The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

My name is Demetrius, but I go by NerdMeech; and I have been lurking this website for a loonng time. I dunno what took me soo long to gather the courage to join the forum; but I finally got around to it. I love the music that comes from this site and the love for just videogames and their music period. For now I am just a listener and fan [but soon I will be learning to play the Bass guitar and when I get good enough, hopefully uploading remixes of my own one day]. Some of my favorite soundtracks are DK64, Shaq Fu, FFIX and Brave Fencer Musashi. I am sorry that this intro was soo long lol.

Welcome to the forums!

Long intro? Psssht we've had longer. Welcome and enjoy your stay!*

*Some restrictions apply

my artist name is PixelPanic! I have recently started remixing and I am planning to submit some songs in the near future (not that good at mastering)! My favorite games are Mega Man X, Zelda: Wind Waker, and Earthbound, my favorite OST would have to be Chrono Trigger, though (can't beat Nobuo)!

My real talents are in translation and transposition from sheet music (I'm not that good at playing by ear) and making synths. I also play bass, but not that well, or maybe that well, I listen to a lot of good bassists so I don't have much room for comparison. VGM is my favorite kind of music, and although I make primarily rave-style music, I lean toward rock remixes done by the likes of Entertainment System or Random Encounter.

Edited by PixelPanic

Hey, everyone! I'm Greg. I've been musically involved for thirteen years, when I first picked up an alto sax on the first day of middle school band, but didn't start writing my own stuff until spring 2006. Back then I wrote sparsely and all of my music revolved around my music of study in college, jazz. Writing picked up over the next few years, but I didn't actually write anything intended for games until the fall after I graduated (2009).

Since then I've been getting more and more serious about writing for games. To keep myself focused, among other things, I started writing a blog (you can click my sig if you'd like to check it out). For me, joining OCRemix is long overdue, I think. I look forward to listening to and working on many projects here in the future.

Cheers!

PS: I already posted a thread in the WIP section. Did it last night and then thought 'hey, I'm sure there's a place to introduce myself.' Sure enough...

Just finding this now, I guess I'll introduce myself, despite having been here for a while.

So I'm pokemoneinstein. Shocker, huh? I'm 15 years old, and I've been gaming since I was three, starting with Donkey Kong Country and DKC2. I grew up on mostly retro stuff, so I have a lot of the same memories as a lot of you older users. VGM means a lot to me, and I'm quite honestly not sure why. But it brings back so many wonderful memories that regular, popular music just don't invoke. I started "remixing" on YouTube a couple of years ago, but I've really only gotten good in the last few months. For the longest time I would just take MIDIs and run them through GarageBand. But I'm a very fast learner, and I've managed to teach myself a lot about music theory just by listening to remixers here, as well as a YouTube user named skotein. I just finished my first attempt at a "real" remix, called Land of the Beans, and it's a huge improvement even from what I was uploading a few months ago.

It's so hard to choose a favorite song, or franchise, or anything, so I'll just list some of the ones that have been the biggest parts of my life. Kirby, Donkey Kong, Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, EarthBound, and Final Fantasy IV have been the biggest influences on my life, in terms of both music and gaming. More specifically, Kirby's Adventure, DKC, all the classic Mario games, as well as Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Pokémon Gold/Silver and Red/Blue, and Ocarina of Time... Wow, that's a lot of games, and I'm not nearly done, so I'll just stop. I feel like this is way more information than necessary XD

Anyway, it means a lot to me that I get to be here! Glad to meet some of you, and to know some others, and I look forward to spending even more time around these parts!

Just finding this now, I guess I'll introduce myself, despite having been here for a while.

So I'm pokemoneinstein. Shocker, huh? I'm 15 years old, and I've been gaming since I was three, starting with Donkey Kong Country and DKC2.

Are we related?
I started "remixing" on YouTube a couple of years ago, but I've really only gotten good in the last few months. For the longest time I would just take MIDIs and run them through GarageBand. But I'm a very fast learner, and I've managed to teach myself a lot about music theory just by listening to remixers here, as well as a YouTube user named skotein. I just finished my first attempt at a "real" remix, called Land of the Beans, and it's a huge improvement even from what I was uploading a few months ago.

Anyway, it means a lot to me that I get to be here! Glad to meet some of you, and to know some others, and I look forward to spending even more time around these parts!

Well, pokemoneinstein, I guess this is your official welcome to OCR. Welcome, and have fun!

It's been almost 5 years since my last post. If you remember me as an avid remix reviewer/listener and forum poster, it's nice to be back in touch. If you joined any time after 2007, let me give a full introduction:

Lady Zelda here. I live, eat, sleep, and breathe video games. Over the last 5 years I have worked to grow my video game horizons exponentially, including discovering a hobby for writing video game-themed song parodies. For that, I recently started a YouTube channel, where I am known as Lady Game Lyric, that I have been working to grow. If you are interested in checking it out, here is my channel: www.youtube.com/LadyGameLyric

This of course moved me to get more involved in the video game music community (even if video game song parodies don't count as video game music...do they?) and made me realize I owe you all a long-overdue visit and a pledge to be more active on OC Remix this year.

So hello from Lady Zelda/Lady Game Lyric, and it is very nice to be back!

Greetings!

I've been a long-time lurker, but I thought that it is wrong to not properly introduce myself as I am big OCR fan. Before anything else, I'd like to thank all of the OCRemixers who are working hard to make us experience another side of music; I deeply respect what you do.

I'm 20 and I live in France, somewhere near Paris to be a little bit more precise, so my English can be quite weird from time to time because I am not very used to talk casually in English (even though I am studying English literature <_<). Though, I must say, my French is weird too, even though I've been living in France for 20 years. Grammar is a pain ** *** *** after all... :(

I was quite a gamer, J-RPGs had risen my interest in game music, I started J-RPGs quite early with Final Fantasy VI and I just cannot forget the first time I heard Atma Weapon's battle theme... and of course, Kefka's epic Dancing Mad theme. I don't have as much time as I did before so now I stick with watching animes, playing from time to time with friends.

I had played keyboard for about a year and then I dropped because I had little time to spend on music. But now I kinda regret this decision and I want to play once again asap!

I listen to quite a lot of things, ranging from video games music (O RLY?) to Japanese music (yeah, including anime music and stuff, I really like Kajiura Yuki's works), but mostly rock&metal (things like Arctic Monkeys, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Nightwish, The Police, Queen, etc. among others).

My favourite OST is... well, each track has its own meaning, so it is a hard choice. I would say "The Last Remnant"'s OST because there is a lot of variety in it. My favourite game music is definitely "Final Fantasy XI"'s "Distant Worlds", though I love "Final Fantasy IX"'s "A Place to Call Home" nearly as much.

As for my favourite OCR Album... well, I enjoyed most of them, but "Chrono Symphonic" was top-notch. Finally, my favourite OCR... ugh, I can't say. They all remind me part of my childhood so they all bring good ol' memories back, that is why I am thankful. I have a preference for epic sounding OCRemix (orchestra-like), heavy metal track (well, you know, lots of beats and with ungodly guitar solo), acoustic&piano; and OCR never fails to surprise me.

That's quite a wall of text, I'm sorry about it, I have a bad habit of saying/writing too much about myself.

Please take good care of me. :D

[edit]oh, and happy chinese new year too. :D

Edited by Shakuei

Hey, an introduction place-thing!

Hello everyone! I, like many I'm sure, have been lurking around this site for a while. I was just waiting for the right moment to make an account (similar to how one might wait, with an arrow nocked and the bowstring drawn, for the right moment to claim their target). I recently saw a request for performers in one of the album threads and thought "that's my cue!" (pun always intended :-) )...Wait, is that really a pun at all?

About me! I'm currently finishing up my undergrad at college (getting a borring BA in Music) and have absolutely no idea what I want to do afterwards! So exciting! :dstrbd:

I've gotten into a lot of things though, both in and outside of music, and since composition is one of them I'm sure I'll be posting my own remix around here soon enough (though I think I should deal with my comp. project for school first >_>) The amount of community support and quality feedback around here is mind-blowing to me, so I feel like it'd be a waste to not take advantage of it :smile:

More info! My favorite game is easily FFIX, which also happens to hold my favorite game OST. I play lots of RPGs but I'm also very partial to Metroid, Kirby, and Link. Of those three series, my favorites would probably be Super Metroid (though I liked Other M a lot), Kirby Super Star, and either Wind Waker or Skyward Sword (I need to give SS a few more years to see how well it holds up).

Anyway, I can be terrible at keeping up with social things (even online social things) but I'm determined to make it most likely not happen here, probably. See you in the forums!

...I never know how to end things well. :whatevaa:

I only just found this thread. :lol:

Greetings, everyone. I am a sophomore college student hoping to be a music composer for games. Hoping I can start off here because I'm not satisfied with whether I'm original or not, yet, as well as getting interested in remixes, covers, and the like.

I already have some original releases available on Bandcamp, if anyone wants sonic reference as to what I do.

http://sgtyayapproductions.bandcamp.com/

I look forward to the experience, here. :smile:

Hey all! Long time lurker / listener, first time poster. Looking to really expand my musical technique here and share some of my creations with you all. Just graduated from college and now I have nothing else to do but find a job and produce some music. I am hoping to jump right in and get some solid feedback.

Hey all! Long time lurker / listener, first time poster. Looking to really expand my musical technique here and share some of my creations with you all. Just graduated from college and now I have nothing else to do but find a job and produce some music. I am hoping to jump right in and get some solid feedback.
I only just found this thread. :lol:

Greetings, everyone. I am a sophomore college student hoping to be a music composer for games. Hoping I can start off here because I'm not satisfied with whether I'm original or not, yet, as well as getting interested in remixes, covers, and the like.

I already have some original releases available on Bandcamp, if anyone wants sonic reference as to what I do.

http://sgtyayapproductions.bandcamp.com/

I look forward to the experience, here. :smile:

Well, as you two probably know, the best place for feedback is the Workshop forums.

Welcome to the OverClocked Remix forums!

Hello all!

Recently discovered the site and its trove of treasure through the Extra Creditz show, if you haven't seen it check it out :)

Long-time gamer and somewhat shorter time as an amateur musician. I've played for several years, mainly guitar, and played around in various DAWs. Just recently have I started taking it seriously. I thought I'd try my hand at some remixing. If it doesn't pan out you'll just see me enjoying all the wonderful stuff on the site :)

Anyhow, hope to be an asset to the community and have some fun!

Thanks!

Hello all!

Recently discovered the site and its trove of treasure through the Extra Creditz show, if you haven't seen it check it out :)

Long-time gamer and somewhat shorter time as an amateur musician. I've played for several years, mainly guitar, and played around in various DAWs. Just recently have I started taking it seriously. I thought I'd try my hand at some remixing. If it doesn't pan out you'll just see me enjoying all the wonderful stuff on the site :)

Anyhow, hope to be an asset to the community and have some fun!

Thanks!

Welcome! It's great that EC is sending over new members. You might be interested to know that Sephfire (Daniel from the show) is a ReMixer himself. Start Mixin'.

Hey Guys ,

I am drmattviolin.My name is Matt , actually it is a nickname that i am using in english.

And i am a violinist , i have been playing nearly 10 years!!

I am going to medical school and i will be a doctor in 2 years hopefully :))

So here i am , i do covers for musics .I also started to cover game themes that i liked.

I have Morrowind Theme and FFX - A Fleeting Dream for now , but i am doing uncharted 3 Nate's Theme and Batman Arkham City.

You can visit my youtube channel

www.youtube.com/drmattviolin .

I wish we will have a great time here . I will do my best!

Cheers!

:350:

Hello everyone! I've been lurking OCR for years now, and finally decided it was time to drop a line and introduce myself.

I'm Sarinilli, an avid fan of the Legend of Zelda series, and music in general. Never done a remix, and I have minimal experience with sound editing. I have dabbled in various forms of music, from singing to keyboard, flute and my beloved little Ocarinas. I had a violin for a while which I sadly had to get rid of because of shoulder problems. I'm also a fan of harps/lyres and would love to get one, drums of all kinda, and guitars- especially electric bass.

I like to think I'm a decent singer and not half bad with my ocarina, but by no means consider myself to be good enough with my ocarina to record for remixes. That might or might not just be self criticism though. Regardless, and all of my various time consuming hobbies aside (I have plenty), I do like messing around with music and recordings from time to time.

Vocal and Ocarina references, if anyone is so inclined...

Singing Skyward Sword's "Ballad of the Goddess" backed by the source lyre/harp tune: http://hyliasrealm.webs.com/Sarinilli/Sarinilli_-_Ballad_of_the_Goddess.mp3

Ballad of the Goddess played on my alto 6 hole Ocarina: http://hyliasrealm.webs.com/Sarinilli/Sarinilli_-_Ballad_of_the_Goddess_Alto_Ocarina.mp3

Edited by Sarinilli
added and updated information in my post.

Hi everyone, I'm Mokoni.

I'm a HUGE fan of video games in general, and I want to write music for video games for a living.

I actually met OC Remix in person first via my room mate, she seems to be good friends with them, hahah, though they met me by my real name.

I'm actually a Graduate Student at NYU Steinhardt in the Music Technology program, and I'm trying to write a Master's Thesis on chiptunes (I was trying to see if I could post here to see if I could talk to chiptunes composers as interviews for said thesis, but have NO idea where to put it).

I'm classically trained in flute, piccolo, voice, piano, etc. I have an ocarina too but it's a small one, I want a bigger one. I've gotten my hands on almost every single orchestral instrument at one point or another, and know classical orchestration extremely well. I stepped into the tech scene because, well, that's where you have to go if you want to write for games, right?

Actually I'm pretty sure if it weren't for my room mate, I'd probably still have no idea what to do next in order to pursue my career...

I DO have a website but currently do not have a lot of samples up on it, currently working on making more. If you're interested in seeing it, please go here: www.mokonimusic.com

I really have no idea what to put, I don't want to sound snobby...so I guess that's it for now. Look forward to meeting more people, and perhaps having my questions answered.

Please take good care of me :3

[YES I am a female gamer, HARDCORE, for the record]

Hello, everyone.

My name is Ian A. Neumann, but please call me Ian.

I had trouble regestering at this forum because even though I was doing everything correctly, I still kept getting that one error.

But thankfully, with help, I was able to get on the forums. :)

Anyways, I came here to this forum to see if I can make some music track requests for any composers who would want to create them with their MIDI Players or Reorchestrated Software Thingies like on that ZREO site.

I'm more into classic cartoon music rather than video game music,so I certainly hope that some people out there would be glad to work on some requests I have in mind.

My name is CG Morton.

I played piano as a youth, clarinet and saxophone in school, and more recently took up the bass guitar, which I play with some friends in both jazz and rock capacities. I like to think that I'm passably good.

I've also dickered about with composition. For instance, I once transposed piano parts for every song in Final Fantasy (the first one).

But now I'm trying to get proper serious. I mean to make video games, and I also mean to write the music for them. So I'm here primarily to learn what I can about making excellent music.

Of course, I'm also a long-time fan of the site, so I'll try and contribute what I can. I may even try my hand at a remix, though they say it takes five years to be good enough to pass the judges, so, uh, don't hold your breath.

Anyways, it's been lovely meeting you all! I hope we will be the best of friends.

I've been a fan of video games music since I first got my Sega Mega Drive (aka Genesis), at around 8 years old. I'll never forget the first moments I heard the "Streets of Rage" main theme for the first time. Damn... the chills!

From "Sonic: The Hedgehog" incredibly made soundtrack to the "Mortal Kombat" series awesome dark-ambient music overall, to my all-time favorite "Comix Zone", they all got me thinking: "Man... I gotta learn to play this." By the time I got the console, I was already learning to play the guitar on my own, and with a little help from older friends and soon started to practice my favorite game's tunes. I mean, my technique was, of course, very bad... but hell, I sure had lots of fun doing it anyway.

I'm 26 years old now. I'm a professional musician for two aspiring rock bands. Been writing, recording/producing and playing live shows actively for about 7 years now and I have no doubt that I owe it to my passion for music. But that alone isn't enough if you're not fully commited to the cause, don't have lots of perseverence and are not willing to dedicate a lot of your time learning and knowing your instrument, and are not constantly motivated by your own beliefs and results to work even harder and get further beyond. And, in my case...

... were not simply a young boy fascinated by video games music. If I look back, I can clearly see where it all really started for me :)

CM

Name's Adam. Been playing games since I was 8 and when I hit about 14-15 I started getting heavily into VGM. Self taught in piano since 2008 and classically trained in guitar for about 5 years. Hopefully I'll be able to learn how to begin arranging music from the ocr community and perhaps give something back at the same time

Looking forward to it. :smile:

But that alone isn't enough if you're not fully commited to the cause, don't have lots of perseverence and are not willing to dedicate a lot of your time learning and knowing your instrument, and are not constantly motivated by your own beliefs and results to work even harder and get further beyond. And, in my case...

... were not simply a young boy fascinated by video games music. If I look back, I can clearly see where it all really started for me :)

CM

As is the case for many people here.

Welcome to the forums you two!

Hey everyone,

My name's Steve. I've been playing video games since I learned to use my thumbs, and its my goal to write music for video games!

I'm a guitarist, however I'm currently studying film scoring (minor in video game scoring) at Berklee College of Music so composing takes up most of my time! I've got a few songs up on my Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/stephen-pierce-music

I heard about OC ReMix when I discovered that a lot of my favorite composers/producers (Danny Baranowsky, Zircon, Jimmy Hinson) got their start here, and after lurking for a while I figured it was finally time to make an account and get some feedback from you guys!

I'm trying to up my electronic skillz which is also what led me here. I hope to learn a lot from everybody and help out where ever I can!

Thanks!

Hello my name is Tylar. My music skills are not that good and I can really only compose very basic melodys so I'm saving up for music lessons and my computer with FL Studio bit the dust so don't expect any remixes from me soon but I was working on a remix for Gannons lair from LOZ and I do have a idea for a Stardust Speedway Bad Future (USA) from Sonic CD remix.