Sign in to follow this  
starla

FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

I gotta question: How do i get rid of that .." hollow" sound that happens when FL exports as MP3? Is there any kind of outside program (preferably free) that can get rid of that hollow sound? Like.. in FL, all the sounds sound great.. crisp, clear, all the chords aren't too loud or soft. But, after the export, the song turns to crap. The music is soft.. no more clear or crisp sound like the FL version and it sounds like its underwater (without the bubbles) I'm not really sure how to describe it. But, its annoying me. Any help is appreciated.

Uh, that doesn't sound like a problem with FL, but more appropriately a problem with your soundcard. I can't tell you what that problem is, though. Surely someone else will have some idea...

I gotta question: How do i get rid of that .." hollow" sound that happens when FL exports as MP3? Is there any kind of outside program (preferably free) that can get rid of that hollow sound? Like.. in FL, all the sounds sound great.. crisp, clear, all the chords aren't too loud or soft. But, after the export, the song turns to crap. The music is soft.. no more clear or crisp sound like the FL version and it sounds like its underwater (without the bubbles) I'm not really sure how to describe it. But, its annoying me. Any help is appreciated.

Firstly, I would say dont export to mp3. Export to wave, its always a better idea.

Secondly, can you define the 'hollow' sound? Is that sound absent when you export to wav? or when you playback normal? Are you using vstis that may affect this? (Some vstis will create noise in a demo version)

mine does the same thing... i havent figured it out yet.

ARTAP

Ok, sorry i don't have any answers, but I do have a question. This is really starting to get annoying, but, the question is about gating....

By gating I mean when you assign an effect for a peak controller to a rhythm, and then you link the volume of an instrument to that peak controller, causing the volume of the instrument to go up and down with the rhythm (drastically, from 0 to wherever) creating an articulated rhythm often used in trance. However, when I try to do this, something goes wrong, and even when the rhythm holds, the instrument's volume will only stay up for a very short amount of time, as in, staccato/spurts. This is ok for when I want cool articulation, but there are times when I don't want it to articulate, and I just want it to hold... how can I make it hold? The rhythm is set for a long note and then a couple short notes, but either way, it always plays staccato. What should I do? I checked the Gating tutorial in FL, and it can do it, and I saved the peak controller as a preset and am using it, but it doesn't do any good.

I noticed this too, especially when comparing to other Remixes on OCR. Bump up the reverb a load and try again.

Its probably the effects that you need to play with.

Ok, sorry i don't have any answers, but I do have a question. This is really starting to get annoying, but, the question is about gating....

By gating I mean when you assign an effect for a peak controller to a rhythm, and then you link the volume of an instrument to that peak controller, causing the volume of the instrument to go up and down with the rhythm (drastically, from 0 to wherever) creating an articulated rhythm often used in trance. However, when I try to do this, something goes wrong, and even when the rhythm holds, the instrument's volume will only stay up for a very short amount of time, as in, staccato/spurts. This is ok for when I want cool articulation, but there are times when I don't want it to articulate, and I just want it to hold... how can I make it hold? The rhythm is set for a long note and then a couple short notes, but either way, it always plays staccato. What should I do? I checked the Gating tutorial in FL, and it can do it, and I saved the peak controller as a preset and am using it, but it doesn't do any good.

Make sure the peak base volume is set all the way down and the peak and peak decay amount is all the way up. Also make sure you're linking the channel to the controller in just peak, not LFO or Peak and LFO, just peak. Also, make sure the channel under the peak controller's volume envelope is properly set!

tsk tsk tsk, you were using a snare as a gate. make sure you use things that can hold a note!

Make sure the peak base volume is set all the way down and the peak and peak decay amount is all the way up. Also make sure you're linking the channel to the controller in just peak, not LFO or Peak and LFO, just peak. Also, make sure the channel under the peak controller's volume envelope is properly set!

tsk tsk tsk, you were using a snare as a gate. make sure you use things that can hold a note!

Shadow... tell me you taught yourself all of this. I'll be so amazed if you really did. :o

Once again, nice work thoroughly answering that question. I've been neglecting this thread a bit too much lately, but lots of stuff's been going on in my life that has kept me away from forums quite often.

Fruityloops lags like a mofo all of a sudden. Why? Why, God, why?

(one of you tell me why)

If I edit, no one will see it, so I'll re-post.

It used to run fine, but now everything I've used (except MIDI output) lags. Speeding up the tempo to 355 to see how it sounds is stupid, so I don't do it.

This was mentioned in Troubleshooting, but it basically just said: "Wait a while and it'll go away, kid."

It's not that it's a complicated problem that you're answering, it's the way you're answering it. You're so damn thorough in your explanations. :D

I don't feel like reading all of these threads pages so.... could you please answer my question....?

I need help on getting it to actually play midis I open in Fruity Loops V3.5.6

It does not play midis.....

Can anyone Help?

as for orion's Q, go under the options menu, and find audio, or midi out tab.....somewhere (youll know it when you see it) theres a port selector...make sure the midi out channel is set to the channel that that options screen is set to

as for my question, damn...what WAS my question... well, while I try to remember what my decent question was...lemme ask this one...

one thing I wanna do in one my songs, is make the melody, by picking (with one finger) the notes of the main melody, and then certain notes, I wanna have an upleading arpegiation to the actual note at its actual location, is there an easier way to do this besides learning how to drum-roll adeptly, the instrument pre-note, and then mess with the volume on the PR?

I'll get back to you on the question that was bugging me

hey guys,

i want to record knob changes during my song......such as i want the cut to tone it down from super trance lead, to mellow it down a bit over a few measures. i was wondering how to record this change...every now and again i get lucky and it records..but not this time..im lost

thanks,

-arlum

use a live-recording track (an empty one) to do all your "live recording" on. Click the circle (record) button, then play....and tweak the knob when you see fit. Stop, turn off record, and play... If its not right, right-click the edited knob, on the live-recording track's channel. And tweak it through the event editor.

*hopes he got that right(and not too confusingly said)*

Actually, you can use the event editor from the start to make your automations. Also, automations can be put on any number of patterns, not just a single master automation pattern.

I got a full 3.0 FL...wheres is the scracther/turn table at? Or do I need to DL it? Plus how do I "hold" a note to where its fades out eventually(sp?)?

Thanks =)

You have version 3.0? For one, it doesn't have the scratcher. Two, it's the most buggy version of FL ever released. My suggestion to you is to grab a later version, like 3.56, which is what I have. They have FruityStudio 4 out now, so I recommend you go to www.flstudio.com and buy it.

And your second question: Use the piano roll! Right click on the channel and select piano roll. It's fairly easy to use so I don't think I need to explain to you how to use it :D remember drag the right side in and out to determine the length of the note (unless you're using a standard .wav sample with no loop points)

Okay, i'm sick of being FL retarded... how do i go about making my own loops, sounds, etc.???

to make your own sounds use wasp, simisynth, and 3xosc (there may be more than that, but its all i use)

Also, there are effects you can use in fruity to alter an existing sound (cuttin and resonatin, high pass low pass etc, overdrive/distortion) and there are effects you can find on the net that will actually morph the sound adding lfo and such (like one i use sometimes called trancemittor).

For synths you dont want to use soundfonts if you can help it (though some are really good) because the envelope on the sound shrinks the higher you go. With 3xosc you will have the same envelope on all notes. A few other things like this happen when using soundfonts. Plus i havent found but one soundfont that uses the bottom note all the way to the top, the generators in fruity can.

If im wrong about anything i said, sorry. Hope i was at least some help.

I guess DM Lee was probably right in everything he said, and I may be able to provide more info too, but I'm not exactly sure what your question is, REF?

Do you mean loops and sounds, as in, you've been using the default FruityLoops stuff? Well, first of all, you don't need loops. If you just have the percussion in there in realtime you have far more control over it. As for the sounds, I would suggest SoundFonts and VSTi's. Go to the links section to find soundfonts, and VSTi's you can find with google or kvr-vst.com (I think that's the URL). SoundFonts pretty much can be loaded into FL like samples... I haven't really found many practical advantages over samples, but many SoundFonts are really well made and sound good, and most of all, most good sounds you're going to find are going to be in that format. You can load them in from the browser (the left window of FL).

VSTi's are... well, load Wasp, Simsynth, or Fruity DX10 up. That's basically what a VSTi is like; when you want to load it in, you need to have it scan for it (Channels, Add One, More...) and then check it off so it's in the Channels, Add One list (that's also where Wasp and Simsynth and all are). They're software synthesizers, and it'll let you make your own sounds.

Sorry if you already knew that, or weren't asking that, but even if you don't need this info, I'm sure somebody else does.

Yeah, sorry, rellik i did no that...

what i meant by my questionw as, well, i've heard that you can make your own sounds and samples and stuff, so i wanted to do that... and also, i was gonna make a good techno loop, like stuff found in the 3xOS (something like that) section, like the arpeggios and layers and stuff, i need more things like that, and i'm not too good on making my own... so i really either just need more things like that, or just a way to make my own....

does that help?