Sign in to follow this  
starla

FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

Ok. (First off, know that I am a remixing noob) I've got a keyboard that has midi in's and out's, and I have an adapter/cord thet lets me plug it into my PC though the controler port. The problem is, I can't get FL to recognize that I have it connected. What do I do?

Ok... What do I need to do in FL to get it to see my keyboard?

It's not a problem with FL seeing your keyboard, but rather a problem with your SOUNDCARD seeing your keyboard. This is common with Gaming Port MIDI adaptors... -_-'

Try to make sure you don't have any drivers from your keyboard installed; that'll mess it up. The soundcard drivers work fine.

If anyone has a SB Live! sound card like me, then you'll probably be having (or know how to fix) the same problem I'm having.

Apparently, the factory settings do not, in the beginning, allow forthe sound card to record MIDI signals from a keyboard, only to output to a keyboard. How would one go about making the SoundCard recognize the Keyboard's signals coming in? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with "interrupts" (I think, IRQ) but I'm not really too clear on the specifics.

Anyway, thanks.

And does TS404 really have a use? It seems like it could be good if I could work it right... it's got the kind of plucky, short sound I need, but I'm just wondering if anyone has found a good use for this yet. I know that 3xOsc is good for pads, and also good for when you just want something simple to use for gating and stuff.

Want to hear the TS-404 in action when in the right hands?

http://www.tri-emplem.com/beatdrop/Beatdrop%20-%20Kleptomaniacal.mp3

The lead synths in that song were TS-404...

Here's another :twisted: evil song. The lead is 3xosc and one or two of the other synths are as well. The pads and the bells are good old ts404.

http://www.sectionz.com/SZ50_Music/music2/mp3/prophecy_track_6018595.MP3

saving target as is alot of fun btw. If for some reason you don't have SZ you might need it to listen to this.

Not sure if this is Fruityloops 101 material per se, but I suppose someone here will be able to help...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to create a "modem synth"? You know, that sound a dial-up makes when it's connecting to the internet. I've been messing around with 3xOsc, but I haven't come up with anything that sounds just right yet.

Not sure if this is Fruityloops 101 material per se, but I suppose someone here will be able to help...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to create a "modem synth"? You know, that sound a dial-up makes when it's connecting to the internet. I've been messing around with 3xOsc, but I haven't come up with anything that sounds just right yet.

Actually, WASP can create a sound like that. Try fooling around with the LFO or something.

I suggest rather than trying to create a semi realistic sound with a synth why not get a sample? Maybe even perhaps you have song or two with a pjone sample in it. If so you can beatslice it. I'm not the smartest mixer in the world when it comes to sf so I usualy stick to simple ones like wind noises. Whenever I need something a bit more complicated I just try to find a sample.

I know that someone already posted about this problem, but I couldn't find a clear answer. When I render my mp3 it has pops and static. It seems he solved his problem, so maybe someone could help me out also?

EDIT: Also, when I render the volume is a bit high, even though I changed it in fruity loops. Anyway to normailize it in the render?

hi... i have a song where a track is supposed to fade out, but as it starts to, the volume randomly leaps up, fades, leaps up again, then fades and totally ruins the effect. i checked the event editor, and there aren't any volume anomalies. there also aren't any other tracks using this channel, so there aren't any conflicts. the FX channel it's on doesn't modify the volume, and it only happens when i'm playing the whole song, not the pattern.

does anyone know wtf is going on? :(

okay.... i've got a song planned out in my mind, i've made each pattern that i want and i know the sequence that i want it to play in, now how do i set the sequence to play in that order, and then how do i get it into an .mp3/.wav/whatever file

i figured out the problem. i was changing volume in both the channel automation and main automation. very bad.

and REF, if i'm thinking about what you're trying to do correctly, all that you have to do is open the playlist by hitting F5, or clicking the shiny PL button to the right of the CPU monitor. there you can sequence your patterns in the order you want. give them meaningful names so you don't get confused (especially critical for 50+ pattern people like me :)). also, you can move patterns up or down by holding alt and then pressing either up or down.

to make it into an mp3/wav file, just go to File-Export, then take your pick :)

and what's all this talk about the default instruments being crappy? i've made some pretty nifty things with 'em, though i have had to make my own samples or borrow 'em from game files on occaision. the only thing i'm lacking are some good, realistic string, choir, timpani, harp, etc samples. classical instruments and whatnot :)

I'm sorry if this has already been asked -- I set out to read the entire 25 pages of pure Fruity Loops but I bailed at around page 8. My question is that of a true newbie. When I import MIDIs into FL (ver. 3), how do I replace the midi voices with better samples? I've tried dragging the samples from the browser over to the track, and sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. Is there a toggle that I need to switch to replace MIDI voices with sampled voices, or the FL voices?

Thanks, and I apologize for my musical and technical illiteracy.

okay.... i've got a song planned out in my mind, i've made each pattern that i want and i know the sequence that i want it to play in, now how do i set the sequence to play in that order, and then how do i get it into an .mp3/.wav/whatever file

use the "playlist" to set it up, and then listen to it, make adjustments, listen again, and once you're satisfied with it, go to file/export/mp3 :roll:

I'm sorry if this has already been asked -- I set out to read the entire 25 pages of pure Fruity Loops but I bailed at around page 8. My question is that of a true newbie. When I import MIDIs into FL (ver. 3), how do I replace the midi voices with better samples? I've tried dragging the samples from the browser over to the track, and sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. Is there a toggle that I need to switch to replace MIDI voices with sampled voices, or the FL voices?

Thanks, and I apologize for my musical and technical illiteracy.

you can drag soundfonts onto the midi out, and it will replace the midi output plugin with the fruity soundfont plugin. but what i prefer to do when i just want a midi to sound better is add new samplers, cut the piano roll from the midi channel, and paste it on the empty channel, adding a sample to it after i've done that for all of them. only problem is, that it still isn't my own work ;)

and what's all this talk about the default instruments being crappy? i've made some pretty nifty things with 'em, though i have had to make my own samples or borrow 'em from game files on occaision. the only thing i'm lacking are some good, realistic string, choir, timpani, harp, etc samples. classical instruments and whatnot :)

they mean the FST, not the "samples" (the raw .wav files which the FST use). almost all of the FST are detuned, and sound BAD (except for maybe a few, such as the TB303 fst, which uses the ins_saw.wav) i can do quite a few things using the wavs found in */*/fruityloops/samples/instruments/shapes folder. i especially love creating moog pads using ml_moog. also: the orionstring sample in extra is rather nice for being defsamp.

ok i guess i spoke too soon. the problem came back when i reloaded the flp. the only volume adjustments i'm making are in the main automation, and i've checked its event editor for sporaticness, and there is none. i'm not making changes on the pattern itself anymore, and there aren't any other patterns using this channel.

:(

Okay, I have some soundfonts in Fruity Loops, I use them in a song, but when I go to save it it says some things can't be saved and will be deleted, when I press okay, all of the channels of soundfonts I've used are gone and aren't in the song.... how can i save a song and keep the soundfont in the song???