OCRA-0009 - Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream

zircon

This album is definitely amazing. I especially love Pot Hocket's acoustic tracks. Very nice.

I only have two major gripes about the album. One is too much techno/electronica. For originally being an orchestra-based score, turning some of these songs into those genres just doesn't sound right.

And the other, of course, is Black Wing Metamorphosis, the remake of One Winged Angel. It's an alright song, but not only were the vocals off (From what I can hear, they messed up the "Estuans interius, ira vehementi" and completely missed the "Sors immanis, et inannis". The rhythm for the vocals isn't very fluid either.) but the guitar solo they have is at the very end, for something like 19 seconds. If you're going to try and go for Advent: One Winged Angel, try something a bit longer.

You guys said it took more than a year to put all this together... it definitely shows.

While I don't necessarily like each track in relation to the original, each song on it's own is wonderful. There were many songs that I had difficulty hearing or feeling the original song, or only caught it for a brief window out of the whole piece, but I think what was more important was that I could clearly see the remixer's interpretation and personality in all of them. Even the tracks that I didn't like from the original game or the ones that fell into genres that I don't particularly care for I could still appreciate the emotions and quality from the composers.

In retrospect, the only things I didn't enjoy as much were that I do agree there were a few too many techno tracks, and also, it seems like almost every song has a really long intro which cut the songs down quite a bit. Some of the songs were only 3 minutes long to begin with, so with a 1 minute intro of beats before we actually heard the original theme made a lot of them too short to truly enjoy and left me wanting more.

It's hard to pick a favorite, though the vocals were superb, and Deliverance of the Heart was an obvious good choice as the first track in the set. Kudos to everyone on their hard work - it was well worth the effort.

Alright, put a few more listens into everything and I definitely give this a thumbs up. Not every track is a runaway success and despite what Taucer says, not every song is an instant hardon (then again, it's kinda easy to give him a boner............. don't ask.), but the majority of these tracks are total winners and MAJOR props to Zirc for putting it all together and all the mixers for doing a great job.

This is 100% Joe Cam Approved, and that means absolutely nothing!

In general the whole collection is good, but the third part, advent, had many tracks I didn't even want to listen to the end. Didn't like many of the tracks in that part.

ed: I guess part of the reason for this is that I don't think I've ever heard a good Chocobo remix, and these chocobo songs make no exception. And the Gold Saucer songs isn't a good target for remixing either.

My first post since Kong in Concert. :)

Just 2 things. First, nice work guys, I'm in the process of listening to it, but at first listen some tracks are really inspired. Amazing to see that some people I discovered as Kong in Concert performers are still here, alive & kicking, and arein the process of making their passion a job. :)

Second, as I received a mail from the OCR admins to pass the word on this work, well, I wanted to let you know that Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream is on MusicBrainz (but I should reckon, mostly thanks to Grungi Ankhfire).

keh, it's all my favorite artists in one convenient project! (I'm sure none of my friends who listen to "real people music" can say the same.) A lot of these tracks give me shivers, they're so good.

You guys rock my knee socks. (and now I wish there were OCR swag knee socks)

It's the middle of the night and there's 1200+ seeds. This is awesome!

*burns*

WOW OCremix! You have done it again! I love you for your hard work and effort and thank you for time and time again proving that Video Game Music is one of the most brilliant forms of artistic expression on Earth!

Thank you original VGM composers and thank you OC remix workers and remixers who make lovely projects such as these possible!

It's interesting to see how many people are nothing but positive to this album. I can sum up my feelings for it so far in one word.

Bland.

Granted, I haven't listen through the whole thing yet, but halfway into disc 4 I can say that no track so far has really leapt out and grabbed me. I'm sure this album would work okay in a club, as background music, but it's definitely not something I would actually sit down and listen to by my lonesome.

He he, what timing, you had to release you project the same day I released mine, an alternative OST to Wii's Excite Truck.

Im only writing now, because I have only finished listening to the 4 CDs a few minutes ago, it is truly amazing work from everyone, and since im a big Zircon fan, it was pure melodic heaven for me.

Congratulations, you are truly an inspiration to us all. I somehow feel old, since I've been a regular OCR visitor ever since version 1 and looking back at all those gigabytes of MP3 I have downloaded in all these years from you and for free, truly makes me grateful.

Thank you all.

v ^_^

PS: Electro Truck EX thread

Quick Question: Disc 4 Track 2 - Collision. Is this meant to be a tribute to David Crowder Band? Because it's VERY VERY similar to the song 'Do Not Move' from the album... 'A Collision'. Far too similar to be a coincidence ;)

Gotta check. If you could send me a copy of the song (I'm assuming you have it on you), we'd appreciate it. Thanks for the heads-up. When this was subbed to the panel, no mention was made of that influence, i.e. it clearly should have been mentioned.

I'm really glad you like Golden Feathers! :D

It was my first remix I ever made with a computer. Before (three years ago) I did some really bad piano arrangements but that's the first song of my new start. Thank you very much :)

You're welcome. Anybody who can make me not want to spam the button to get back into the race deserves credit. :-)

In general the whole collection is good, but the third part, advent, had many tracks I didn't even want to listen to the end. Didn't like many of the tracks in that part.

ed: I guess part of the reason for this is that I don't think I've ever heard a good Chocobo remix, and these chocobo songs make no exception. And the Gold Saucer songs isn't a good target for remixing either.

I find this kind of funny, as I enjoyed the third disc the most.

I think this thread illustrates how enjoyable the project was to most though, despite the range of musical tastes. I haven't seen one legitimate critique yet, which is saying something.

for most of the naysayers who are less than pleased with the final product, i suspect that there is something that is contributing to that feel:

overload.

unless i made a mistake somewhere in winamp, it shows that the mp3s add up to 3 hours, 20 minutes, and 27 seconds.

that's a metric assload of music.

difficult to feel objective or sometimes even excited about a music pack that lasts longer without repeat than two full length movies (or one extended lord of the rings movie (or what most george w. bush presidential speeches feel like (oh snap, i went political))).

it's very easily understandable why there are some folks who aren't as excited about it. especially considering there are a wide variety of musical tastes catered to in the pack and not everyone likes all of those musical tastes (for example, i don't have robot ears). it's one of those things where, once the dust settles, people will have their favorites which will get added to their playlists and the rest will be left alone to others who will completely shun the first groups people of selected songs and add the rest to their play lists and so forth and so on.

variety is the spice of life. this pack is an entire spice rack. and not everyone likes curry (heathens. how can you not like curry?).

-= george =-

Since I have two extra computers hooked up to our cable internet and using torrents kills my mom's connection, I had to go to the singles page and download from there. I got the following:

1. Fight On! (Simply amazing! The contrast and the techno and the beat! MUCH love!)

2. Crazy Motorcycle. (I never giggled so hard. The way the song was done, it's INCREDIBLE! I love it!)

3. Racing Chocobos - Place your Bets! (It flows so smoothly and cheerfully! I could head nod to this all day!)

4. Electric de Chocobo - (Huge fan of the cute birds now and forever and this song is great! My toes were tapping away happily as I giggled.)

5. One-Winged Angel - (Whoever said this was ruined was so wrong. Oh my gosh, if this song was candy, I'd devour it in seconds. Yummy, yummy goodness.)

Overall: I downloaded ONLY 5 songs and can't believe it. An old game company once said their games go to 11. The DJs at OCremix go to the Infinite Universe and past it. Keep up the great work!

When my mom gets off her computer, I'll help seed!

i agree with you on that one, Lotd2242. all the artists who work on this project should be paid in full credit where it's due. i mean i'm always a fan of OverClocked Remix fer a number of years and i've heard alot of remixes from that site and i gotta say the ones i think are the best are on this project.

although i've heard many other porjects in the past (and if i had a favourite outta those it'd be Chrono Symphony because of the way it's orchestrated.

one thing to note about Final Fantasy VII Voices of the Lifestream however , and i've onlyheard the first 13 tracks of it, is that there are a good number of elements and styles that really blend in well. and for the orchestrated tracks like Jeremy's entry in the project, "Valse Aeris", most of the time pieces like those tend not to bother with the orchestral sense of balance for the most part. indeed outta the tracks i've hard so far, the one that almost put me to tears is Darangen's Kweh! arrangement of the Chocobo Theme. sounded just as cute as the one composed fer Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales DS.

nice hard rock coming in from norg and SnappleMan with their Full Frontal Assault arrangement of Fighting! Nobuo Uematsu did his first Rock score with Otherworld fer Final Fantasy X and since then he's made the idea to arrange past Final Fantasy scores in the Rock/Instrumental element and norg and SnappleMan paid a great tribute to that idea with Full Frontal Assault. nice job you two. Jeremy Robson produces some amazing orchestration. i wonder though if Mr. Robson got an actual Symphony Orchestra to record that Valse Aeris track or was it actually synthesized to SOUND like an acutal orchestra? anyway his previous arrangements are beautifully orchestrated and Valse Aeris is an entry that's sure to add to his masterpiece.

overall the project really stood out fantastically. 45 Tracks, 4 Discs, 3h:26m:25s total playing time, i'm sure anyone who has witnessed the original score would appreciate the sheer brilliance of this project. Andrew Averser, Mr. zircon, what you did was an absolutely astounding job of coming up with the idea for this project. to all of the artists who contributed to the project, i take my hat off to you. David W. Lloyd, Mr. djpretzel, if you really don't mind me asking what sorta tools or software did you use to create the cover art fer the album? those images look professionally crisp and well done. nice job on the homepage too.

to the entire team excellent job.

Well, it's already been said a million times and it will continue to be said, but you all did an amazing job. I didn't say "OMG AWESOME" for every track, but the overall quality and scope of this album far surpases any other project I've listened to from this website. There is a lot of techno and electronica, and that doesn't bother me in the least, but even if you don't like that, there are a couple gems of acoustic and orchestral tracks in the collection, too. Still haven't gotten to listen to the 4th disk, but I assume that it's not going to be so amazingly awful that it ruins the entire poject for me, so I look foward to it.

I started downloading the torrent the night it came out on my old school bit torrnado torrent (and I realized the moment I saw the 2 Gig size that I wasn't going to be burning the music that night.) So, now I have everything (Wav's, MP3's, Album art, etc,) and I've been seeding ever-since.