OC ReMix Announces FF VII: Voices of the Lifestream Music Video Competition

djpretzel

OC ReMix Announces Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream Music Video Competition

For Immediate Release

October 4, 2007

FAIRFAX, VA--OverClocked ReMix today announced a music video competition related to the recently released Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream project (http://ff7.ocremix.org). This is the first official competition held by OC ReMix. Partnering with Piano Squall (www.pianosquall.com), and eStarland (www.estarland.com), prizes include signed limited edition promotional copies of Voices of the Lifestream, signed copies of Piano Squall's album GAME: Game & Anime Music Emotions, Final Fantasy VII merchandise, and OverClocked ReMix shirts & hoodies. Additional prizes may be announced during the course of the competition.

There are three different categories for music video submissions, and each category will have prizes for the winner and runner-up. Submissions will be evaluated by the OverClocked ReMix Judges Panel and djpretzel. Winners will be credited on the VotL website and have their submissions shown at Otakon and other anime and gaming conventions that OC ReMix attends. The deadline for all entries is December 14th, 2007; details and rules for each competition are below.

Prizes (as of 2007-10-03):

• Winners
    • Limited edition promotional copy of Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream
    • Signed copy of Piano Squall's album GAME: Game & Anime Music Emotions
    • Choice of OverClocked ReMix shirt or hoodie
    • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children action figure
    • Credit on http://ff7.ocremix.org and presentation of video on OC ReMix convention panels

[*] Runners-up

• Limited edition promotional copy of Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream
    • OverClocked ReMix shirt
    • Credit on http://ff7.ocremix.org and presentation of video on OC ReMix convention panels

Final Fantasy VII Category

This contest involves creating a music video for any track from Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream using footage from Advent Children (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385700/), Last Order (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489134/), and/or the Final Fantasy VII, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII video games.

Anime Category

This contest involves creating a music video for any track from Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream using footage from any anime. However, to distinguish from the FF7 category, please do not utilize footage from Advent Children or Last Order.

Original Category

This contest involves creating a music video for any track from Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream using only footage that you yourself create. It can be live-action, 2D or 3D animation, rendered from Flash, etc., but it needs to be your own creation, and cannot incorporate substantial outside sources.

Rules

1. The deadline for all entries is December 14th, 2007.
  2. All submissions are made under the terms of the OverClocked ReMix Content Policy, available at http://www.ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy. Please read it before submitting.
  3. You may only enter one submission for each category.
  4. In the case of submissions that involved collaboration, you must designate a single point of contact for the prizes and coordinate amongst yourselves who receives what.
  5. Only one song from Voices of the Lifestream should be used per video, no other music should be present, and the video should not exceed the length of the song selected.
  6. Content should generally be "PG-13", avoiding nudity, profanity, or extreme violence.
  7. Video should be in HQ AVI DivX, XvID, H264, or MPEG2 formats, at a resolution of 720x480, with a 23.97 or 24 fps (progressive) or 29.97 fps (interlaced) framerate, with uncompressed 44.1khz stereo audio. Please utilize the WAV versions of VotL tracks (available via bittorent at http://bt.ocremix.org), not the MP3s, when creating your music video(s).
  8. For the FFVII and anime categories, please try to follow common Anime Music Video contest guidelines, available on the websites of most major anime conventions. We want submissions in these categories to be submitted to as many different AMV contests as possible.
  9. Do not utilize low-quality footage or footage with subtitles burned-in.
  10. Do not include credits, bumpers, trailers, or other material in your video, only the actual submission content.
  11. You may choose to post your video(s) on YouTube, etc., before/after submission, so long as the OverClocked ReMix Content Policy is followed.

Submitting

Include the name you want the video(s) credited to, your contact information (website, email), the name of your video(s), all sources (anime, games, movies, etc.) utilized in your video(s), and any additional information you feel is relevant with your submission, whether via email or physical mail.

Email (preferred):

Send an email titled "FF7 Music Video Competition Entry" with a link to your video(s) to submissions@ocremix.org. Do NOT attempt to attach the video itself, or any form of preview. Make sure that the link still functions on Dec. 14th and for as many days after as possible if you submit before the deadline.

Physical Mail:

Send a CD-R or DVD-R only (no tapes!) to:

OverClocked ReMix

PO Box 223104

Chantilly, VA 20153

Postmarked on or before the Dec. 14th deadline. All physical materials submitted to OverClocked ReMix become the property of OverClocked ReMix and will not be returned.

Updates

Updated information and answers to questions regarding this competition will be available on an announcement thread at OverClocked ReMix (http://www.ocremix.org) - please check it often as prizes may be added or rules clarified. Winners will be announced before the end of the year, with the specific date dependent on the number of submissions received.

Good luck!

JJT's song really randomly inspired like a sort of rainy urban environment for me. Imagine like someone walking down the streets of Berkeley while it is drizzling.

Not something to create a submission for, but obviously a sign that these songs do inspire things that you could never imagine ever thinking of. I know you guys will make some awesome stuff. Take a chance and listen to every song on this. You will be amazed by what your imagination creates!

Good luck guys!

If questions are asked elsewhere that are pertinent to everyone participating, I'll try to update this thread as well. For example:

sweet, it's ocremix ;P

I just might do this, but we'll see.

Edit: if we find a track too long, can we shorten it [tastefully of course] for the video?

Yes, but we'd like videos to be at least two minutes, and only include one song from VotL (no medleys)... that being said, if you want to use one of the songs that runs a little long and cut it (tastefully, as you say) earlier, that's acceptable.

Hmmm...

What about modded versions of FF7 for vidcaps? Because people have been making and swapping higher-detailed models for the PC version of the game, almost to the point where it's almost not recognizable (Swapping in models from Kingdom Hearts, for example). Would that cause a problem? What about using scene editors to make custom scenes?

I've made AMVs before but only from pre-existing footage I found on the net. But this time, I do have the Advent Children movie and was wondering what program (free that is) I could use that could rip scenes from the Advent Children DVD so I could make this AMV I have cooking in my head. Any help would be appreciated.

I've made AMVs before but only from pre-existing footage I found on the net. But this time, I do have the Advent Children movie and was wondering what program (free that is) I could use that could rip scenes from the Advent Children DVD so I could make this AMV I have cooking in my head. Any help would be appreciated.

You could try our help forum, but honestly, we're not the best resource for this sort of thing, and asking around on AMV forums or using Google would probably yield better results.

1. Can 2+ people collaborate on a single video?

2. Although I have AC and FFVII, can you recommend resources for getting Last Order, DoC, etc.? I do not own copies of these media.

1. Absolutely, though you'll need to figure out how to split the prizes amongst yourselves, should you win :)

2. Last Order is available on the Japanese Advent Children DVD and probably... elsewhere. AMV forums or googling might be more beneficial; for obvious reasons, we can't just post links or host it ourselves. It's pretty cool, btw - I've seen it.

Hmmm...

What about modded versions of FF7 for vidcaps? Because people have been making and swapping higher-detailed models for the PC version of the game, almost to the point where it's almost not recognizable (Swapping in models from Kingdom Hearts, for example). Would that cause a problem? What about using scene editors to make custom scenes?

If it wasn't in one of the actual games, then its use should be minimal. 90% or more of the FF7 category needs to be verbatim material from those sources. If you want to create what sounds like machinima, which is cool, you might consider the original category, which allows for pretty much anything. I hadn't thought of machinima for that, but it'd certainly be allowed.

2. Last Order is available on the Japanese Advent Children DVD and probably... elsewhere. AMV forums or googling might be more beneficial; for obvious reasons, we can't just post links or host it ourselves. It's pretty cool, btw - I've seen it.

Given, then, that we're subject to Internet availability of the source, will you be more lax about quality captures from these sources?

If it wasn't in one of the actual games, then its use should be minimal. 90% or more of the FF7 category needs to be verbatim material from those sources. If you want to create what sounds like machinima, which is cool, you might consider the original category, which allows for pretty much anything. I hadn't thought of machinima for that, but it'd certainly be allowed.

What he's referring to isn't quite Machinima. Qhimm forums is host to a number of FFVII patches (somewhere). The one in question is actually called Battle --> Field converter. It swaps out the Legolike field models for the more realistic models used on battle screens. This obviously applies to the entire playable cast, but it's also true for any character whom you happen to fight in battle: Sephiroth, Rufus, Shinra soldiers, the Turks, Palmer and Jenova Absolute to name a few. I was bowled over when I first used it.

The NPC reconstruction project is working on creating models to replace the rest of the Lego field models.

EDIT: Here it is.

Man this is awesome. I'm not really into making anime music videos at all, but I'll jump at any chance to edit/shoot some footage of anything. Cool. I'd like it if the entries or at least links to the entries could be posted in a seperate thread. I'm interested to see what kinds of videos will be posted, hopefully some high quality stuff will surface. I'll get started on mine in a month or so, after uni exams. Wooh!

Oh shi~, I should check this forum more often. I'll try to get something done for this if I have time. And you do have permission to post my alt album art, btw.

Peace.

Yeah, I'm definitely in. Did some brainstorming, quite excited. Just need to decide between Deliverance or Crossroads. :)

Anyone know of good sources for high-quality, non-watermarked rips of the cinematics from the games? I'm guessing this is a dubious legal area, so if it's not okay to discuss on the forum that's cool. PMs would be appreciated though. :P

Been a big fan of this site for a long time, but this competition finally inspired me to register on the forums! I've got a good anime idea in mind, but also a couple others... so I have a question. What about music videos that aren't original footage of our own, not FF7, and not anime either? As in, something from a live-action movie or TV show? Is that not allowed?

Im suprised this thread hasn't generated more interest....

Anyway to mijae, I'm guessing (as its outlined in the rules) that we can't use footage from moives, tv etc, otherwise this would be just another generic music video contest. I like the rules, makes ideas a little less free, yes, however working within the restrictions limits the....OH YEAH... total brainstorm!!!!! I know at least one idea i'm going to use for my music video.....ha. Sorry, sort of segued off topic very fast, but im sure you get my point.

Hopefully, everyone's busy working on their videos. I'm actually thinking of submitting to anime and FFVII category but I'm not sure if I'll make it in time. My current priority is the anime one. Although, I can always make a quick one for FFVII, actually have fun and all that, instead of religiously measuring every single cut. :D

Been a big fan of this site for a long time, but this competition finally inspired me to register on the forums! I've got a good anime idea in mind, but also a couple others... so I have a question. What about music videos that aren't original footage of our own, not FF7, and not anime either? As in, something from a live-action movie or TV show? Is that not allowed?

Correct, that's not allowed. For future competitions, or just for fun, that's something that could certainly yield interesting results, but for this particular competition, it would widen the scope too much, in my opinion.