Pipez

Detective Pikachu: The Movie?

8 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2018 at 5:40 PM, Admiral_C said:

Way more legit than I anticipated.

This is pretty much my thoughts exactly. I wasn't sure what to expect, but this is definitely better than whatever I was thinking it might be.

Potentially unpopular opinion.

I find it... cringey.

It doesn't look that good, and I don't think Ryan Renolds is the right actor.

I'm also not entirely happy with the super-gritty dirty city thing. That's not what pokemon is about. The games, even the spin-offs, and the various other media (cartoon, manga, etc) are all about how living with pokemon makes the world more nature-friendly. Even Unova, which is based upon New York City, isn't dirty and grimey. It's clean. Hell, even the desert area north of Castelia City, which is literally just Manhatten, is spotless. But the city needs to be gloomy and dirty for... what, realism? About pokemon?

Also, pokemon are inherently good natured, with the bad ones only being so because of their trainers. So seeing a Mr. Mime telling them to shove it doesn't really fit. Yeah, it's kind of funny, but it doesn't work for me. It comes off as something written by a committee, not a writer.

I'm sure everyone else in the world will love it, and it will do really well in ticket sales, but I'm not going to see it. It feels like a checklist of everything the shitty fan movies did, but with more money behind it.

10 hours ago, The Damned said:

Potentially unpopular opinion.

I find it... cringey.

It doesn't look that good, and I don't think Ryan Renolds is the right actor.

I'm also not entirely happy with the super-gritty dirty city thing. That's not what pokemon is about. The games, even the spin-offs, and the various other media (cartoon, manga, etc) are all about how living with pokemon makes the world more nature-friendly. Even Unova, which is based upon New York City, isn't dirty and grimey. It's clean. Hell, even the desert area north of Castelia City, which is literally just Manhatten, is spotless. But the city needs to be gloomy and dirty for... what, realism? About pokemon?

Also, pokemon are inherently good natured, with the bad ones only being so because of their trainers. So seeing a Mr. Mime telling them to shove it doesn't really fit. Yeah, it's kind of funny, but it doesn't work for me. It comes off as something written by a committee, not a writer.

I'm sure everyone else in the world will love it, and it will do really well in ticket sales, but I'm not going to see it. It feels like a checklist of everything the shitty fan movies did, but with more money behind it.

I think some of it will make more sense in the actual context of the movie.