• NHL 2K7

• RIDGE RACER 7

• Sonic the Hedgehog

• Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07

• Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas

• Tony Hawk’s Project 8

• Untold Legends Dark Kingdom

Source : http://www.destructoid.com/the-official-ps3-launch-game-lineup

The list keeps growing, but I'm excited for for most of the non-sports games. :)

Now, we see Sony doing the exact same thing, but somehow they manage to do even worse. The high price, the completely batshit insane things their people are saying, their E3 presentation... I can't understand how Sony can not realise what's going to happen.

Honestly I don't see what the big deal is, other than the price. And I would definitely not be surprised to see price cuts in the States similar to the ones in Japan. Other than the cost, does you're average consumer watch live E3 coverage, or even know what the hell E3 is in the first place? Do the read gaming blogs and keep track of every thing that comes out of some Sony exec's mouth? Do they care? The only people who are concerned about this kind of thing are hardcore gamers, and those kind of people are either so anti-Sony that they'd refuse to buy it simply out of spite or so into games that dropping $500 or so on a launch console isn't going to crush them too badly.

What, exactly, has ACTUALLY been bad about the PS3 so far aside from the assumption of a high retail price?

how about the amout of units avaibale? buts that all i can think of that the common consumer would notice.

The only people who are concerned about this kind of thing are hardcore gamers, and those kind of people are either so anti-Sony that they'd refuse to buy it simply out of spite or so into games that dropping $500 or so on a launch console isn't going to crush them too badly.

I love that dichotomy right there.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer. I pay attention to games, talk about them all the damn time, am working on one, etc etc. But I'm not dropping $500 on a system because I can't, because I think I can get more enjoyable games for a cheaper price, and because I don't have unlimited time to play all good games made(unfortunately). I guess that makes me anti-Sony.

Except, wait. I own a PS2, and besides the games I already own I am looking out for other PS2(and PS1) exclusives that I haven't had the pleasure of playing yet. How dare I!

Fuck, guys, I just spent ten minutes writting out counter-points to Evilhead's post, but then you went and made them for me, but shorter and more concise.

Basicly, I think that the demographic that the PS3 is aimed for is compsed of both the "casual" and "hardcore" groups. Such a group would be in age from early teens to mid-twenties. Considering that that age group also happens to be highly reliant upon the internet for commuication, entertainment and news, it's a fair guess that they would read sites that covered video games, and that they would find out about things like E3. Yes, I would say that the very group Sony is aiming for is the ver group that would hear the most about the PS3, good and bad.

Interestingly enough, the same group is usually in school, or has a low-paying job, so dropping $500US on anything that isn't rent or an emergency isn't easily done. Hardcore or not, $500 is still $500.

Mind you, I have a hard time believing in "hardcore gamers". What exactly makes one "hardcore" or casual? Hours played? Games played? Systems owned? Personally, I call bullshit on the whole concept of the hardcore gamer. Sounds like something a marketing team came up with as part of a press-kit.

Mind you, I have a hard time believing in "hardcore gamers". What exactly makes one "hardcore" or casual? Hours played? Games played? Systems owned? Personally, I call bullshit on the whole concept of the hardcore gamer. Sounds like something a marketing team came up with as part of a press-kit.

You are correct, sir!

Mostly, I just use the term to distinguish "people who care about video games and think they are serious business" from "people who don't care and/or think they are for childrens." But the hardcore/casual dichotomy is grossly oversimplified, to say the least.

Well, when I say "hardcore gamer" what I really mean is "avid gamer". Someone who buys more than one system per generation and spends a significant amount of time and money on games. Also someone who buys older games and systems. A casual gamer is somone who owns maybe one or two game systems total, tends to rent games rather than buying them, and can at times go for a week or two without playing at all.

And I think it's quite an assumption that most people who use the internet and have a game system at their house pour over video game news sites. Hell, I consider myself a fairly hardcore gamer and I rarely read gaming news beyond what is posted here or new release annoucements. If you walked up to some young person on the street and asked them what they think about all the statements Sony has been making lately, I'm betting you'll be getting a big 'huh?' from most people.

Yes, price is definitely a factor, and if they don't release the PS3 for under the suspected price (which happened for the PSP), they might lose some of their market to Nintendo or Microsoft initally, but I don't the PS3 flopping by a long shot. It's just got too much support. People often site the 3D0, NeoGeo, CDi, or other expensive consoles that didn't do well. But each of those systems had very limited software support. The NeoGeo has a fantasic library, but unless you were a hardcore 2D fighter fan and were willing to drop $300 a game and $800 for the system it was not for you. The 3D0 and some other systems like the Jaguar, CDi, etc, failed because of miserable software. If the 3D0 had tons of great games for it, would it still have failed simply because it was expensive? I don't think so. The iPod for instance, is overpriced, like all Apple products. But consumers will desire the coolest, most advanced, most hip technology out there and will be willing to pay for it. Nintendo is doing well for copying Apple's designs and packaging though.

I would say that it is more horribly undefined than grossly oversimplified. Every example is subjective at best.

As demonstrated by the difference between Evilhead's definition and mine.

The PS3 does have a lot of support from both developers and consumers, and people will buy it. But I'M still miffed at how they are acting towards people like me. That's all.

And one another note, one could argue that the real reason Nintendo lost so much steam is that they were pissing off their developers, and as soon as another viable option showed up a lot of the good ones(see: Square) jumped ship. So it isn't that great of an analogy.

Yes, price is definitely a factor, and if they don't release the PS3 for under the suspected price (which happened for the PSP), they might lose some of their market to Nintendo or Microsoft initally, but I don't the PS3 flopping by a long shot. It's just got too much support. People often site the 3D0, NeoGeo, CDi, or other expensive consoles that didn't do well. But each of those systems had very limited software support.

Yeah. I think Sony's heavy mainstream game support and even the occasional stuff for the hardcore types pretty much secure the demographic.

And with some people, I wonder if price is even an issue. I keep seeing people who snatch up 360s either by working for it or by being spoiled by their families/parents.

I even see kids strutting $300+ iPods around and to put it in perspective, a PS3 is the equivalent of two newest-type iPods.

I think people will give themselves all sorts of excuses and reasont to get a PS3 once the games start coming out. Even if they are garishly expensive to me personally, I can totally see people buying it regardless. Kinda, sorta like how people can even be urged into buying old games with newer consoles nowadays.

Predictions regarding a console war are like prediction in hockey: so-called 'experts' always compare numbers and predict which team will win based on player skill, their experience with their team, their experience in playoffs, their supposedly quantitative determination and so forth. And in the end, it INVARIABLY goes against predictions.

So here are MY (wrong) predictions.

Wii will be cool for like two weeks, a month maybe, but then players will get tiret of this new gimmick. Osu Tatakae Ouendan ! wall a cool game because it was on a portable console and you can play at school and while taking a shit, but wouldn't do nearly as well on a home console. So I don't really care about the "revolution" that's coming.

X360 will suffer from lack of Japanese support. Sports game from EA are still cool though, and will probably sell like hot cakes in the States. Let's see if they can pierce the Japanese market. Microsfot has a huge advantage over the other two in NA because programming for Xenon is slightly different than programming with PS3 or Wii, so developes might feel more driven towards Xenon to maximize development time on creativity, playability and level design instead of technicalities.

PS3 will offer more eye candy at launch it is actually a blu-ray player but will be moe expensive for those who are short on money. i STILL don't think 650$ is expensive for a Blu-ray player/gaming console. It has been gven bad press and their PR people are very bad, so that might a bit hard in the end. Still, they will set a lot of consoles because they will support Madden NFL, Pokemon Blue-grey-red-kaleidoscope colored and Final Fantasy.

In a perfect world, there would be a console suited to the needs of every particular customer, and I think we're going there. It doesn't so much a competition between which console will be the more fun to play to me, it sounds more like which console will attract what kind of people.

My predictions:

X360 will remain stable, maybe acquire a bigger part of the Japanese market since Ubisoft is relasing and x350 only naruto game.

Everybody will buy a Wii, and it'll be real cool for like 2-3 weesk, but after that people will be missing the regular controller. The main problem for the Wii is that, whereas games for PS2 were portable to Wii because they had similar power, game for PS3 or X360 will have to be adapted for quite a longer time to be compatible with the lower-powered Wii.

PS3 will sell well at first, since they have so much corporate support, and I don't see them die anytime soon. People haven't seen its online service yet so that could be a MAJOR drawback, but I think they can adapt.

I don't think the Wii will be only popular for a few weeks since all the big name titles will come out sometime in 2007.

But after that, I don't know. Certainly, Nintendo will break profit, but that usually doesn't mean anything towards gamers and the games themselves.

There was a lot of positive hype for the Gamecube early on then sorta fizzled away. I think something similar could happen if Nintendo dawdles with their major titles after the huge SSBB game comes out. Then they might have maybe one or two major Zelda sequels to get gamers interested. But that's not going to keep them stuck to the console forever.

But after that, I don't know. Certainly, Nintendo will break profit, but that usually doesn't mean anything towards gamers and the games themselves.

Well except for hardware prepherials and lately the games too. Take for example the 360. Certainly the massive losses on the hardware are made up by $40 memory cards, $50 wireless controllers, $60 games, and $100 wireless console hardware.

There was a lot of positive hype for the Gamecube early on then sorta fizzled away. I think something similar could happen if Nintendo dawdles with their major titles after the huge SSBB game comes out. Then they might have maybe one or two major Zelda sequels to get gamers interested. But that's not going to keep them stuck to the console forever.

Always possible. Game droughts are terrible things.

And one another note, one could argue that the real reason Nintendo lost so much steam is that they were pissing off their developers, and as soon as another viable option showed up a lot of the good ones(see: Square) jumped ship. So it isn't that great of an analogy.

Conceptually, that's where I think Sony's going. Everyone will buy a PS3 just like everyone bought a Nintendo 64. Whether the given console holds up will rely on consistent quality software.

Conceptually, that's where I think Sony's going. Everyone will buy a PS3 just like everyone bought a Nintendo 64. Whether the given console holds up will rely on consistent quality software.

I was under the impression that Sony was playing nice with their third party developers.

]

I even see kids strutting $300+ iPods around and to put it in perspective, a PS3 is the equivalent of two newest-type iPods.

Kinda, sorta like how people can even be urged into buying old games with newer consoles nowadays.

First off Ipods are way to expensive.

and as far as the virtual consle, old games are still new to those who havent played them. I missed out on chrono cross, so I plan on getting it, but I dont think most people will buy every game that they loved... well... then again..... who knows.

I heard that Blu-Ray discs are a lot more fragile than regular DVD/CDs. What I mean is, if the Blu-Ray disc is scratched, then it will suffer more than a regular DVD/CD.

Confirm/Deny?

Don't worry. Billy Mays will have a fix for that two weeks after the release of the PS3. Here's how to order!!!

Everybody will buy a Wii, and it'll be real cool for like 2-3 weesk, but after that people will be missing the regular controller. The main problem for the Wii is that, whereas games for PS2 were portable to Wii because they had similar power, game for PS3 or X360 will have to be adapted for quite a longer time to be compatible with the lower-powered Wii.

Wow, I didn't think of how the power difference would delay or even prohibit the Wii from getting ports or being a part of cross-platform games. Then again, I haven't bought any GC games that were available for PS2.

I'm concerned enough about whether the Wii's going to have enough original games to justify a purchase. I got a GC for $100 because it came with both Zelda's for N64 - it was worth it just because it saved me from buying the old system and those 2 games. Looking at what GC cames I've played though...it'd be really tough to justify spending much more for the console (or getting it without 2 sweet games that I hadn't played). I expect to play:

Super Smash Bros.: Brawl

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Dragon Quest Swords

Fire Emblem

Resident Evil

But how much are they going to have to offer beyond those? I'm not seeing that may must-play PS3 games, but there seem to be a lot more PS3 games on the way that may turn out to be worth playing. Being able to download old NES games was exciting, but I realized I still have those sitting in my closet and never play them. So...that wiimote better be damn cool.

Again, I really wonder if the shortage of PS3s is deliberate. It was for the PSP, the very first PSX and PS2. They always were way short of the demand and it created a frenzy of buyers for years to come.

I think it's pretty obvious the 360 had the same gameplan as well. Besides simply releasing the thing for one full years before everyone and establishing a huge library.

It was a different game.

The PS2 faced a dying dreamcast and... well... nothing for about 18 months. The PSX was a whole new system, shortages are expected, same thing happens with every first entry in the console business. Or in any business, you can never guess popularity accuratly.

This time, the shortage is a lot less positive. It means that any parent unable to buy the PS3 for christmas will settle on a 360. It means that 3rd parties will be annoyed that it reduces their potencial market by that much.

And it may as well strike a killing blow to blue-ray technology. By now we should be showered in blue ray ads, and the PS3 should come as the first cheap blue ray player. Instead, HD seems to be a lot further ahead.

It's Betamax all over again.

Again, I really wonder if the shortage of PS3s is deliberate. It was for the PSP, the very first PSX and PS2. They always were way short of the demand and it created a frenzy of buyers for years to come.

I think it's pretty obvious the 360 had the same gameplan as well. Besides simply releasing the thing for one full years before everyone and establishing a huge library.

The PSP launch has "created a frenzy of buyers"?

Anyway...I don't see (if this is indeed intentional) how Sony can benefit at all. Aside from some exclusives (and I do mean some since a lot of series are multiplatform now), the 360 and PS3 are basically clones of each other.

To launch a year late with only 500,000 units, especially when you're relying on the system to push your own DVD format, would be very stupid if it was on purpose.

Yeah, the PSP didn't exactly have a buying frenzy afterwards. Just like a steady stream of buyers more than anything. Even if it was far, far behind the DS.

Another thing with the PS3 gaining any sort of momentum behind its shortage, it needs to have the big games come out by 2007, or it'll be one full year before they get enough customers intersted. But by then, Halo 3 and SSBB would be out..