Sign in to follow this  
The Damned

Nintendo DS

So.. Advance Wars 2... (DS)

EDIT: Check the link for more details, these initial impressions aren't completely accurate

--------------------

Just came back from the Micromania Games Show 2007 in Paris, where there was a crapload of things to play, and among them, much to my surprise :

1.jpg

Well, I couldn't play for long, and security held us off for taking other pics, but enough to give quick impressions. AW DS 2 did receive a compelte overhaul in terms of design. Gone are Max, Andy and the others, replaced by a whole new crew. IS went with a whole new, more realistic, miltary look, and quite frankly, it seemed like a pretty wise move

Graphically-wise, the look went with the new design, though it looked pretty much the same. New combat animations were pretty low-quality though, blurry and badly animated. Surely that's gonna be fixed by the time it comes out. Had time to notice a new unit - bike infantry unit - and that pretty much sums it up. Hopefully other people went there and spent more time wih AW DS2.

-----------------

I wish there was an official press release on this one. I'm interested but concerned.

I've been playing some Japanese stylus-only action/rpg games lately and I am really hoping that companies start shoving it down our throats. Seriously.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Great. Getting great reviews. You know what you doing. A bit easy, but if this is where Nintendo goes with its "casual" focus, I approve.

I hope it comes to the U.S. That would be awesome.

Deltora Quest: Apparently it is based off an anime based off some Australian books that are popular in Japan. This game really reminds me of the Secret of Mana games, but you only use one character at a time (the other lazy asses stay at camp while you save the world, I guess), and they move as fast as the stylus. What? Yes. You can drag them around the screen or you can tap a spot and they run to it as fast as the frickin Flash. You attack by tapping and swiping at enemies. In an open area, you can pretty much run circles around enemies, unless you get poisoned, which slows you to mere mortal speed. Super speed actually becomes a detriment when you're on top of thousand foot tall trees, though, as you'll fall to your doom dramatically (lose some health) quite easily. The top screen shows a portrait of your character and in front of them there is some tadpole/squirrel hybrid creature running along an oscillating wave and when it gets to the crest of a wave you can hear the character breathe in and then exhale as the abomination runs down the wave. I guess there's some rhythm to the combat or something. There was this one part where the game had me draw something, and I didn't know what it was for, exactly, so I drew a chick with a scythe and wrote "death" on the bottom, and a bit later in the story (many years actually; the damn paper was floating in midair in one spot for YEARS and fell at just the right time) another character found it and broke down and cried. Hilarious. And if you're still reading this, I bet you're like, WTFN? :<

I hope it comes to the U.S.

Summon Night Twin Edge: Seireitachi no Jutsu! Uh, I mean Seireitachi no Kyoumei. Basic overhead dungeon crawling action that reminds me of an RTS but there's only two characters and using melee character sucks because you just stand there and trade blows. But the ranged character is fun because you can shoot enemies and when they come after you, you can run away and they're all like "Gonna get you, Blood! Gonna get you Blood!" and you're like "Can't catch me Crip! Can't catch me Crip!" And you can take pot shots while the melee dude shanks them with a massive sword of spunky anime hero +1. I find it more fun than the GBA Summon Night games due to the lack of random battles.

May your enemies experience a slow painful death and their brood experience the same at the hands of your progeny.

Peace.

I'm out this piece.

╔╗╔═╦╗

║╚╣║║╚╗

╚═╩═╩═╝

I'm not happy with what they're doing to Advance Wars. It's following the rote path of making it more realistic while dumbing it down. Nothing was wrong with the anime style presentation.

Has anyone played this Japanese rythem based game called Ouendan or it's sequel. It is a crazy amount of fun and the sound quaility isn't that bad niether. I think Elite Beat Agents was based off of it, or the other way around, or whatever.

Browsing through link, it seems like they're not doing a complete 180. We all know how that turns out. It seems the cartoony style is still there, but toned down a bit. I hope Intelligent Systems knows what they're doing...

IS could replace the character art with stick figures and mouse turds and it would still be a great game if the gameplay and music was intact. Don't worry about it.

Has anyone played this Japanese rythem based game called Ouendan or it's sequel. It is a crazy amount of fun and the sound quaility isn't that bad niether. I think Elite Beat Agents was based off of it, or the other way around, or whatever.

Hell yes! Ouendan 1, 2, and EBA are my favorite DS games at the moment. I beat all the songs in Ouendan 1, have a couple songs to go in Ouendan 2, and beat absolutely everything in EBA, achieving the highest possible rank of Lovin' Machine with a cumulative score of 081,459,588. I can still do better of course. I only have S ranks on half the missions. ;-)

Ouendan is one of those games I can play forever. I will buy every sequel.

The same team made EBA after so many people imported the original Ouendan. Instead of just doing general localization, they took it further and stylized the thing to better suit the new intended audience. Hence some of the scenarios are a bit similar. And yes, awesomeness abounds.

The DS is looking utterly kickass right now.

So far we have:

FFTA 2

Advance Wars DS 2

Zelda

(possible) Pokemon G/S remake

(possible) Metroid Dread

PSP sold 23.37 million? That's a pretty high number too. Especially since it seems like everyone owns a DS.

A lot of people own both. Like I do.

PSP sold 23.37 million? That's a pretty high number too. Especially since it seems like everyone owns a DS.

It seems high, but then you see that the DS has sold more than twice the amount of the PSP. Then it doesn't seem like that high of a number anymore :P

(possible) Pokemon G/S remake

There's nothing substantiating that there is one. And don't get started on that screenshot with Johto in it. That still hasn't been entirely proven.

Back on topic... Toys R Us is supposed to have a deal where if you buy Phantom Hourglass, they will also give you the guide book for free. Now, I like free stuff, and I do like guidebooks (more for nostalgia than for help... that's what gamefaqs is for). But I have no idea if this deal is going on in Canada as well. Anyone know one way or the other?

There's nothing substantiating that there is one. And don't get started on that screenshot with Johto in it. That still hasn't been entirely proven.

Back on topic... Toys R Us is supposed to have a deal where if you buy Phantom Hourglass, they will also give you the guide book for free. Now, I like free stuff, and I do like guidebooks (more for nostalgia than for help... that's what gamefaqs is for). But I have no idea if this deal is going on in Canada as well. Anyone know one way or the other?

Sorry, I'm of no help here. Didn't even hear about the deal till you mentioned it.

So very excited to play Phantom Hourglass tomorrow (unless for some strange reason the EB Games I ordered it at breaks street date), but I just realized that tomorrow Chibi Robo for DS ships. I never played the Gamecube one (though I've been pretty interested in trying it out), and seeing the DS version tempts me. Dammit, too many games, not enough time.

...thats why i put "possible".

Any Pokemon players wanna help me do something wacky? I'm going to be playing a few games with friends tomorrow, and if anyone has capabilities to clone/gameshark some insane unfair legendary and wants to give it to me for free that would be awesome.

also: halo ds lol http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/02/halo-ds-plot-thickened-by-video-footage/