Sign in to follow this  
starla

FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

Well, I'm not going to let my handicap stop me from making music. I'm starting out easy, trying to mimic whatever music I have a pretty good memory of, for instance the SpyHunter theme(something yall could probably sit down and do in about 30 minutes). But I find that the "samples" (not sure if thats the correct terminology for whatever they are) don't quite make the right sound, no matter how much I fiddle with them. If you've ever heard the Spyhunter theme from NES you know its got an elementary drum sequence (which isn't my problem, I got that down in about 10 minutes) but once I tried to start on the melody I ran into a wall, I cant make a bass (guitar) or that cool flute sound....not to mention that strange bass-accentuating high end *Nnye* sound.

To my knowledge the samples are the "ready to go" instruments, as in all you do is open it in a new channel, and work yer magic. Am I gonna have to go get a job so I can BUY FL and the free updates option? Or is there a way I can get some decent sounds to come out of this pile.

Oh...another thing...if I cant get the tempo right...with the default settings, should I speed it up, and stretch out the step sequencer? Or should I just do everything in the Piano roll (which seems to be more work than its worth just to mimic the damn Spyhunter theme)

Am I gonna have to go get a job so I can BUY FL and the free updates option? Or is there a way I can get some decent sounds to come out of this pile.

While, the answer is NO (unless you're using a demo), I'd still suggest buying it. If you're using a demo, you can't save your work, and that's extremely crappy.

Oh...another thing...if I cant get the tempo right...with the default settings, should I speed it up, and stretch out the step sequencer? Or should I just do everything in the Piano roll (which seems to be more work than its worth just to mimic the damn Spyhunter theme)

Use both the piano roll AND the step sequencer. The SS is good for drums and hits, while the piano roll should be used for almost everything else (including drum rolls).

But I find that the "samples" (not sure if thats the correct terminology for whatever they are) don't quite make the right sound, no matter how much I fiddle with them. If you've ever heard the Spyhunter theme from NES you know its got an elementary drum sequence (which isn't my problem, I got that down in about 10 minutes) but once I tried to start on the melody I ran into a wall, I cant make a bass (guitar) or that cool flute sound....not to mention that strange bass-accentuating high end *Nnye* sound.

If you mean you can't get the instruments (easier to call 'em that) to sound like the ones on the NES, you should download some VSTs. The guys who made the demo songs on FL know how to use it to a very full extent, which is why they can get the default instruments to sound so good. If you don't want to become a black belt in Fruity Kwon Do, however, you can save a lot of time simply by downloading VSTs. There's a whole load available at http://www.kvr-vst.com, most not only easy to use but great sounding, too.

Oh, and Beatdrop: KTHX

There should be a FL mentoring program going on for us less fortunate youngsters. :) If anyone has some spare time, I could really use some input. I'm doing one of the most pointless things imaginable, and trying to get the SpyHunter theme down in fruityloops manually. Sure I wanna learn to RMX but I figure that making music in its most basic form would probably be a better starting place. The link to what I'm shooting for ishttp://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/pgunn.mid and I could easily send you a copy of what I have so far. So if anyone is interested in helping a poor helpless noob, drop me a line. I'd be very grateful.

I just DLed the Demo version of Fruity Loops 3 today and I need help on

a LOT. But for now, I'll only go a little at a time...

First off, what is a generator. Meaning, how do I use it, what is it for and

the like... I know that it has something to do with channels or they're

channels or something, but what are they used for?... :?:

Second, how do I use Peak Controllers? Same as the Generators...How

do I use them, what are they for? (I know that they are used to change

the quality or the sound of an instrument or something...) See how sad

this is? :?:

I would appreciate any help I can get. Any help that you can give

me! PLZ, I am considering purchasing the Fruity Loops 3 program, but I

would like to know how to use it! :!:

:arrow: P.S.-I know that you can't save with the demo, but I want to get a feel for

the program. Maybe even His Highness DJP could help out with the basics,

and that's all it really is that I need...The basics of FL...

Thanks in advance if this post gets an answer!

How do i change the tempo at a certain period of time in Fruityloops assuming i'm using the playlist editor?

The topic on automating and changing tempo does not exists, so i asked this question :oops:

How do i change the tempo at a certain period of time in Fruityloops assuming i'm using the playlist editor?

The topic on automating and changing tempo does not exists, so i asked this question :oops:

*sigh* Go back a few pages and you'll find it. Automation is covered numerous times in this thread.

First off, what is a generator. Meaning, how do I use it, what is it for and

the like... I know that it has something to do with channels or they're

channels or something, but what are they used for?...

Generators are any tracks in FruityLoops that generate sound. This includes the TS-404, 3xOsc, WASP, Simsynth, and sample tracks. You use them to create music, silly. :roll:

Second, how do I use Peak Controllers? Same as the Generators...How

do I use them, what are they for? (I know that they are used to change

the quality or the sound of an instrument or something...) See how sad

this is?

There is a tutorial in FL specifically to illustrate how to use the Peak Controller. Please look through the Tutorials folder for it to find the answer to your question.

There is a tutorial in FL specifically to illustrate how to use the Peak Controller. Please look through the Tutorials folder for it to find the answer to your question.

I looked, and I didn't find one. There is no "Peak Controller" catagory or whatever, so I looked under what I thought were related topics and couldn't find it. What is it under?

Now, How do I make a sliding effect on my instruments (or generators)?

P.S.-Thanks for telling me what a generator is.

I can't give you the filename of the tutorial I'm talking about right now because I'm at school (away from FruityLoops).

The "slide effect" you speak of is called portamento. There should be a knob for it in the track properties window.

I downloaded som samples from this place http://www.thesoundsite.net/ , but when i should save my track, then i couldn´t do that because a message appeared....."Warning some of the samples may be deleted because it is only demo samples" or something. So i lost my belowed samples :(...how can i get similar samples that will work forever???? :roll:

The "slide effect" you speak of is called portamento. There should be a knob for it in the track properties window.

Cool, but how does one make the knob turn (like, automatically). I've seen

the example tracks and some of, no, a lot of their knobs are constantly

turning. How do they do that?

I must once again remind u of my FL impared mind.

Thanks in advance (and to your other replies).

The porta knob under the misc tab doesn't need to be automated really. It's used to specify how long a slide should be. Check the porta checkbox on and start putting notes right next to each other in the piano roll and you'll hear the slide.

As for automating other things like cut/res on stuff or volume/panning, etcetera just go to a new pattern, name it so you know it's an event for something and then go to the knob you want to automate and right click it and click edit events. Then edit the automation to your liking... when finished just place the pattern where in the playlist you want the automation to be triggered and it should work. Note: not putting automation all by itself is generally a bad practice because it sometimes won't work the way you want it to and stuff.

ARGGHHH

okay, i ran into that damn "MidiOUT" problem again...this time it came back with reinforcements. Im praying to the god of music that this will stop happening or else im afraid im gonna headbutt this monitor and asphyxiate in the toxic fumes.. :evil: ..

anywho, the first thing when i open FL I go under the MIDI options, you know the options screen with the four tabs... and its the first tab "Midi" something....options probably... ANywho, i try to set the port from --- to 1 and it says "MMSYSTEM004 Device specified is already in use, please wait until... " blah blah blah... And it does that for every port number I set it to...no matter if its the MIDI Mapper port im changing, or the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth Port #....dont get me wrong im not setting them to the same port# or anything... this program just wants me to kill myself!

The porta knob under the misc tab doesn't need to be automated really. It's used to specify how long a slide should be. Check the porta checkbox on and start putting notes right next to each other in the piano roll and you'll hear the slide.

As for automating other things like cut/res on stuff or volume/panning, etcetera just go to a new pattern, name it so you know it's an event for something and then go to the knob you want to automate and right click it and click edit events. Then edit the automation to your liking... when finished just place the pattern where in the playlist you want the automation to be triggered and it should work. Note: not putting automation all by itself is generally a bad practice because it sometimes won't work the way you want it to and stuff.

:o

Shadow, you rule. :)

Okay, i've been using FL approximataly four months now, in the beginning i continued my ways that i had with mtv music generator, each pattern in FL was basically one element (Pattern 1 = Kick drumm, Pattern 2 = Snare, Pattern 3 = Hi-hat, etc. throughout)

Now, for my last two songs I've had it where Pattern 1 has all instruments playing for the first four beats, Pattern 2 for the next four beats, etc.

For the last two songs, I save it, it's fine, but when I go to load it FL either freezes, or just doesn't load everything (instruments missing in FL playback, etc.)

What can I do about this so I can edit my songs...

P.S. I also, for the past two songs i've had this problem with, used practically nothing but soundfonts (approx. 15-> 20 or so), could this be the source of the problem?

No, it's not a demo, i've used soundfonts before, and i've saved with soundfonts before.... i've been through that problem.... :oops:

okay, so i d/led it off of kazaa, fucking sue me (shit u can! :? ) but still, it's not like it made FL loose money, i wasn't planning on paying, so either way they weren't gonna get a cent out of me.... and besides, i'm not the first to have done it, so don't put it all on me (and spare me, don't say crap like, "yeah well you tolerate it" or "you didn't help by doing this")

I have this problem where I start up Fruity Loops, but no song is remixed. I have a song in mind, but it does not appear in the workarea when I start up the program. This bothers me. :P

Seriously though... I have fooled around with Fruity Loops for a few days now, but still have no clue what to do as far as getting just the sequence from the song I want to mix. I have played along with the song in the keyboard display in the Plugin Properties for a channel I added with crappy FL synths, but I want to get the sequence saved, using better soundfonts preferrably. I need direction! :)

Ok, I've been looking at the presets for the 3xOsc, the TS404, and the SimSynth and fiddling with them for a few hours. I want to make a very gritty, low-end accompanyment buzz. Like DJ Pretzel used in Bomberfuzz to accompany the bass noise. I have no working kybard right now. I either need some preset file, if they are mass distributed, or help on what the OSC, SVF, etc can be used for. Thanks

Thanks a lot! That really helps.

I have to play around with it to really understand how to work with it, but

thanks!

Okay, i've been using FL approximataly four months now, in the beginning i continued my ways that i had with mtv music generator, each pattern in FL was basically one element (Pattern 1 = Kick drumm, Pattern 2 = Snare, Pattern 3 = Hi-hat, etc. throughout)

Now, for my last two songs I've had it where Pattern 1 has all instruments playing for the first four beats, Pattern 2 for the next four beats, etc.

For the last two songs, I save it, it's fine, but when I go to load it FL either freezes, or just doesn't load everything (instruments missing in FL playback, etc.)

What can I do about this so I can edit my songs...

P.S. I also, for the past two songs i've had this problem with, used practically nothing but soundfonts (approx. 15-> 20 or so), could this be the source of the problem?