Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Just make sure to stockpile a bunch of cash for the Nintendo World store, they have a lot of hard to find Wii accessories if what Atma has said is right. Now the only question left to solve is whether you want it on the 27th or the 28th...?

Just to clear that up, I stopped in there today. They were completely out of wiimotes/nunchucks (I'd think they will be restocked with plenty by the 28th) but there were 3 full huge shelves of classic controllers.

Also, again:
Question about component cables..

Is there really a difference in brand? I was going to wait to get the Psyclone brand at work($59.99, but I can get for $21), but it seems like we never have any in transit.

I'm thinking about just ordering ones from Nintendo.

Component cables are component cables. You're basically paying for names at this point. Any differences between the Nintendo ones and third-party ones are going to be too small to notice.

Okay, turns out you can make the world vanish in the Forecast Channel:

Go to Forecast Channel, select the Globe, press the Home button, select the Operations Guide, wait for it to be displayed, and hit Home again.

It will appear again after a brief moment, but it's weird to see.

so it doesn't seem like there are any other games coming out ever

seriously

Wario Ware is out next month. That is awesome for some fun, but I agree, kinda dry but the first quarter of video games always suck, other than when RE4 came out.

Still, I think those rumors are for Europe and I hope to see Metroid Prime 3 in 4 months.

seriously

Wario Ware is out next month. That is awesome for some fun, but I agree, kinda dry but the first quarter of video games always suck, other than when RE4 came out.

Still, I think those rumors are for Europe and I hope to see Metroid Prime 3 in 4 months.

We get Wii Play too soon, which is a bargain!

Blah on my temperamental wireless router. For some reason I periodically lose a connection. I lost a connection while updating my Wii and its stuck at the update screen even though I got my router kicked back into place. I don't wanna hurt anything by turning the Wii off =|.
I had that same problem for awhile, what worked me was changing the wireless channel. depends what kind of router you have, but i've got a linksys. Just go into your configuration, type that IP number into your webbrowser.. think the linksys one is 192.168.1.1 then go to wireless chanels or something like that, and i think theres 8 to select from but i forget which mine is on, but it works now.

seriously

We get Wii Play too soon, which is a bargain!

Yup, ten dollar games are always worth it!

Well, as usual, Nintendo's stuff can take a beating.

I was playing Smash Bros., and the dog has the obsession of looking out every window constantly in the house. She walked by, hit the cord and make the Wii fall over off of my TV stand. The game didn't freeze or anything, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I was playing Smash Bros., and the dog has the obsession of looking out every window constantly in the house. She walked by, hit the cord and make the Wii fall over off of my TV stand. The game didn't freeze or anything, and there's nothing wrong with it.

So then you punched the dog in the head about four times and threw it in a chair... then put her to bed and lied about the dog falling on a barbell?

Yay for ebay?

Boo for eBay.

Actually, I just sold it to Taucer for $260 and I will personally hand it to him at the meetup.

That's awesome (I'm not a big fan of scalping, what with a bunch of friends wanting Wiis and not being able to find them, so I'm glad to hear you aren't scalping it).

Anyway, I kinda echo the sentiment about the lack of games right now. Now that I beat Zelda, I kinda wish for another meaty game experience on the Wii (as much as I like my pick up and play games, I always like to be playing through one or two longer games at the same time). Especially for that reason, I'm hoping for like Super Metroid and some of my other favorites to make it to the VC soon.

On the topic of the VC, I kinda hope they change the layout so they make a channel for your dl'd games as opposed to taking up a channel space for each game. They could order it just as they have it on the shop channel, where you could look at all your games or arrange aphabetically, by original console, or by most-recently acquired. To have the option of also placing as many or as few dl'd games as you want onto the main menu would be nice IMO. I also hope they change it so we can hook up an external harddrive, so we don't have to be limited any longer to 512mb of space (even to be able to dl games to SD card would be helpful, cuz right now using the SD card seems to be limited to holding pictures for the photo channel, MP3s for use with slideshows or playing Excite Truck, and a backup for saves).

You do realize that it will probably have a browser before the end of it's lifetime right? Xbox Live is the only thing that seperates it from a PC, but is Xbox Live worth giving up a mouse and keyboard for?

Even then, the feature are built around what is essentially a gaming console when it's all said and done. Could be said the same with the PS3 and the Wii if they build the online features just right. And this is detrimental to the systems, how? Because when it's all said and done, it's still way cheaper than the typical PC/Laptop, etcetera with equivalent features. Simply put, you get what you pay for. A PC isn't a home console and a home console isn't a PC. Yes, they both seems to be merging in terms of features, but a gaming console was a computer even in the Atari days. It's simply getting more powerful and the multimedia functionality is becoming more important. Including all the social networking that is prevalent and apparently Xbox Live is picking up on that. Sony and Nintendo probably looking at that template and following up as well. Surely a lot of that can be influenced by the PC, but I don't think their goal is to "become PCs" here. It's to simply branch out the capabilities of their consoles.

Again, you're overestimating the cost of a PC on par with those systems. Will they cost more? Absolutely. Even so, the fact that the PC can do so much more aside from gaming justifies it costing more than a console. Trying to say a console is worth buying because of exclusives is acceptable, but if you're going to try and argue that it's worth it's price at $600, it's just not going to work out in your favor. There is no reason to spend $600 on a system that you can't even play games on while downloading demos.

That line of logic is simply faulty since you say that you're getting "gimped" in systems that do less than a PC? Well, you're paying for something that is mostly a gaming console. Of COURSE it's cheaper. I don't see your case that whether a $500 system is a total ripoff like you're implying.

But you realize, those console graphics get outdated every time a new line of video cards is released too. It's not like they're magically going to stay on par with PC visuals as more powerful CPUs and video cards come. I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of paying so much for a system that I can't upgrade in the future.

I like systems that have a great shelf life and without the constant need for hardware updates that cost in the hundreds if I am to play every new fad of a PC game each time. And I'm tempted to do so all the time. It doesn't even lend itself to some specific generations of PCs either. It's pretty constant with PC gaming. That is why it has gotten the hardcore moniker because it basically is a more hardcore option.

There are very few genres a console controller does better than a mouse/keyboard (fighting games, for example), but for the most part, you absolutely cannot beat a PC when it comes to controls.

You're missing out on the easy to access games such as sports titles that can be perfectly playable or even downright preferable with analog sticks. Or 3rd person action games that doesn't require some pinpoint precision all the time or a hundred keys for input. Or a puzzle game that rarely needs more than a joystick, or a platformer, or a bemani-music/dance games, light action titles, etcetera.

Why would I want to play FPS on 360 when I could have precise aiming? Why would I play an RTS on the PS3 when I could just use a mouse to accurately select and target units? Why would *anyone* play GTA on a console when you have to use that god awful aiming system? Most PC games are so complex and use so many keys that, quite frankly, it would just be impossible to play them using a joypad.

The complexity in itself is a daunting thing in itself as I see it. With most FPS games nowadays on consoles, it's usually the Halo controls, so it's pretty much pick up and play at this point. And you say that it's "inaccurate", but there's plenty of tournament caliber players who can use analog sticks like wizards and they can probably compete on pretty much an even keel as some PC FPS gamer. And I personally never have problems with the accuracy of an analog stick. You say you do, and I think it's just a matter of preference and not some objective fact that whichever is necessarily superior.

And you're absolutely right about the wireless thing, but the fact of the matter is, wireless keyboards and mice *are* available. I rarely play PC games on my monitor anymore, unless it's an FPS because they're just easier to play sitting closer to the screen.

Which reminds me of how silly wireless mouse and keyboards really are. I never understood the reason why they even exist.

So then you punched the dog in the head about four times and threw it in a chair... then put her to bed and lied about the dog falling on a barbell?

You just had to bring that back up, didn't you. It still makes me feel sick on the inside.

Or maybe Nintendo makes us pay for a good product? :roll:

I'm interested and afraid to see how the Wii browser works. After all, internet browsers are the number one most likely way to obtain spyware. It's probably why Xbox Live doesn't have one. Then again, Wii's hardware should be so alien from anything else that there won't be issues for a while.

Nintendo has a Christmas present for Wii owners. Take a peek in the closet if you want, but you'll feel bad.

Possibly a glitch, but right now Super Mario Bros, R-Type, and Toejam&Earl are listed as free VC titles. PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN right right...

mikepiontek.com/journal/uploads/nintendo/mario.gif

mikepiontek.com/journal/uploads/nintendo/r-type.gif

mikepiontek.com/journal/uploads/nintendo/toejam.gif

Nintendo has a Christmas present for Wii owners. Take a peek in the closet if you want, but you'll feel bad.
Possibly a glitch, but right now Super Mario Bros, R-Type, and Toejam&Earl are listed as free VC titles. PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN right right...

mikepiontek.com/journal/uploads/nintendo/mario.gif

mikepiontek.com/journal/uploads/nintendo/r-type.gif

mikepiontek.com/journal/uploads/nintendo/toejam.gif

But don't all VC games say they're free when you look at them through a browser? :?