Mega Man X: The Sigma Fortress Remix Gauntlet 2015

DarkeSword

So it looks like this is the wrap-up of the wrap-up. So as this was my first Remix Gauntlet and I just want to reiterate how much fun it was working within a time frame! My only grip is also my favorite aspect of the RG. On the one hand It seems there is a natural pairing of skill level and ability and the heavy hitters pair up together and tend to dominate, while the newer or less versatile remixers, who are still finding their voice, tend to pair up and have a more difficult time standing on two feet, especially when everyone is on their best game. On the other hand I, love toeing it with the Titans of OCR, stand and deliver, firing line....eighth level Mario Bros. !!!! I realize that these compose were around long before me, but If there is a suggestion box somewhere I'd ask if there was a way to have independent floating champions that kind of rotate from one team to another offering helping to those who need it or just adding that little extra zest to those who are more confident, allowing the more nascent remixers to glean some wisdom from the pros. Or maybe randomized teams? IDK, I still had ​a lot fun and am surprised at what I was able to concoct in realtime. As for an Album project, if there were any of my tracks that piqued any ears, let me know and I'll have another look at them and tinker and toy. 

PS Are there any plans for another Remix Gauntlet, if so I can certainly give a preemptive "Yes" to any sign-ups

I also really enjoyed this compo! I mainly used it to test styles I'm just exploring and to improve my production skills (I'm sorry I didn't use you more tim, but I really wanted/needed to grow in production skills). I realize I didn't score much points, but I learned a lot and the competition was fierce.

I also want to thank everyone for the feedback and positive mindset. Since submissions and albums take a long time to be released, this was a very welcome method of getting feedback on a very short time. So thanks everyone for some stressful but great weeks!

EDIT: When BadAss 3 is released, I'll be available to turn this into an album. If nobody else has time to do so, I'll contact the mixers of the popular mixes around December

You shoudl check out the Remixing With the Stars competition;  it's more or less what you're describing, and it looks like the plan was to start it back up once the SFRG finished:

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/41263-remixing-with-the-stars-season-3-episode-7/

So it looks like this is the wrap-up of the wrap-up. So as this was my first Remix Gauntlet and I just want to reiterate how much fun it was working within a time frame! My only grip is also my favorite aspect of the RG. On the one hand It seems there is a natural pairing of skill level and ability and the heavy hitters pair up together and tend to dominate, while the newer or less versatile remixers, who are still finding their voice, tend to pair up and have a more difficult time standing on two feet, especially when everyone is on their best game. On the other hand I, love toeing it with the Titans of OCR, stand and deliver, firing line....eighth level Mario Bros. !!!! I realize that these compose were around long before me, but If there is a suggestion box somewhere I'd ask if there was a way to have independent floating champions that kind of rotate from one team to another offering helping to those who need it or just adding that little extra zest to those who are more confident, allowing the more nascent remixers to glean some wisdom from the pros. Or maybe randomized teams? IDK, I still had ​a lot fun and am surprised at what I was able to concoct in realtime. As for an Album project, if there were any of my tracks that piqued any ears, let me know and I'll have another look at them and tinker and toy. 

PS Are there any plans for another Remix Gauntlet, if so I can certainly give a preemptive "Yes" to any sign-ups

You shoudl check out the Remixing With the Stars competition;  it's more or less what you're describing, and it looks like the plan was to start it back up once the SFRG finished:

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/41263-remixing-with-the-stars-season-3-episode-7/

I cut my teeth on the RWS and I look forward to getting back into them once we rally enough participants, but the RG is where The Talent flows like a huge river and if your thirsty to improve yourself the RG are awash with the technical info, tips, tricks and all things in between. One of the reason I go to MAG, is to trade beer/food for help improving my remixing skills, because the pool of remixers is large and deep and they are right there in front of me and are usual willing to offer what help they can offer.  :)!!

Yeah, that was the plan, but there weren't any bites. It's a hard compo to run since it requires a commitment from at least 4 people, half of whom don't really benefit and are simply being generous with their time. It seems like it needs to go on and off periodically to reduce fatigue. I will start it up again, but not right away.

On 30/10/2015 at 10:42 AM, DarkeSword said:

Also I would Suggest to someone (not me) May organize an album Project with select tracks of esta competition. There are a lot of incredibly good music coming from the SFRG, and I think a good package Could be put together and fell like an album itself (As opposed to the standard file compos stood release). Give artists maybe a week or two to make The Necessary revisions, meet current and remastered WAV, etc. I can put together some album art too, and we can leave this as a liberation OCRI.

I am willing to do this project, if you will allow me

The album is called "Trapped in Sigma Fortress" (I think not)

1) Wanderforce - Flexstyle feat. Kingtiger & bLiNd

2) Bearings - Eino Keskitalo feat. Jorito and Tuberz McGee (Lyrics)

3) My Beerly Beerloved - Jason Covenant (Lyrics)

4) Electric Moves and Cephalopod Groove - SuperiorX

5) Firefly - Sir_NutS feat. Usa

6) Arsonist - bLiNd

7) Tiger Millionaire - Cam3

8.  MMMDop - WillRock

9) Dopplerganger Beetle  - jnWake

10) (Do not Wanna) Hurt You  - Jorito

11) Tribal Hunter - ladyWildfire

12) Caffeine Shoveling Hunter Turtloids - Ghetto Lee Lewis feat. Jason Covenant & WillRock

13) Cloud Hopping - Amphibious 

14) Laser Power  - Usa feat. Sir_NutS

Disc 2 

1) Sins of the Syndicate - Flexstyle feat. bLiNd

2) N0v0r G0nn0 Dj0nt Y0u 0p - Tuberz McGee

3) Sigma Point Engineering Vector Fortress  -. Jason Covenant feat  Ghetto Lee Lewis & WillRock (Lyrics)

4) Eww!  Seaweed! - YoshiBlade

5) Sword Scavalier - jnWake

6) Mind flip ~ - timaeus 222

7) IS NOT URSUS - Kingtiger feat. bLiNd

8. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Maverick - Cam3

9) Sublte Haystack Tribulation - Eino Keskitalo feat. Jorito & Tuberz McGee

10) Chiral - Amphibious

11) Requem for Reploid - Usa

12) Victory at the Palace - Cash

13) Leap of Faith - Ivan Hakstock

Disc 3 

1) Jumpstyle Flamethrower - bLiNd

2) Never Gonna Give (Up the Funk) - Jorito feat. Tuberz McGee (Lyrics)

3) Cyberfunk - ladyWildfire feat. EriktheFunk

4) Infinity Flight Cheat Code - DusK feat. Sir_NutS

5) Subvesion Alpha  - Flexstyle 

6) Overture 20XX - Tuberz McGee feat. Jorito (Lyrics)

7) Brewing Beerliever - Jason Covenant

8. Is not Dead Disco, Disco is a Metal Seahorse - YoshiBlade

9) Go Ahead and Jump - Ivan Hakstock

10) Flight of the Peacock - timaeus222

Disc 4 

1) Experiment - KingTiger

2) You know the game - Jorito feat. Tuberz McGee

3) Tortured by Dreams - Garpocalypse

4) Myth Lab - Ghetto Lee Lewis feat. Jason Covenant & WillRock (Lyrics)

5) We are Many, We Are One - Gario (Lyrics)

6) Beautiful Bloody Bats  - Fxsnowy

7) Gate's Secret Dream Lab  - Usa

8.  Splash Supafly - ladyWildfire

These remixes are Elected by me, but if there is an error with your comment let me know ... thanks for watching my remixes 

take your time to fix Their remixes  :wink: 

Edited by Yosh1PrisMa
Orthography

Wow, that's quite a bit list you've got there. I expected a smaller list, something like 20 tracks or so.

I guess most people aren't fully satisfied with their tracks due to deadlines and limited time and expect they'd want to take some time to polish them a bit. With this many tracks that might take a while. Not saying it's a problem, just pointing it out :)

Still gotta polish 2 of my tracks :) 

• 4 weeks later...

I am willing to do esta project, if you will allow me

The album is called "Trapped in Sigma Fortress" (I think not)

1) Wanderforce - Flexstyle feat. Kingtiger & bLiNd

2) Bearings - Eino Keskitalo feat. Jorito and Tuberz McGee (Lyrics)

3) My Beerly Beerloved - Jason Covenant (Lyrics)

4) Electric Moves and Cephalopod Groove - SuperiorX

5) Firefly - Sir_NutS feat. Use

6) Arsonist - bLiNd

7) Tiger Millionaire - Cam3

8.  MMMDop - WillRock

9) Dopplerganger Beetle  - jnWake

10) (Do not Wanna) Hurt You  - Jorito

11) Tribal Hunter - ladyWildfire

12) Caffeine Shoveling Hunter Turtloids - Ghetto Lee Lewis feat. Jason Covenant & WillRock

13) Cloud Hopping - Amphibious 

14) Laser Power  - Usa feat. Sir_NutS

Disc 2 

1) Sins of the Syndicate - Flexstyle feat. bLiNd

2) N0v0r G0nn0 Dj0nt Y0u 0p - Tuberz McGee

3) Sigma Point Engineering Vector Fortress  -. Jason Covenant feat  Ghetto Lee Lewis & WillRock (Lyrics)

4) Eww!  Seaweed! - YoshiBlade

5) Sword Scavalier - jnWake

6) Mind flip ~ - Timaeus 222

7) IS NOT URSUS - Kingtiger feat. bLiNd

8. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Maverick - Cam3

9) Sublte Haystack Tribulation - Eino Keskitalo feat. Jorito & Tuberz McGee

10) Chiral - Amphibious

11) Requem for Reploid - Usa

12) Victory at the Palace - Cash

13) Leap of Faith - Ivan Hakstock

Disc 3 

1) Jumpstyle Flamethrower - bLiNd

2) Never Gonna Give (Up the Funk) - Jorito feat. Tuberz McGee (Lyrics)

3) Cyberfunk - ladyWildfire feat. EriktheFunk

4) Infinity Flight Cheat Code - Dusk feat. Sir_NutS

5) Subvesion Alpha  - Flexstyle 

6) Overture 20XX - Tuberz McGee feat. Jorito (Lyrics)

7) Brewing Beerliever - Jason Covenant

8. Is not Dead Disco, Disco is a Metal Seahorse - YoshiBlade

9) Go Ahead and Jump - Ivan Hakstock

10) The Flight of Peacock - Timaeus222

Disc 4 

1) Experiment - KingTiger

2) You know the game - Jorito feat. Tuberz McGee

3) Tortured by Dreams - Garpocalipse

4) Myth Lab - Ghetto Lee Lewis feat. Jason Covenant & WillRock (Lyrics)

5) We are Many, We Are One - Gario (Lyrics)

6) Beautiful Bloody Bats  - Fxsnowy

7) Gate's Secret Dream Lab  - Usa

8.  Splash Supafly - ladyWildfire

These remixes are Elected by me, but if there is an error with your comment let me know ... thanks for watching my remixes 

take your time to fix Their remixes  ;-) 

That looks like every one of them but mine. :lol: You might want to narrow that down a bit.

Something more like 10~15 tracks that are likely to get on OCR would be much more manageable. If I have time later I might suggest a more specific selection. (Also, check the spellings! It's "Flight of the Peacock", not "The Flight of Peacock"; my name has no space and is not capitalized; Garpocalypse is spelled with a y; Usa is not spelled with an e; etc.)

Something more like 10~15 tracks that are likely to get on OCR would be much more manageable. If I have time later I might suggest a more specific selection. (Also, check the spellings! It's "Flight of the Peacock", not "The Flight of Peacock"; my name has no space and is not capitalized; Garpocalypse is spelled with a y; Usa is not spelled with an e; etc.)

Sorry men It was my mistake ... I was reading some reviews and as translated to Spanish whole list of remixes were translated and gave me a cerebral stroke ... well I try to make the list a little smaller thanks for your comment Mr. timaeus222  

No worries, Yoshi. :)

Okay, so, unforeseen circumstances gave me some time to suggest a list of strong candidates for a proposed OCRI package (which, remember, has lower standards than mixpost standards)! :P After listening back over the mixes, and based on what I believe would fall under that category, I've made an unorganized and then organized list below (no hate towards anyone whom I didn't pick out of the 92 tracks!). In parentheses are reservations or concerns I have about production and/or arrangement.

PRELIMINARY UNORGANIZED LIST (IN THE GENERAL ORDER OF THE ROUNDS)

- 'Rolling' - evktalo feat. Jorito & Tuberz McGee (check sibilance of vocals, consider reduction of washiness on the reverb for the rhythm guitars, and maybe lower the overall volume a bit; also, 2:17 sounds disjointed from what came before, IMO, so try figuring out a transition, including changing some notes around)

- 'Electric Moves & Cephalod Grooves' - SuperiorX (check the volume and upper treble EQ of the lead at 0:53 - 1:19 and other spots where it shows up; also, maybe think of an ending, but not crucial)

- 'Firefly' - Sir_NutS feat. Usa (would be nice if the volume was simply a few dB quieter overall, and could use a bit more clarity in the vocoded vocals though not crucial)

- 'Bounce Too High' - Ivan Hakštok (check for slight boominess from the bass)

- 'MMMDop' - WillRock

- 'Beetle Dopplerganger' - jnWake (consider a bit more of an assertive lead at 1:12 - 1:32, and at 1:43 - 2:06; I might be able to give a hand on this, btw :); also, try putting more variation in the rhythm guitar patterns)

- 'Caffeine Shoveling Hunter Turtloids' - Ghetto Lee Lewis feat. Jason Covenant & WillRock (try lowering the upper treble on the lead at 0:15 - 0:44; also, consider reducing the amount of reverb on the vocals and padding, as well as lowering the overall volume a touch)

- 'X's Demise' - pu_freak

- 'Sins of the Syndicate' - Flexstyle feat. bLiNd (could be quieter by about 3~5 dB, but that's about it) TBD

- 'Vector Point Engineering Sigma Fortress' - Jason Covenant feat. Ghetto Lee Lewis & WillRock (perhaps look into the vocal clarity, specifically the sibilant and fricative syllables. Also, extend the tail of the ending!)

- 'Mind Flip' - timaeus222 (already revised for more variation on the second half and more polished mixing! :))

- 'Requiem for a Reploid' - Usa (consider looking back over the MIDI CC automations, and lowering the overall volume by about 3~5 dB)

- 'Red Shifting Drift' - Gario (maybe try lowering the reverb a little)

- 'Flight of the Peacock' - timaeus222

- 'Gate's Secret Dream Lab' - Usa

- 'Beautiful Bloody Bats' - fxsnowy (perhaps consider asking for a live saxophone player, because it's pretty hard to humanize a sax)

PRELIMINARY ORGANIZED LIST (BY PERCEIVED ENERGY LEVEL OR ATMOSPHERE)

Aggressive/Otherwise High-Energy:

- 'Rolling' - evktalo feat. Jorito & Tuberz McGee

- 'Firefly' - Sir_NutS feat. Usa

- 'MMMDop' - WillRock

- 'Vector Point Engineering Sigma Fortress' - Jason Covenant feat. Ghetto Lee Lewis & WillRock

- 'Sins of the Syndicate' - Flexstyle feat. bLiNd TBD

- 'Caffeine Shoveling Hunter Turtloids' - Ghetto Lee Lewis feat. Jason Covenant & WillRock

- 'Mind Flip' - timaeus222

Middle-Ground/Groove-laden:

- 'Electric Moves & Cephalod Grooves' - SuperiorX

- 'Bounce Too High' - Ivan Hakštok

- 'Beetle Dopplerganger' - jnWake

- 'Red Shifting Drift' - Gario

Mellow/Chill-ish:

- 'X's Demise' - pu_freak

- 'Requiem for a Reploid' - Usa

- 'Flight of the Peacock' - timaeus222

- 'Gate's Secret Dream Lab' - Usa

- 'Beautiful Bloody Bats' - fxsnowy

PRELIMINARY ORGANIZED LIST (AS PROPOSED TRACKLIST)

Disc 1 (0:33:39)

1. MMMDop - WillRock

2. Electric Moves & Cephalopod Grooves - SuperiorX

3. Beetle Dopplerganger - jnWake

4. Rolling - evktalo feat. Jorito & Tuberz McGee

5. Caffeine Shoveling Hunter Turtloids - Ghetto Lee Lewis feat. Jason Covenant & WillRock

6. Beautiful Bloody Bats - fxsnowy

7. Requiem for a Reploid - Usa

8. X's Demise - pu_freak

Disc 2 (0:28:54)

1. Bounce Too High - Ivan Hakštok

2. Flight of the Peacock - timaeus222

3. TBD

4. Firefly - Sir_NutS feat. Usa

5. Red Shifting Drift - Gario

6. Mind Flip~ - timaeus222

7. Vector Point Engineering Sigma Fortress - Jason Covenant feat. Ghetto Lee Lewis & WillRock

8. Gate's Secret Dream Lab - Usa

ENERGETICS STATISTICS

Overall Selection ~

7 High-Energy

4 Middle-Ground

5 Mellow

Disc 1 ~

3 High-Energy

2 Middle-Ground

3 Mellow

Disc 2 ~

4 High-Energy

2 Middle-Ground

2 Mellow

PRELIMINARY RESULTANT PROPOSED ARTIST LIST

bLiNd?

evktalo

Flexstyle TBD

fxsnowy

Gario

Ghetto Lee Lewis

Jason Covenant

jnWake

Jorito

pu_freak

Sir_NutS

SuperiorX

timaeus222

Tuberz McGee

Usa

WillRock

I'd re-touch Sins of the Syndicate if I were to sub it to something like this, and I'd probably rewrite the string parts to do something of my own, just since I'd have time to do it. If I did that, then bLiNd wouldn't actually be on the album, which would be a shame. 

None of the tracks are actually in a state that I want to submit yet, though, and I do not give permission to include any of my songs as they currently stand.

None of the tracks are actually in a state that I want to submit yet, though, and I do not give permission to include any of my songs as they currently stand.

Ditto to that for my subs as well.  I've re purposed one of my tracks and the other 2 are in no condition to be posted anywhere or included in any compilation.

- 'Electric Moves & Cephalod Grooves' - SuperiorX (check the volume and upper treble EQ of the lead at 0:53 - 1:19 and other spots where it shows up; also, maybe think of an ending, but not crucial)

I actually think my other track is a lot better :razz: but both you guys picked this one, hah. If this thing actually happens (I have my doubts, as I feel like we always propose making a compilation 'best of' album after every compo but they never get off the ground because people have other things to do), then I'd be happy to take a stab at cleaning up whichever track(s) people want to include. Eventually I plan on cleaning up my other track (Release the Kraken), but I just haven't gotten around to it yet, perhaps next month. If I were to clean up 'Electric Moves' then yeah I'd definitely make a proper ending (I hate fade outs; just ran out of time with this one) and do a few other things. Thanks!

I can always edit the post to replace the track with "Release the Kraken". :P

EDIT: OK, I've checked that out again, and I would say:

- Try making the leads have more synergy with the chordal instruments (to me it kinda seems like the lead is just pasted on top of a chord progression that wasn't written for it, such as at 0:46 - 1:02; the piano at 1:02 - 1:16 matches harmonically, for example).

- Could be quieter overall (maybe about 2~4 dB)

- The piano could have more variation in tonal hardness, if possible

But yeah, I think that would be more fun to have on the album! :)

Obviously any best-of album release would require full permission and sign-off from every artist involved.

I highly encourage artists to revisit and revise tracks for an eventual compilation. There is also no rush to get a best-of out, so you can always wait until the tracks are up to your standards to put it on the album.