Liontamer

OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

Most of the albums aren't numbered properly (url-wise); for example, Relics of the Chozo is 3 while Voices of the Lifestream is 1. Only Kong in Concert, Thieves of Fate, and Delta-Q-Delta are correct (2, 10, and 11).

I think that's just the ID the database uses to reference them and not the order they were released. So if for some reason an album was entered into the database before an album that actually gets released first, we wouldn't have to change album IDs and the catalog number would have the correct release order. The ID is meant to be transparent to the user, is my guess.

Not really the biggest issue in the world, but I was looking around for Mario's Tropical Paradise and initially couldn't find it because, even though the filename and the tags say it's under Super Mario Bros., the site has cataloged it under Super Mario RPG. It isn't a completely erroneous listing; the song does have music from SMRPG. However, the page for it has at the top Super Mario Bros. and has the picture for SMB as well (plus the tags, as I mentioned), not SMRPG. So either the tags are wrong or the database has put it in the wrong place.

Not really the biggest issue in the world, but I was looking around for Mario's Tropical Paradise and initially couldn't find it because, even though the filename and the tags say it's under Super Mario Bros., the site has cataloged it under Super Mario RPG. It isn't a completely erroneous listing; the song does have music from SMRPG. However, the page for it has at the top Super Mario Bros. and has the picture for SMB as well (plus the tags, as I mentioned), not SMRPG. So either the tags are wrong or the database has put it in the wrong place.

It's listed in whatever games it has source tunes from, so it's listed in both games. At the top of the RPG page:

Note: This list includes ReMixes assigned to a different primary game which also arrange music from this game.
I think that's just the ID the database uses to reference them and not the order they were released. So if for some reason an album was entered into the database before an album that actually gets released first, we wouldn't have to change album IDs and the catalog number would have the correct release order. The ID is meant to be transparent to the user, is my guess.

Yeah, the ID #s have nothing to do with the order of release, which I also thought was counterintuitive, but whatchagonnado.

It seems that there are two catagories of questions that have been coming up. Could there be a separate thread devoted to database questions versus design questions?

It seems that there are two catagories of questions that have been coming up. Could there be a separate thread devoted to database questions versus design questions?

Since Dave's been talking about a separate "issues" forum I think it's best to wait and see how this will be laid out. Good idea otherwise since they're so different.

So I was browsing through the recent Remix additions, and a good bunch of them don't have songs attributed to them, though they are based off of a specific song. I don't know if this was accidental just didn't add that info, or if the OST database needs updating, but it helps me to know what's from where.

If its just not having some of the OSTs labeled, I'd be more than happy to help out with that and contribute tracklists and whatnot.

I have a question. Why do we still not have a button that appears on/with your posts when you plug in your website into your profile? I know you folks are busy, but doesn't it seem kind of odd that after over two years, you can put your website URL in, yet there's nothing that allows people to visit it when you post? A button next to "Quote" and "Edit" might not work, but what about something along the top with your AIM, Yahoo! and whatnot icons?

Pretty please?

Blasted timezones, I can't even talk to my fellow staffers..

Anyway, source tracks in some remixes (I noticed it in my own Legend of Arcana remix) is missing. This was quite a while ago. Just a miss or something else? ;*

Well, unless not having the little house logo along with the yahoo, msn and aim ones was intentional, or vB, for whatever absurd reason, doesn't allow for this kind of feature, I'd say this is just another example of how this site would be better off with a secondary sub-webmaster who could help DJP with doing mundane website/forum related tasks. Like this.

Blasted timezones, I can't even talk to my fellow staffers..

Anyway, source tracks in some remixes (I noticed it in my own Legend of Arcana remix) is missing. This was quite a while ago. Just a miss or something else? ;*

I haven't been seeing them on any mixes recently, it might be worth looking into.

Shaddap already about it. :tomatoface:

u smell! Nice work adding the sources though, saw it :)

In other, related, news: when a soundtrack is composed by a bunch of composers but they did different songs, should the source be assigned to the composer who did the track or everyone featured on the album?

At the moment, for example, my shadow hearts mix has the track assigned to the whole bunch of composers while it was only Yoshitaka Hirota who did the track(s).

Also regarding that, I had two sources on that one. Add "Death is the Great Leveller"

Now, proceed to hating me ;*

In other, related, news: when a soundtrack is composed by a bunch of composers but they did different songs, should the source be assigned to the composer who did the track or everyone featured on the album?

At the moment, for example, my shadow hearts mix has the track assigned to the whole bunch of composers while it was only Yoshitaka Hirota who did the track(s).

This is also true for Duke Nukem 3D. There were two composers and they each did about half of the music for the game. I don't know if the site software has support for that kind of data though.

Props on the new sub-forum! :D

I didn't see it, and there's been no news about it either, but yeah, it's there and it seems to work. I have nothing further right now though. A lot of the issues mentioned here haven't been fixed yet though, and DJP probably would be better informed about them if they were mentioned again in that sub-forum. I'm sure it'll fill up with new stuff eventually though.

I was looking for Uboichi's "Duet of the Keyblade Masters" but couldn't find it because apparently Kingdom Hearts II doesn't show up under 'K'.

Edit: Neither does Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

Fixed: the list filters by games with remix count of > 0. This count wasn't being updated. Shouldn't happen again, good catch.

u smell! Nice work adding the sources though, saw it :)

Also regarding that, I had two sources on that one. Add "Death is the Great Leveller"

Now, proceed to hating me ;*

Talk to Larry on the source add.

Regarding song-specific composer credits, it'd be a huge amount of work for relatively small payoff. We associate composers with games, which is enough work... all other associations can be inferred by associating mixes w/ games, songs w/ games, albums w/ games, etc. If we changed that we'd be creating a buttload of additional data entry, which I want to avoid.

I have a question. Why do we still not have a button that appears on/with your posts when you plug in your website into your profile? I know you folks are busy, but doesn't it seem kind of odd that after over two years, you can put your website URL in, yet there's nothing that allows people to visit it when you post? A button next to "Quote" and "Edit" might not work, but what about something along the top with your AIM, Yahoo! and whatnot icons?

Pretty please?

It makes sense to me on the surface. I guess the only reason vB devs may have avoided it is that it's a free-form link, which people might tend to populate with links to spam, malware, etc.... the Yahoo, last.fm, etc. icons are locked down to those specific URLs, so they're pretty safe.

Now, granted, you can click on the URL from the user's profile field, which means the risk is still there, but it's multiplied when it's on every single post.

I dunno, I definitely see the value, I'm just concerned on this specific point...

It makes sense to me on the surface. I guess the only reason vB devs may have avoided it is that it's a free-form link, which people might tend to populate with links to spam, malware, etc.... the Yahoo, last.fm, etc. icons are locked down to those specific URLs, so they're pretty safe.

Now, granted, you can click on the URL from the user's profile field, which means the risk is still there, but it's multiplied when it's on every single post.

I dunno, I definitely see the value, I'm just concerned on this specific point...

Is there anyway to have it verified before the icon appears?