Sign in to follow this  
The Damned

Nintendo DS

I recall many reviews saying that FF6 for GBA was a lot easier than the original, citing lower level bosses and fewer random encounters.

Having never picked it up, I can only go by said reviews. Surely someone has it and can verify.

It's slightly easier, but strangely enough, I am taking a lot more time to do it. Haven't died so far but my mastery over FF6 was pretty much total and I rarely lost more than one character per hour of play. The esper cave was, however, quite the habitual bitch, but then again, it was easier than usually (especially the hidden ninja that was pulverised where as it used to be a tough fight.)

Actually the game is definitely easier than the old version. Less encounters, less power and speed of enemies. And only a few optional bosses are any real challenge.

Though the worst sin of the game is that the GBA simply can't handle SNES-like sounds.

I just finished playing through the 3rd Phoenix Wright game this morning (stayed up until 3:00 playing it...yes!)

It's absolutely incredible. The 5th case was a whirlwind of awesome start to finish. If any of you guys played the first one, get this now (even if you didn't like the 2nd that much) -- it's a great read, and a real tribute to the text-based games of our parents generation.

I'll be getting it...in like October or whenever it was delayed to. So, aside from PW, Phantom Hourglass, and I guess Ninja Gaiden (even though it looks like you need to have played the recent games to get this story and I haven't played a Ninja Gaiden game since the third one on the NES) is there anything else coming out this year to keep an eye on? Luminous Arc looks kinda cool, but I have an incredible backload of RPGs right now so I'm not in a hurry to pick it up.

I just finished playing through the 3rd Phoenix Wright game this morning (stayed up until 3:00 playing it...yes!)

It's absolutely incredible. The 5th case was a whirlwind of awesome start to finish. If any of you guys played the first one, get this now (even if you didn't like the 2nd that much) -- it's a great read, and a real tribute to the text-based games of our parents generation.

I guess I'm old enough to be a parent generation...

I guess I'm old enough to be a parent generation...

Wait...I've played Zork...and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...and I'm coding a faux text adventure...

I'm 19, and there's no way in HECK I'm part of a "parent generation."

Then again, he might be referring to when they were released...which is stupid, as people are still making text adventures. They're just a little more...artsy.

It's one thing to play Zork. It's another thing to actually go to a store to buy a Zork or Ultima or King's Quest then play it. While paying $50 a pop.

That's quite true.

I was just reacting to the insinuation that "text-based games" being a part of "our parent's generation" when there's plenty of good, new, text adventures about today. And they're free, at that.

Of course, rereading the comment sheds light on my false assumption. Which sure makes an ass outta me.

it's a great read, and a real tribute to the text-based games of our parents generation.
Get ye flask? ;-)

Feeling sad since I'm still working on the 1st PW, having picked it up in June...

I liked the second act too, but the third one doesn't seem to be related to any of the main characters and it doesn't have the excuse of being an introductory case.

I think PW2 is following the footsteps of PW1. PW1's Steel Samurai case didn't have anything to do with the main plot unless you count Maya's obsession...

It's one thing to play Zork. It's another thing to actually go to a store to buy a Zork or Ultima or King's Quest then play it. While paying $50 a pop.

That's more of what I was going for -- obviously I enjoy text adventures, or I wouldn't be playing through PW. I played King's Quest and Wizardry when I was younger (I'm 22, for reference) and still didn't hit the original releases. Goblin Quest 3 was especially memorable.

With that said, I wasn't old enough to buy those myself -- the first computer games I remember receiving as "mine" instead of my dad's were Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit.

Phoenix Wright is great, but I think most people are over its initial shock factor of it being a lawyer game. And typical Capcom, it's insanely repetitive now.

Well, the upcoming one (4) seems to be a bit different. Let's hope it's the case.

Regardless, I just finished 3 and am still amazed by the series, especially after the last case in this one.