OCR00860 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Crystalline Caverns"

orkybash

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 'Crystalline Caverns'

If you know McVaffe, then you know what you're getting here - well-programmed drums, crisp samples, great piano work, and though it's maybe a tad on the repetitive side (*gasp! He criticized McV! Can he DO that!?*), it's so good that you don't mind the repetition! If you don't know McVaffe, then I recommend you listen to his stuff IMMEDIATELY, and this remix would be a great place to start!

Everything flowed smoothly from start to end. Nothing stands out, but that leaves everything to blend together carefully. I thought the original version of this song was okay, even though it got on my nerves after being stuck in a cave level for a few minutes. This is by far an improvement.

I don't have a McVaffe remix I don't like. I even love all of his original work - he has inspired me to go out and start trying to create some of my own remixes. I also have to agree on this new remix - the piano could have been turned into a solo, but the remix is a lot smoother without it. I think he wanted to keep the piece more mellow than some of his others (keep with the idea of a cavern perhaps?). Another 5-star remix in any case.

Sir Vaffe is a genius.

I've never really been a huge fan of some--a lot of McVaffe's remixes. They were often too bland, though still well crafted.

I think McVaffe has an excellent idea here. Nice, mellow, and the tune is recognizable. Definately some great work here. Very nice composition. Nothing here really falls our of place. Incredibly well crafted, and very well made. Highly recommended for anyone looking for some more mellow tracks.

First off, I'll say that ambient trance-y songs are my favorite to listen to. This remix conveys a wonderful atmosphere, and you can almost feel the chilly wind coming through the massive cavern you've been stuck in for nearly 10 minutes now. You'd smack Yoshi, but this chill tune is playing in your head, and you just want to relax. McV truly invented the time warp with this song. You listen to it, and then it's over. Five minutes worth of chilling in seemingly a minute's length of time. I only typed up to the previous sentence of this review in the time I listened to that song. This is great stuff, well arranged, impeccable production. Must listen. I command you. Become a follower of McV! Not really, but this comes HIGHLY recommended.

Wow! Another great remix by MvVaffe! Again, the repetition is barely noticeable, and the pacing is great throughout. Great sound quality and nothing that hurts the ears.. Which is a HUGE PLUS.

HOWEVER, This remix sounds almost too different from the original cave music... That's the biggest gripe I have about this remix. It doesn't really feel like a remix at all. Anyways, the music itself is great! Good job!

I've never played this game and I've never heard this tune before, but this mp3 is probably gonna be moved from my "game remixes" folder to one of my electronic music folders! It's so great, it can totally stand by itself without the listener knowing the original song. I think that's what a remix is about.

Just about everything has been said about this song. My favorite part is the stuttered piano and the whole section around 2:20. Very cool. Very chill. Very good stuff. I'm going to go check out his original stuff now.

the unbiased reviewer gives this selection a 9.5/10.

i was curious how someone could take the cave theme of yoshi's island and turn it into a good remix. some songs are harder to turn into remixes than others. this surprised me with its level of deph. its nice to here something other than techno but its good that the piano was accompanied by drums. this remix serves its justice.

(*gasp! He criticized McV! Can he DO that!?*

NO! YOU CAN'T!

This is going to be another classic in my WMP MP3 collection. Joining the ranks of DJP and FG's mix of Starfox - Clan McCloud, DJP's Pachelbel's Gannon, and... several others that i've forgotten, because WMP is so cheap, it plays the same 7 "random" songs over and over, and never gets to the good ones. *sigh*... i gotta get a GOOD MP3 player...

Very nice stuff from McVaffe

McVaffe = Remix God

Download this now!

In a nutshell.

The repetition doesn't bother me, and I hardly notice it because I use WMP to repeat all the songs I play. I quite like the piano and drums, and the original tune is still recognizable although I admit, it took me a couple listens to pick it out from the composed parts. The ambience is well-done here, and I'm a big fan of ambience pieces. This is definitely worth waiting for the download time.

I love this site. I really do. PRAISE OCR! *brutally sacrifices a thousand "hit" bands for continued patronage* Without it, I could never have heard such mind blowingly good music. Its almost orgasmic. I wish I could loop it so it would last forever, but then I wouldn't get to hear ProtoVaffe, which is just as good. I like most of the OCRs, but Vaffe always manage to blow me away. Why, I could go on for pages and pages about how goooooo....

*unable to finish reply because he's fallen into a pleasant haze listening to this*

McV remixed my favorite theme from my favorite SNES platform game, so I'm automatically a little biased toward it. I love the trip-hop drum feel to it with that beautiful piano sound that defines him. I was letting one of my friends listen to this mix and he said, "This sounds like Linkin Park", and we got into this big discussion of how Linkin Park is really just videogame music given lyrics. I didn't notice at first, but this remix does make me wonder if my friend wasn't right.

Download now in case you haven't already!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00860 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Crystalline Caverns"