone up against a fallen tree, they don't just bounce off of it, they trip over it fly head-over-heels over to the other side. And if you knock someone down a staircase, they don't just fall over and then stand back up, they fall and then roll and/or trip/fall all the way down the staircase. And there's a lot of breakable stuff. Throwing someone into a pile of crates sends splinters everywhere.

I think the one thing that Smash Bros hasn't really touched on is this kind of environmental interactivity. Judging by what has been shown in the trailers, the only new ineraction with the environment is breaking platforms and changing night into day and vice versa.

Personally, I hope they fix the character inability to grab the edge when facing the other way. I'm not a tourneyfag balance-focused player, so I can't really see how it would make or break a game, but it drives me nuts that I'm easily close enough to the edge, but my character won't grab it because he's facing the other way for whatever reason (MARIO'S CAPE).

I'm hoping that we see some of the cool level design from Melee return, because so far I'm unimpressed.

Yeah 'cause if we don't have cool moving levels, we won't be able to ban them in tourneys and force players to use a flat static level with a moving background.

Personally, I hope they fix the character inability to grab the edge when facing the other way. I'm not a tourneyfag balance-focused player, so I can't really see how it would make or break a game, but it drives me nuts that I'm easily close enough to the edge, but my character won't grab it because he's facing the other way for whatever reason (MARIO'S CAPE).

You don't have to be a tourneyfag like me to realize that it would look dumb a shit if you could grab the edge backwards. Now granted Melee doesn't have the most realistic physics or anything, but the game has to have some semblance of rules.

I'm pretty sure if they wanted to change that, they would have done it in Melee. Plus you said yourself that Mario's cape causes you to miss the edge. Maybe that's why they left out the ability grab the edge backwards. And IRL its not terribly easy to grab and hang onto a ledge when you are facing the wrong way.

You don't have to be a tourneyfag like me to realize that it would look dumb a shit if you could grab the edge backwards. Now granted Melee doesn't have the most realistic physics or anything, but the game has to have some semblance of rules.

But you still aren't giving me a real, balance-related reason that you shouldn't be able to grab the edge from behind you. I can't think of a single character incapable of having an animation of swinging one arm behind them, grabbing the edge, and pulling themselves around to face it. Or, God forbid, turning around in midair before grabbing it.

I'm pretty sure if they wanted to change that, they would have done it in Melee. Plus you said yourself that Mario's cape causes you to miss the edge. Maybe that's why they left out the ability grab the edge backwards. And IRL its not terribly easy to grab a ledge when you are facing the wrong way.

Mario's cape is one of the easier things to be an edgeguarding ass with. If they left it out because of the cape, I'm willing to trust their game balancing, but to be honest, that seems to me like a really tiny reason to do something as game-altering as not letting you grab the edge behind you.

IRL it's not easy to do a lot of the things Melee characters do, like shooting a Super Scope behind your back. That's not really a great defense.

Mario's cape is one of the easier things to be an edgeguarding ass with. If they left it out because of the cape, I'm willing to trust their game balancing, but to be honest, that seems to me like a really tiny reason to do something as game-altering as not letting you grab the edge behind you.

I'm not saying Mario's cape is the only reason, I was just using an example. How often do you find yourself facing the wrong way anway? It rarely happens to me. Sure it wuld be nice on a stage like Corneria, where I could jump backwards and grab the tail fin to haul myself up, but is itreally that hard to just turn around first? I can't recall any time wher I specifically couldn't turn around in time to catch the edge properly. I'm not saying its never happened, but I don't think it is something that happenes often enough for it to change.

I'm not saying Mario's cape is the only reason, I was just using an example. How often do you find yourself facing the wrong way anway? It rarely happens to me. Sure it wuld be nice on a stage like Corneria, where I could jump backwards and grab the tail fin to haul myself up, but is itreally that hard to just turn around first? I can't recall any time wher I specifically couldn't turn around in time to catch the edge properly. I'm not saying its never happened, but I don't think it is something that happenes often enough for it to change.

To be honest, it seems to happen to me more often as Falcon than any other character, and I'm not sure why. Ness' skyscraper stage (the one with the UFO... I think it's Fourside) has those two buildings on the right side, where it seems to happen more than on any other stage - save yourself using an up+B move to get over an edgeguarder, but then you don't have enough umph to get to the ledge on the center building, so instead you take the plunge because the game won't let you grab the left edge on the right building.

Definitely doesn't happen every match, but it's certainly an annoyance I'd like to see fixed.

EDIT: In response to the whole "moving stage" thing, I completely agree. Big Blue, despite its hecticness, is one of my all-time favorites (on the other hand, Brinstar and Brinstar Depths certainly aren't. Please let Samus' stages not suck this time...). Also, bring back Hyrule Castle and Temple as past stages. Just sayin'.

one thing you can do to turn around in midair is press up and in the opposite direction you are facing. Then do a neutral b move like mario's fireball and you will turn around in midair. That is a check that the creators put in the game against facing the wrong direction.

Also, you mentioned fourside being a difficult level to return to after being knocked between the two buildings on the right side of the stage. I think Falcon can jump off of walls like mario, so you should wall jump as your primary means of returning. Save your up-B if you know you're opponent is waiting for it and just remember that Falcon and Ganon's up-B are easy as crap to read. You have to be very creative to out smart a good edge guarding character with them.

If you want to be a jerk to whomever you play against, be Peach. Kill them once on fourside, then jump inbetween the two buildings on the right side of the stage and wall bomb it until the forfiet or time runs out

Yeah 'cause if we don't have cool moving levels, we won't be able to ban them in tourneys and force players to use a flat static level with a moving background.

Touche.

Still, I couldn't help but notice how blatantly obvious it looked on Metaknight's level in the trailer that only the background was moving. It looked pretty terrible.

I mean, at least Final Destination looked like it had continuity.

So I just hosted my first tournament last Thursday at my school. Nothing big, so we had 28 people show up. It was cool, but damn I didn't know it took so much work to run a tournament! From setting up to announcing matches and running the bracket to breaking down, I was exhausted by the end of the day. But it was a great experience, and I hope to learn from it and start hosting bigger events in the future.

So I just hosted my first tournament last Thursday at my school. Nothing big, so we had 28 people show up. It was cool, but damn I didn't know it took so much work to run a tournament! From setting up to announcing matches and running the bracket to breaking down, I was exhausted by the end of the day. But it was a great experience, and I hope to learn from it and start hosting bigger events in the future.

I feel your pain, man. I've hosted a tournament before and it is a lot of work. Congrats on holding your first tournament, though. 28 us a pretty solid number. Did you participate as well? If so, how did you do?

Did you have good bracket creation software or did you do yours by hand? I used tourney maker for my competition and it made things much easier. If you'd like it, just pm me or something.

Since certain characters jumps keep them spinning, they can grab the edge when facing the wrong way. Link or Bowser are an example. So I think it would be nice if those character who are disadvantaged by this should be allowed to grab a ledge backwards.

Also, it would be nice if Luigi could sweetspot with his SmashB, and if airdodges didn't have such horrible lag for grabbing the ledge. I mean, you should be able to airdodge into a ledge to sweetspot it, as an alternative to your return UpB. This would especially help Zelda and Yoshi. Zelda, because it's always a risk to do Farore's Wind, it being so easily punishable with its high lag. Yoshi, because he doesn't have a third jump.

I feel your pain, man. I've hosted a tournament before and it is a lot of work. Congrats on holding your first tournament, though. 28 us a pretty solid number. Did you participate as well? If so, how did you do?

Did you have good bracket creation software or did you do yours by hand? I used tourney maker for my competition and it made things much easier. If you'd like it, just pm me or something.

Yeah, I participated as well. I managed to come in second:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=103416

Hartford, CT Tournament Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Singles

1. Nus

2. Jam Stunna

3. Xeno

4. Erci

5. Luis

5. Beware

7. Devlo

7. Bosnian

9. Jaime

9. Hollywood

9. Ray

9. Mrs. Groovy

13. EJA

13. ATC

13. Oreo

13. Steve

17. J Easy

17. Vicious

17. Toxic

17. Juan

17. Kyle

17. Ace

17. Bogdan

17. Everton

25. Juan 2

25. Mey

25. Anthany

25. Franchise

I sent Nus to the loser's bracket when we played earlier in the tournament, but he got his revenge in the finals. I used Tournament Maker 2, and it definitely did help, because there's no way I could do a double-elimination bracket by hand. It was alot of fun, definitely.

Cool stuff. It's good that you have braket software. And great job getting second.

I got like 8th at my own tourney....Lost first to a really good falcon, then later to a nub ICs.

Hideous, I'd have to agree with what you said about making it easier to sweet spot with the air dodge of certain characters. Yoshi and Zelda are at a major disadvantage because of that. I don't know about Luigi being allowed to sweet spot with his foward b, though. It seems fair enough to have one unlimited horizontal recovery (fwd-B) and one single use upward one (upB) and that is aside form his air dodge and air jump.

I'm still not sure about beimg able to grab a ledge backwards. I haven't been reading much at Smashboards lately or anything, but it just seems like a bad idea.

Kind of like the Ice Climbers (OOHHH, BURN!)

Cool stuff. It's good that you have braket software. And great job getting second.

I got like 8th at my own tourney....Lost first to a really good falcon, then later to a nub ICs.

Yeah, Nus used Falco, which is one of the characters I have the greatest difficulty against. I use the IC, but it's hard to chaingrab a character that can shine you right out of a shield grab. Oh well, we'll see how I do next time.