Chiptune Recommendations?

1337 1

I've been looking at chiptunes of late, and I've been quite surprised with some of the music that you can find out there. Problem is all these games were clearly waaay before my time, so I've never heard of half the titles. That, and the fact that only a select few formats work on my comp :tomatoface:

I'm aiming at mostly SPC and NSF chiptunes; does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks :-P

I thought we were going to talk about chiptune artists like dubmood or maktone :(

Get HVSC :3

Also, there's some VGM [Genesis/Megadrive] music I think you would like.

Look here.

I recommend:

Decap Attack

Mega Turrican

Toejam & Earl 1 & 2

Rocket Knight Adventures

Castlevania Bloodlines

Mega Turrican

Contra Hard Corps

Kid Chameleon

Operation Europe

MUSHA

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

Vectorman 1 & 2

Zero Wing

I recommend:

Decap Attack

Mega Turrican

Toejam & Earl 1 & 2

Rocket Knight Adventures

Castlevania Bloodlines

Mega Turrican

Contra Hard Corps

Kid Chameleon

Operation Europe

MUSHA

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

Vectorman 1 & 2

Zero Wing

Excellent.

Along with all the obvious choices (all SOR, Sonic, Shinobi and Tecnosoft titles, etc.), I'll also add:

The Incredible Hulk

Rolling Thunder 2

Gaiares

Atomic Runner

Batman [sunsoft]

Trouble Shooter

Fantasm Soldier Valis

Valis III

If you're using Winamp, download Chipamp, available from here. Secondly, use the games link to browse the games to see if there's a chiptune available for it. It's as easy as that.

I know; I've been using chipamp for ages, but my old xp died, and vista hates HATES chipamp. I have no idea why. The main reason I asked is that I've been looking through the games and there's a few hundred/thousand of the damn things. I thought someone might have recommendations as to some good ones; and I was right: many thanks for your input; my media player is very happy now :-P

Kirby's Adventure, Mega Man 6, and Batman: Return of the Joker are some of my favorite NSFs.

I'd also like to recommend Live-A-Live for SNES, by Yoko Shimomura (composer of games like Legend of Mana, and Kingdom Hearts), and you can't listen to SPCs/RSNs without listening to Treasure Hunter G.

Hit up SNESMusic.org for SPCs/RSNs

Castlevania 3. Best OST on the NES. Make sure you get the japanese version as it had an extra soundchip that made the music sound better.

Honestly I think one or two of the songs sound better in the NES version than in Akumajou Densetsu because the percussion is slightly different and sometimes the extra channels swallow up the main theme of the song.

Almost all of them are deeper/richer in the VRC6 version, though. I'd recommend Madara for another good VRC6 soundtrack (and the SNES sequels have strong music, too.)

By the way, why has Zophar.net gone down several times lately?

IMHO, snesmusic.org is a much better source for chiptunes (what systems they have, that is).

As for chiptunes themselves, you might try the ones below. I'll note an asterick along the most stellar.

NSF (NES):

* Mega Man 2, 3, 5

Wily & Right no Rockboard

Blaster Master

* 8 Eyes

Contra

Darkwing Duck

* Final Fight 3

Mighty Final Fight

Adventures of Lolo 1

Life Force (Salamander)

* Kirby's Adventure

Kid Icarus

Mother

Dragon Quest 1-4 (Dragon Warrior)

River City Ransom

Super Mario Bros. 1-3 (duh!)

* Snow Bros

Tetris

* Parareru World (Parallel World)

Time Zone

* Xexyz

Adventures in the Magic Kingdom

Zoids Mokushiroku

Zoids 2 - Zenebasu no Gyakushuu

GBS (Game Boy / GBC):

Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons / Ages

* Mega Man I, V

* Shantae

* Super Mario Land

Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coins

* Gradius: The Interstellar Assault

* Kirby's Dreamland 1 & 2

SPC (SNES):

Mega Man X

* Mega Man 7

* Rockman & Forte

* Act Raiser

* Spider-man & Venom in Maximum Carnage

* Super Street Fighter II

* Super Metroid (Metroid 3)

Super Bomberman 2

Super Off-Road

* Castlevania - Dracula X

* Chrono Trigger

* Uniracers

* Breath of Fire 2

Aero the Acrobat

* Double Dragon V

Dragon Quest III

* Final Fantasy V

* The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Vortex

Killer Instinct

Area 88 (UN Squadron)

Super Mario RPG

* Super Mario World 1 & 2

Raiden Trad

Pop'n Twinbee

* Spanky's Quest (aka Hansei Zarujirou Kun no Daibouken)

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

VGM (Genesis, Game Gear, SMS):

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Gen)

* Contra Hardcorps (Gen)

GSF (Game Boy Advance):

* Metroid Zero Mission

Metroid Fusion

Tetsuwan Atom: Atom Heart no Himitsu (Astro Boy: The Omega Factor)

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

I forgot! one more Genesis soundtrack, and this is important!

Socket !!!

it is kind of an underdog. The game was kind of like a mixture between Sonic and Mario, as there are fast parts, and tricky platforming parts, and you control a duck who travels through time and has a power cord coming out of his butt 8) Great music by Fumito Tamayama [who also did Decap Attack]

.gym is obsolete. Use .vgm which now supports Genesis/MegaDrive as well. Better quality, better bells/whistles, better butter.

Whoops. *goes back and fixes* Sorry. Old habits die hard.

Yeah. GYM's pretty obsolete. I do wish Zophar would get with the times. Which reminds me, is there a good non-torrent Genesis VGM site? My comp/service isn't very torrent-friendly (and attempts to make it so always meet with disaster). I know about SMS Power, but that's SMS/GG only.

X, I've been linking to Project2612 constantly in this thread. There's already more VGM files than there were ever GYMs for in the past hosted there. Hell, they even have Operation Europe on there.

Sorry. I thought 2612 was torrent-only. The first time I saw the site I noticed the words "torrent section" and ran like the wind. My bad. Now I know better. Thanks.

Sorry. I thought 2612 was torrent-only. The first time I saw the site I noticed the words "torrent section" and ran like the wind. My bad. Now I know better. Thanks.

The irony there is, unless I'm missing something, you can't get anything through the torrent. You'd think they'd seed their own content. Maybe they did before, and gave up?