Nintendo Wii

Smoke

I waited about 45 minutes outside Nintendo World on the 20th with no preorder. They had 2 big piles of Wiis; about 50 - 70 or so in all.

Also, anyone know where I can buy a USB-powered battery charger? One that uses a plug is still fine, but I'd prefer a USB-powered one so that I don't have to deal with outlets when I travel with my family. The hotels we stay in don't have many outlets, and the ones that are within reach are taken up by cell phone chargers, a portable DVD player, and other stuff; it's hard enough to find a spot to charge my DS.

I arrived to the launch event at Universal Citywalk about six hours early, but I only got into a preorder line around 3 hours before I snatched a Wii (including post-midnight waiting).

Damn fine night actually. I have lots of pictures and videos (great material for the photo channel actually). Would anyone like me to put the stuff online? :)

Honestly? That would be an awesome way to play quite a few 360 games. Assuming you could get it to behave properly using the mouselook.

Overall, as a game solution, the 360 beats the PC, hands-down, for a few reasons including the Live system.

Too bad PC games weren't that easy to get up and running, online. A single, big, unified system, where ALL the games use the same methods. Simple, easy to navigate.. unfortunately, the PC sector has been far too much, "We'll do it our way, you do it yours and neither will be better. Unless you're EA, then you just suck balls."

Sorta, kinda, maybe relevant picture about the infinitely superior PC controls:

1166606954520hd7.jpg

Unfortuntaely, 360 games are designed to use a controller. Using a mouse would make them too easy (remember the Resistance guys said the same thing about using a mouse with the game on PS3? that alone should tell you how much better a mouse is over a joystick).

Besides, $80 is a bit steep for hardware that isn't fully supported.

I lost my copy of Wii Play amongst the excitement of throwing the packaging everywhere.

I'm not too pissed though, I have monkeyball, zelda and sports so I'm not missing out on minigames :)

What's the point of a Wii Console Number? What can be done with it?

I lost my copy of Wii Play amongst the excitement of throwing the packaging everywhere.

I'm not too pissed though, I have monkeyball, zelda and sports so I'm not missing out on minigames :)

What's the point of a Wii Console Number? What can be done with it?

right now, Mii exchange and email. more later i suppose.

In the last thread, someone posted links to rechargeable batteries and a USB-powered charger. To my knowledge, the Wii doesn't support USB devices the same way PCs do as of yet, but can USB-powered devices still receive power from the Wii's USB ports? I'll be going through a lot of batteries in the long run if I stick with alkalines, so I'll need rechargeables.

The Wii should still provide power to any USB device that's connected to it, even if it can't use the device itself.

This is true. My cellphone has a MiniUSB port for both synchronizing and charging, and I can charge it with my USB cable on the Wii. I also have a cheapass card reader, and it can be powered by Wii as well(Just not used) Also, a 360 controller hooked up to a Wii will result in the ring flashing, indicating that it gets power as well.

i've took a glimpse at it and played THDJ...it's hard, but cool...then, my brother was playing Wii Sports bowling and that was awesome. But I say, some of the Wii launch games like Red Steel was a piece of shit...but I'm getting that game anyway when I get the Wii. TP is definitely a MUST-HAVE...and many more titles on the wii...though I won't be able to get it now, because I am broke and if i did have the money, i wouldn't be able to get it, because they are all sold out. On the long run, I say Wii will kick ass...and to let you know, if the virtual console feature on there doesn't surprise you, then you suck!!

A friend came over and I was showing him the wii and shit and we were playing different games. So I play Wii Sports, everything fine. I play Wii Play, everything fine, before he came over, my bro was playing Twilight Princess, everything fine. When I put in the TP disk to show him the Zelda glory, it gives me the disk read error screen.

I think "well, alright, I'll just clean it"

I do, try again, nothing.

Again, nothing.

Different disks, including the Melee one, nothing.

After an hour of not reading disks, the sound is suddenly fucked up too. Now every time it plays any sound, from music to sound effects, it spews out static noise. Irritating static noise.

FUCK!

God, why do I have this compelling need to buy stuff at launch? OH! I KNOW! I WAS WAITING FOR ZELDA FOR 300 YEARS!

D:<

Goddammit!

I'm going to Nintendo's distributor here first thing in the morning! I'm getting this Wii replaced, and the data transferred! I'm just kinda sad it won't be the same Wii. We've had good times.

: (

I'm pissed off now!

A friend came over and I was showing him the wii and shit and we were playing different games. So I play Wii Sports, everything fine. I play Wii Play, everything fine, before he came over, my bro was playing Twilight Princess, everything fine. When I put in the TP disk to show him the Zelda glory, it gives me the disk read error screen.

I think "well, alright, I'll just clean it"

I do, try again, nothing.

Again, nothing.

Different disks, including the Melee one, nothing.

After an hour of not reading disks, the sound is suddenly fucked up too. Now every time it plays any sound, from music to sound effects, it spews out static noise. Irritating static noise.

FUCK!

God, why do I have this compelling need to buy stuff at launch? OH! I KNOW! I WAS WAITING FOR ZELDA FOR 300 YEARS!

D:<

Goddammit!

I'm going to Nintendo's distributor here first thing in the morning! I'm getting this Wii replaced, and the data transferred! I'm just kinda sad it won't be the same Wii. We've had good times.

: (

I'm pissed off now!

Same thing happened to me, so I exchanged the Wii and now only Zelda doesn't work at certain points...so I called Nintendo and told me I need to exchange the game!

I'm a big fan of the durability of Nintendo products. I got a snes, N64 and DS at launch and they've all lasted me, but Wii has been letting me down in that regard.