Nintendo DS

The Damned

Is it me or does New Super Mario Bros REALLY remind me of Donkey Kong Country games. It especially reminds of of DKC on the underwater parts of the game heh.

Do not speak of that game until your american postal service gets it here. RadEx!

Is it me or does New Super Mario Bros REALLY remind me of Donkey Kong Country games. It especially reminds of of DKC on the underwater parts of the game heh.
I remember thinking of Donkey Kong Country after just seeing a trailer with an underwater level it. I didn't know anyone else thought so :)

I remember thinking of Donkey Kong Country after just seeing a trailer with an underwater level it. I didn't know anyone else thought so :)

I was thinking that too after playing it today.

I'm listening to the Minigames Menu music again and again... Just "finished" (final boss & credits, not 100% of course, there is a LONG way to get them) the game.

The musics are really excellent, and I LOVE when the goombas, koopas etc dance with the background music in the levels. Stupid Goomba, because of that, you've killed me once -_-

Wow, I just got NSMB for myself, and I can honestly say, I'm stunned.

I figured it'd turn out as one of two things:

1: Deviate so far from the formula that it doesn't feel like Mario and therefor be incredibly disappointing

or 2: Feel like classic Mario, but only because it seems like one big rehash.

It's neither. It honestly retains the Mario feel while keeping it fresh. It's like I'm playing in the NES/SNES era all over again. Best 35 dollars I've spent in a long time :D

NSMB freaking rocks, period. It's the first game I've ever gotten my non-gamer friend to play, and he loved it. It's exactly like Vyse said: it feels like Mario without feeling stagnant. 1Up for you, Nintendo (they even kept stuff like the "run over the top of level 1-2" and "jump on the koopa shell on the pyramid blocks to get infinite 1Up's").

I just finished unlocking every level/world, now I'm trying to get those 3 coins in every level.
:nicework:

I have yet to beat the game... and I play it every day. I am just not that good at games like Mario :P

Heh, just keep at it. :) Before I bought it, I'd been playing SMB3, SMW, and Yoshi's Island on my DS, so I had the controls down really quickly. I also changed the control scheme to to the AB style instead of the YB style to match the GBA configuration.

I don't know about you, but I'm not really too sure on getting that game. I know that it's a new adventure for Mario and his first 2D sidescroller in quite a while, which I know I have come to respect when it comes to the wishes of the fans. However, I don't know about you but every Mario game of this type sounds like the same; go through the Mushroom kingdom, use powerups to make yourself big/shoot stuff/fly/be invincible etc, fight koopa/shy guy driven enemies, ride the occasional Yoshi, tackle ghost houses, climb pipes, collect lots of coins and eventually rescue Princess Peach from Bowser.

I'm not saying it's bad, but I just want to see a DS Mario title (other than Kart DS/Superstar Saga >.>) that deviates from this tiring format, if you know what I mean.

Wow, I never noticed the Goombas n such dancing to certain parts of a song.

When there is the voice during some musics,

Goombas & Items -> jump ,

Koopas (red/green) -> pose with style :D

and the "little fishes" (forgot the name) -> do a barrel (underwater levels, you hear a little 'ting')

That's really funny.

Thank you Nintendo !

I don't know about you, but I'm not really too sure on getting that game. I know that it's a new adventure for Mario and his first 2D sidescroller in quite a while, which I know I have come to respect when it comes to the wishes of the fans. However, I don't know about you but every Mario game of this type sounds like the same; go through the Mushroom kingdom, use powerups to make yourself big/shoot stuff/fly/be invincible etc, fight koopa/shy guy driven enemies, ride the occasional Yoshi, tackle ghost houses, climb pipes, collect lots of coins and eventually rescue Princess Peach from Bowser.

I'm not saying it's bad, but I just want to see a DS Mario title (other than Kart DS/Superstar Saga >.>) that deviates from this tiring format, if you know what I mean.

I think the whole point is that we haven't had a good one of these in over a decade.

Sure, if we were getting them every year like some series it'd be incredibly annoying, but this only exists because fans have been waiting for years on end for more.

Still, if you really don't want to risk it if the same formula will annoy you, perhaps you should hold out till Yoshi's Island 2? I figure it changed up the Mario formula enough that the sequal should be plenty entertaining. :D

Well, the whole hoople comes from the fact that the formula is fun. Everytime. This that formula, reinvented. With new levels and powerups, it's a new package to the formula. If you didn't like it at first, it probably won't appeal to you now. But it's been 15 years since an original one. So this ends up being a nose punch of nostalgia. Awesome.

I've got a question for you - in watching three NSMB gameplay movies on IGN, I heard three slightly different versions of the exact same song. Is that a problem? Is the music really annoying like that because much of it is the same? Or was it just chance that those three movies happened to have those and there's actually quite a bit more music than I've heard?

I've got a question for you - in watching three NSMB gameplay movies on IGN, I heard three slightly different versions of the exact same song. Is that a problem? Is the music really annoying like that because much of it is the same? Or was it just chance that those three movies happened to have those and there's actually quite a bit more music than I've heard?

The game is great, but the music is pretty much shit. Atleast compared to the masterpiece of past Mario games' Koji Kondo compositions.

On second thought, the music is shit even taking out the comparison. Nintendo's DS games have been great, but musically, they have been lacking IMO. MK:DS pretty much had some of the worst sound/music design for the series and NSMB's music is at times grating. I turn the music off and play MP3s instead.