OCR00888 - Super Mario World "Super Mario's Sleigh Ride"

DarkCecil13

Super Mario World 'Super Mario's Sleigh Ride'

Sorry about not getting to the late Christmas Eve mixes earlier :) I've been with my family and playing with all of my new stuff. Now, to the ReMix - What can I say? It's just some REALLY well done live video game music action :) It's really fun to listen to to. The OneUp Mushrooms cover several Super Mario World tunes here. It's a must download :) Super highly recommended. I respect these guys a whole lot. I've always dreamed of playing live video game music with some buds, and these guys fulfilled my dream, but for themselves. It's all worth it, though!

This remix is so hot, i love it love it love it. I like how they found the similarities with the game and the real xmas music. And they play so well, you almost think its not a game remix anymore, but a XMAS remix hehe :)

But then thats the problem. Xmas remixs get less play time when the holiday season is gone. I wonder if it will be true for this medley. So far, I doubt it.

This is a great jazz piece. I adore this ReMix, and even a couple of my friends who don't normally listen to game music found interest. The themes are so well integrated, you would think the Christmas carols are supposed to sound like Mario themes and vice versa. I also would like to note their very smooth playing. This is definitely one of my favourites and worth the download time.

I never even saw the similarity, but after listening to this mix, I can't help but wonder if Koji Kondo was thinking Christmas when he wrote his stuff. I mean, it isn't just the different sections of the song playing that blend nicely, but the best is when a part of a SMW song will actually play harmony to a Christmas song. Crazy, I tell you.

I don't know why, but for some odd reasons unknown, this song wouldn't download over the past few days. :evil: It finally downloaded today, and now I'm happy. :)

This song is pretty interesting. When the song's description mentioned it was for Christmas, I was expecting a calm, ambient "jingly-bells" kind of song (like the DKC ReMix ChristmasCave or something like that). Instead, it seemed a little more like Spring time than it was Winter. It was faster with a more jazz/orchestral-type of attitude and beat, and hardly any bell sounds whatsoever. It kinda let my hopes down a bit, but this song is still pretty fun to listen to. I also like the way the Christmas carols blend in almost-so-perfectly with the ReMix. Very clever.

wee! I likey!!!

I love how the SMB theme was used so well as the underpinnings of the song. You could hear it the whole time. Juggle some sliders in a good sound program and try to blout out the trumpet. It's there the WHOLE time. I love it!!! :-P Can't wait for Xmas :-P

Gawrsh.

I'm just amazed at the way this ReMix manages to combine christmas music and Mario music. It's almost insane. I'm sure that if I'd never heard any Super Mario music before I would not notice that half the music in this ReMix came from a game.

What I loved the most was when the SMW music came on as a base beat and the Sleigh Ride (?) music, then Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, then Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire and another one I didn't know... Actually, I also loved the bits where christmas songs would be used as 'verses' of a kind, and Mario music would be used as a sort of chorus. Also... heck, I just loved the whole thing.

I could not think of a more innovative way to celebrate christmas. The sheer talent in this group and the incredible way this ReMix sounds are more than enough to thrust them into my watch-for-future-ReMixes list.

Update: I checked their website and it says they've done Axelay - City Lights. Does that mean they've done a cover of it? I loved that ReMix. :)

Although I thought that the jingle bells medley for an ending didn't flow as well as the rest of the piece, I otherwise thought that this piece was magnificent. Besides the brilliant melody integration of both seasonal and game themes,(which has already been mentioned, I believe,) :D I love the way the trumpet and sax alternate in leading the melody. Extremely musical, and incredibly enjoyable to listen to over and over and over and over and... you get the idea...

Great Job! :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. Great job as always. Recomended + 2. I have always loved your guys' stuff (with exception of *ahem*...one mishapp *coughTheLegendofZelda2002cough*)...... :lol: . Excelent stuff. Greatly intergraded. Lots of little things thrown in there to keep it interesting. Now, as a trumpet player, i noticed a problem. When you record trumpets right up to the mic, they sound very loud, blant, and open. This is not a problem with the mic! When you record farther away, the sound matures alot more, making it sound brighter, fuller, and not as 'bleh'. Great trumpet playing, but i wish you had recorded farther away. Beside recording issues (note, this ain't against you at all), Great playing! Great Piano stuffs, I have tried getting the Game Over theme down on piano, and thats hard to lay back on. Kudo's there. Great Bass, not much to complain about there. Perc. is very tight. Sax was very nicely recorded, though it could have had a little more vibrato in other areas. Excelent Job guys.

~nex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm getting so attached to Dale's stuff as of late. This one piece made the most stupid grin appear on my face. How he blended the "Mario" theme in an out of "Sleigh Ride"... I couldn't have imagine this in a million years. This is a great tune and a surprise for christmas coming!! (though I'm extra late for this review) Man, this band is sweet!!

Wow, I was really impressed with this remix. It does such a great job mixing "Sleigh Ride" and the Super Mario World themes into one real smooth job. I mean, how many people could have successfully pulled of this remix? Heh, great christmas tune, guys. Just listening to it put a dumb grin on my face. Perhaps it was just the absurd combination. Anyways. Two thumbs up, definately recommended. Sweeeeeet! 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. This one was at the top of the charts, er, my playlist, for 4 months... along with some other songs by the One Up Mushrooms... I've wanted to buy a One Up Mushrooms album since I heard their Costa del Sol rendition on PMM. Keep it up and I can't wait Donut Lifts and Bossa Du Link full version.

The integration with the xmas songs was what kept it interesting so long, I think. Up until the jingle bells part the flow was perfect... and it was still close enough that it worked.

• 5 months later...

I'm listen to this while eating my breakfast and... *cough, cough, hack, choke, swallow* HOLY CRAP! This remix is sweet. Its got the christmas and a mario medley together. And me being a jazz lover, 1:21 is where I'm chillin to a nice smooth ride on santa's sleigh. I love the sound, i love the mix, i love the overall idea. I detect no problems here. 10/10

• 1 month later...

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

I was slightly confused, because I had just downloaded the torrent and found this in my playlist. Not knowing what to expect, I hit play. At 0:15, I burst out laughing and continued for quite a while :D . I never expected these two melodies mentioned in the same sentence, much less the same remix. I love the live instruments, especially the acoustic guitar. The main melodies of SMW are blended flawlessly with Sleigh Ride. A definite must download. Play it for your family at Christmas and see who can recognize the tune!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00888 - Super Mario World "Super Mario's Sleigh Ride"