Liontamer

OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

On the homepage we appear to have some severe issues with IE6 that I'll try and look into, but no promises - upgrade if possible!

Elsewhere, esp. on the detail pages for composers, games, systems, etc., I feel like having the page divided more clearly help identify different types of data, etc.

there's a lot of empty gray area everywhere, here. there's about 4 inches of empty gray between the latest remixes block and the forums and announcements blocks, and another 6 or 7 inches between the roulette and 'previously on OCR' blocks and the bottom of the page.

Firefox 2.0.0.14 @ 1440x900

(yes I cleared my cache)

there's a lot of empty gray area everywhere, here. there's about 4 inches of empty gray between the latest remixes block and the forums and announcements blocks, and another 6 or 7 inches between the roulette and 'previously on OCR' blocks and the bottom of the page.

Firefox 2.0.0.14 @ 1440x900

(yes I cleared my cache)

do you have adblock enabled

do you have adblock enabled

This is the case with most people having the empty space problem I'm guessing. Those 4 inches are normally occupied by a vertical ad.

This is the case with most people having the empty space problem I'm guessing. Those 4 inches are normally occupied by a vertical ad.

Yeah my adblock is up too. Though enabling ads for OCR won't make more inclined to click them if that's what djp is thinking of. ;)

The grey borders on the front page are a good idea, but they are a bit too dark to fit wit the rest of the page imo. The white areas aren't even on the bottom of the darker grey box, either. Making them even on the right side would help.

The grey borders on the front page are a good idea, but they are a bit too dark to fit wit the rest of the page imo. The white areas aren't even on the bottom of the darker grey box, either. Making them even on the right side would help.

I've gone ahead and done this, although in my opinion the uneven floating had substantial benefit for users at 1600x1200 and above. Ultimately, there's far more of you at 1024x768 and 1280x1024, so perhaps the visual "evenness" in this instance is more important.

I'll continue to make tweaks, but the dark grey employed matches the grey in the site header, and in my opinion the contrast really helps visually separate different types of information on a page.

As for those complaining about grey space because they're using adblock... I'm never going to design for adblock users. Also, even if you don't click them and never will, simply viewing them helps out statistically. Furthermore, I've already promised never to re-enable pop-ups, and am working towards getting more relevant ads on the site and getting rid of the ringtone crap. I'd really prefer you disable adblock when browsing the site; it helps me, it helps OCR, and it prevents confusion when you're not seeing what most everyone else is and you then complain about grayspace that I'm not seeing (yes, there's legit grayspace elsewhere, but in this instance it seems like the adblock was the primary culprit).

On a sidenote: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.ocremix.org&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Looking better now. I don't have an adblocker, but I was having some issues with IE displaying the front page properly earlier this morning: certain links like Announcements would be covered by gray areas, but upon mouseover, the links would appear. Seems to be fixed now, though.

I've gone ahead and done this, although in my opinion the uneven floating had substantial benefit for users at 1600x1200 and above. Ultimately, there's far more of you at 1024x768 and 1280x1024, so perhaps the visual "evenness" in this instance is more important.

Nooo they be stealin' mah vertical space! :[

I talked to richter about this and he suggested enabling the uneven floating only if the user's screen size is detected to be higher 1600x1200 or higher. Seems slightly ghetto, but sounds like it would work.

Grats! I didn't know it didn't validate before.

Now you just gotta work on your CSS. ;)

Also, even if you don't click them and never will, simply viewing them helps out statistically.

I think what happens is that AdBlock Plus loads the ads, but doesn't display them. This effectively allows the ad to report that it was seen even though it technically wasn't.

This is one of the only sites on the internet that uses /forums instead of /forum and it's confusing to some people. I know I was confused for a while. I wouldn't ask you to do anything that was more than a five-minute job, and a redirect page is just a couple lines of code, right?

This is one of the only sites on the internet that uses /forums instead of /forum and it's confusing to some people. I know I was confused for a while. I wouldn't ask you to do anything that was more than a five-minute job, and a redirect page is just a couple lines of code, right?

Why would that even be an issue? Are you actually typing ocremix.org/forum into the addressbar? Why not just come to the site and click a link? :roll:

During my first days here, I was typing ocremix.org/forum in the address bar. It's a lot easier to type 6 or 7 extra characters than to go the community drop-down menu THEN wait for it to drop THEN going to the forums subsection THEN waiting for everything to open up THEN click index(all).