Liontamer

OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

Like the addition of screenshots for remixes (I only saw it when checking a remixer profile but I like it nonetheless). Lovely.

That's new, and based directly on user feedback. Hopefully the bandwidth impact won't be prohibitive. On the main mix list and on search results, instead of putting an ad banner on the far right, I've embedded it into the actual list, so that it only takes up vertical space, not horizontal. This makes a lot of sense to me and makes the lists more usable at 1024x768, imo.

I think I agree w/ Dhsu on column headings and left alignment. I'll look into that.

I can try to match up the colors a bit better, but... I'm really preferring the light text/dark bg for data tables. These guys present a lot of info, and I feel like the contrast with the rest of the site lets me focus on JUST the table...

Some other improvements - enough so that I may do an announcement once I stabilize minor tweaks based on feedback:

• Quick search for games now lets you search for games by composer
  • Quick search for mixes now lets you search for mixes by composer AND ReMixer
  • Both types of quick search now also search against game alias. This field hasn't been fully populated, but would allow for shorthand searches e.g. "ff7"

Pretty much.

Very nice.

I'm not against the light-on-dark concept for tables, but I feel lightening the shade a little and/or changing the hue to match/complement the site header would help.

the banner in the middle of my remixes makes me cry...

otherwise, I like the darker tones. Easier to see the text and whatnot. Nice work.

Darker tones are a bit easier on the eyes, but the contrast between them and the rest of the site is a little too strong. Darkening the whole site is a lot of work, so I suggest not putting white on dark and instead going for something a bit more in tune with the rest. Unless you're gonna change that as well.

I like the changes I've noticed, but I don't browse that often, so I dunno which ones are new.

OK, this looks AWESOME:

GamesList.jpg

My only question is, why do I get the pictures there if, for instance, I search for a remixer and click his name to see his mixes, but when I click a letter at the top of the page to browse the mixes, I still get this?:

BrowseList.jpg

If I actually click the title of a game to view mixes for it, I'll get a screen next to each mix, but no screen for the game title in the lists. In other words, it looks like the screenies are implemented on the remix listing level, but not on the game listing level. It'd be helpful to have them there as well. And pretty.

In other news, while gathering screenies for this post, I found what would seem to be a sort tag problem in the FF7 remixes:

Whoopscopy.jpg

OK I'm done with my image heavy bitching now. Thanks Dave!

I don't see any screenshots... plus, when browsing, the tabs are gone! You used to be able to switch from browsing remixes to remixers to games... and now you can't. And I'm not seeing any screenshots.

EDIT: Oh, it's only when looking at a specific remixer. I hope this feature will be extended to cover everything, and that whatever complaints I have about the new... uh, design, is the result of the design not being finished yet. That is, the tabs, the colors, the pictures only showing when browsing a certain remixer... Feels like it's been a long time since you were able to browse games with their screenshots next to their names, like it was when I first came here in 2002. Those were the days.

That Raptor/FF7 song association is legit; check the writeup for the mix.

ReMixes DO have screenshots, games do not... this is logistical, based on a desire for game listings to be lighter, take up less vertical space, etc. - that won't change, as it allows for much more extensibility.

The alpha listings haven't showed mixes in a long time, just games, so they too won't have screens. Instead of tabs for mixers and composers, those are now displayed right on the same alpha page, to the right.

Things ARE in flux at the moment, as I make some tweaks, but the decision to have lightweight (i.e. no screenshots or icons) listings for games won't change.

Well, the writeup mentioned absolutely nothing about FF7, but it was a source in the judge's decision, and listening to the mix, I can kinda hear it. Enough to let you off the hook anyways. You're a lucky man tonight David Lloyd. A very lucky man.

Anyhow, I understand how it's more extensible to leave the screenies off the game listings. I just loves mah screenies, I've been here so long I can see a screen pop up on the front page and I know what the game is before reading the title. Granted that's probably because most of the screens ARE the title.

hey everything looks great djp.

just wanted to note that when your searching in the remix section for remixer's by daws and instruments that the ocr headphones icons to indicate ocr remixer needs some contrast with the dark grey.

That Raptor/FF7 song association is legit; check the writeup for the mix.

ReMixes DO have screenshots, games do not... this is logistical, based on a desire for game listings to be lighter, take up less vertical space, etc. - that won't change, as it allows for much more extensibility.

The alpha listings haven't showed mixes in a long time, just games, so they too won't have screens. Instead of tabs for mixers and composers, those are now displayed right on the same alpha page, to the right.

Things ARE in flux at the moment, as I make some tweaks, but the decision to have lightweight (i.e. no screenshots or icons) listings for games won't change.

Ok. The K page looks pretty funny now as there are lots more composers than there are games though.

I thought everyone disliked them. I know I do, and I said so before, too.

But you are not alone

For I am here with you

Though we're far apart

You're always in my heart

But you are not alone

I thought everyone disliked them. I know I do, and I said so before, too.

Everyone? Maybe four people or so... I'm reluctant to call that everyone. Dhsu thinks the colors could be fixed and it could work, and I agree that they don't match up 100% with the header, for instance, so I think I'll take a stab at fixing them, then maybe run a poll to see who prefers what after they're fixed.

Well, "everyone" was an exaggeration, but, yeah, the colors don't fit, and if changed for something brighter it would probably look ok.

Well, "everyone" was an exaggeration, but, yeah, the colors don't fit, and if changed for something brighter it would probably look ok.

It's generally not a good idea to exaggerate in a feedback thread. :roll:

Right you are. Then again I wasn't saying that everyone actually did dislike them, only that I thought everyone did, and that was only a slight exaggeration, because I thought the vast majority actually did. And that belief was based on the few posts I'd read on the matter, which nearly all contained complaints about the color choices. I was merely misinformed, or ignorant, if you prefer. And I still am - I don't know how many people have approved of the new colors. Not everyone knows about this thread, either.

I just noticed I couldn't find the one Solar Jetman remix when browsing on S (the game isn't in the list). Searching for it in the sidebar gets if for you though.

Anyway, I get the feeling there should be someone here that knows the VB forum inside and out who be able to take care of things like creating a new subforum for this type of threads and managing the forum software. The smileys sidebar is still a complete mess and it's only because no one with the knowledge/access required has the time to fix it. DJP is obviously a very busy man and there should be someone he could entrust with this type of thing so he doesn't have to do everything himself, just like he trusts the judges panel with deciding which mixes should be on the site and not (a pretty big responsibility). I understand if he doesn't want someone to mess up the site or its code so he doesn't know how his own website works anymore, but I don't think that would be necessary. I think this site needs a forum software-Larry, just like it has an avatar-Larry and a judge-Larry (and whatever else Larry does).

It appears that the Sonic & Knuckles 'Lava Reef Zone (Las Trompetas Maravillosas Mix)' is categorized under Sonic 3D Blast, as a remix of Rusty Ruin Zone. There's a pretty little Sonic and Knuckles gif on the page, but it doesn't appear when I do a search for Lava Reef remixes.

I just noticed I couldn't find the one Solar Jetman remix when browsing on S (the game isn't in the list). Searching for it in the sidebar gets if for you though.

Anyway, I get the feeling there should be someone here that knows the VB forum inside and out who be able to take care of things like creating a new subforum for this type of threads and managing the forum software. The smileys sidebar is still a complete mess and it's only because no one with the knowledge/access required has the time to fix it. DJP is obviously a very busy man and there should be someone he could entrust with this type of thing so he doesn't have to do everything himself, just like he trusts the judges panel with deciding which mixes should be on the site and not (a pretty big responsibility). I understand if he doesn't want someone to mess up the site or its code so he doesn't know how his own website works anymore, but I don't think that would be necessary. I think this site needs a forum software-Larry, just like it has an avatar-Larry and a judge-Larry (and whatever else Larry does).

Re: Solar Jetman, yeah, that's a strange issue, but I wasn't seeing it listed on the alpha page either.

Not sure what's wrong with the "smileys sidebar". Do you mean the "More" pop-up box that shows all of the available smilies when you make a post? If so, yeah, the header with the dropdowns needs to be taken out.

It appears that the Sonic & Knuckles 'Lava Reef Zone (Las Trompetas Maravillosas Mix)' is categorized under Sonic 3D Blast, as a remix of Rusty Ruin Zone. There's a pretty little Sonic and Knuckles gif on the page, but it doesn't appear when I do a search for Lava Reef remixes.

Good catch, and an easy fix!

Not sure what's wrong with the "smileys sidebar". Do you mean the "More" pop-up box that shows all of the available smilies when you make a post? If so, yeah, the header with the dropdowns needs to be taken out.

No, not the pop-up box, the little table to the right of where you write your post, at the bottom of which you find the link to the more pop-up box. This frame has room for 3x7 smileys, but the bottom right one is empty, the :razz: smiley appears twice, the 8O one three times and several useful ones aren't there. By cleaning this table up you'd have room for another 4 smileys from the "more" pop-up box, such as banghead, lol and wink, not to mention eyeroll!

Also this forum has fairly few smileys. Unless this is completely intentional, maybe there could be a thread similar to the avatar one where people can post new ones to be added at your discretion? I could use something like these mad0218.gifduh.gif a lot...

No, not the pop-up box, the little table to the right of where you write your post, at the bottom of which you find the link to the more pop-up box. This frame has room for 3x7 smileys, but the bottom right one is empty, the :razz: smiley appears twice, the 8O one three times and several useful ones aren't there. By cleaning this table up you'd have room for another 4 smileys from the "more" pop-up box, such as banghead, lol and wink, not to mention eyeroll!

Also this forum has fairly few smileys. Unless this is completely intentional, maybe there could be a thread similar to the avatar one where people can post new ones to be added at your discretion? I could use something like these mad0218.gifduh.gif a lot...

God, no, please. The less smileys, the better.

The more smileys you add, the more people use them instead of actually writing something, and before you know it, this forum'll look like an anime forum for 12 year olds where smileys make up 50% of each post.