The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

hi all. been an avid gamer for as long as i can remember, starting with super mario world back in the day. also had a passion with computers ever since we got our first modem back in the day. lastly, i had a passion for music my entire life, though i never learned an instrument. well, eventually all 3 passions combined, and i started making music (a little over a year ago i think). when i was starting out and had no idea what i was doing, i figured that the best way to learn was by recreating what already existed and what i knew was good music. so i tried recreating professional songs (mostly trance), and game music. as i grew, instead of 'remaking' the songs, i was 'remixing' them, expanding my skills. now i'm working on original material all the time, but there's nothing like a little remixing to keep things interesting, learn new things, and expand my comfort zone.

Hi all, I'm new here (the community, not the website - been enjoying the arrangements for many years).

I was interested in contributing, but I was looking through the "submission guidelines" and I still couldn't find the answer for this question (maybe I'm just not looking hard enough) -

I was interested in remixing some songs using only the Organya samples from Pixel's Cave Story. Is this okay? I know off the bat it wouldn't be a similar sound to the majority of pieces on OCRemix. They wouldn't be just transcribing a song by ear into organya instruments.

Thanks for your help.

I was interested in remixing some songs using only the Organya samples from Pixel's Cave Story. Is this okay? I know off the bat it wouldn't be a similar sound to the majority of pieces on OCRemix. They wouldn't be just transcribing a song by ear into organya instruments.

Welcome! :D

Overusing common presets, relying heavily on prerecorded loops, or employing nothing but basic tones or "chiptunes" is discouraged

So says the submissions standards, emphasis mine. If you listen to the chippy stuff AeroZ, halc and others do, you should get some idea of what can be done with chip sounds. You'll find that they don't use chippy sounds only, or not in a raw, unprocessed form.

The simple answer is that you won't get a remix on this site with those samples without additional instruments and/or additional processing. Don't let that stop you from making music with them, tho, our remix feedback board is free for any kind of vgm remix, whether intended for OCR or not. :D

Hello, I have enjoyed listening to other people's musical creations for a while now on OC Remix and decided to get in the game. I have remixed one of my favorite video games pieces, but I am looking for place where I could get a few experienced remixer's opinions before I submitted my composition to the site. Where would be the best place to do this, and how would I do it? Thanks for the help.

I have remixed one of my favorite video games pieces, but I am looking for place where I could get a few experienced remixer's opinions before I submitted my composition to the site. Where would be the best place to do this, and how would I do it? Thanks for the help.

Hi and welcome. :D Use our feedback board or talk to ppl on #ocrwip. Other than that, see if you find any friendly ppl with time and good ears, PM or IM them about your track.

Thanks for your help.

Not here, for sure. Though you'd certainly generate interest in the WIP board here, and there are other sites to submit to (R:TS and/or OLRemix.org might accept it). It sounds like an interesting and fun idea, though.

Not here, for sure. Though you'd certainly generate interest in the WIP board here, and there are other sites to submit to (R:TS and/or OLRemix.org might accept it). It sounds like an interesting and fun idea, though.

Okay, thanks - this mostly stems from a total lack of computational resources on my part, so I'll probably look into the WIP board to bounce my ideas of this style around.

'Ello, OCR! I am TheGreatPretender, I'll be here mixing music, and probably Trying to collab sometimes, I can sing! I can Piano! and if the moods right, I can Stalk Admins!

I've always been a Fan of Nintendo, and Music. I remember Being nearly RAISED by the SNES because of how much time I spent on it. I learned everything I know from, Mario, Luigi, DK and Link. I'll be here, quite a bit. so... G'Day!

Hello everyone. I have been a lurker on ocremix for a good long while now (probably 4 years or longer). I must say its long since overdue that I get involved with the community of amazing people that make up this site.

I find it fantastic that ocremix exists, and I absolutely unconditionally agree with the goal of the site. Music is indeed the most universal language, and game music has vast amounts to say about many, many genres.

As far as music from games goes, I have been listening to game soundtracks since i was 3 years old.

My first one was final fantasy's original nintendo soundtrack back in 1988, when i first got my curious hands on a nintendo controller in my older brother's room.

Ever since that day, I have been a huge fan of games, the tales they tell, the characters trials that they face and overcome, and the majestic music that fills the scenes with emotion, and breathes life into the game itself.

I hope to see you all around the forum! (i know i probably will anyways xD )

Hi all. :< I've been an off and on surfer of OCRemix since as far back as I can remember. I subscribed to the Youtube channel and got interested in the music again, so I'm mostly checking out these forums. I was especially interested to discover that OCRemix put out some actual albums, which I think is pretty cool.

Musically, I don't have much talent in any instruments or synth programs, though I've helped make a number of original MIDI compositions with my brother. I like games/anime/manga, and I dig Japanese culture.

It's nice to meet you all, and hope to see you around the forums.

I'm a newcomer, really haven't explored the whole site or it's music yet.

But I very much like what everyone is doing.

I've been a fan of all art since before I could remember.

Music is certainly one of my favorites :]

I hope someday I can get enough money for FL Studio and join in making some awesome pieces. :)

Hi everyone, i'm a newb. So much a newb, I kept a draft that was ready for email to the submission address so when I finish a song, it wouldn't take too long. For some reason, yahoo mail decided to send out the drafts that I had... Those were not good songs, here's a tip, wait a week before you listen to it again. Sounds totally different. Well, here's hoping that they don't judge that. Anyways, i'm really interested in this website, first on my homepage tabs, it also took me around 3 years to actually post something in this topic. Well... Lost my train of thought...

I hope to get good at all the mastering of tweaking that's involved, I just don't make samples sound good right now.

Edited by Dragonmind

Hi~ My name's SYNESTHETIC. Call me whatever you want; I've lurked around OCR and downloaded remixes since about 2007. I've made a good bit of music here and there, but part of my art is not letting it be traced back to me; so finding out my true identity is very difficult by design via a web of psuedonyms, half truths, complete fabrications and outright lies. ^^ I have a few remixes I'm working on and pondering carefully before submitting.. It'll be awhile. But, I'm friendly despite my anonymity! I love the project that this site is and I hope to become a frequent part of the community. Thank you. ^^;;

P.S: I solemnly promise never to ever remix 'Schala's Theme', 'Ice Cap Zone', 'Corridor Of Time', 'Prelude ~ FINAL FANTASY' or the Super Mario Bros. main theme. Are we friends now? 83

Hi~ My name's SYNESTHETIC. Call me whatever you want; I've lurked around OCR and downloaded remixes since about 2007. I've made a good bit of music here and there, but part of my art is not letting it be traced back to me; so finding out my true identity is very difficult by design via a web of psuedonyms, half truths, complete fabrications and outright lies. ^^ I have a few remixes I'm working on and pondering carefully before submitting.. It'll be awhile. But, I'm friendly despite my anonymity! I love the project that this site is and I hope to become a frequent part of the community. Thank you. ^^;;

P.S: I solemnly promise never to ever remix 'Schala's Theme', 'Ice Cap Zone', 'Corridor Of Time', 'Prelude ~ FINAL FANTASY' or the Super Mario Bros. main theme. Are we friends now? 83

What's wrong with the prelude? :P