acoustic-guitar live-recording solo

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 djpretzel

• Administrators
  • 8,859 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia, USA

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:22 PM

What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.

#2 wormguy

Cammy (+850)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 866 posts
  • LocationDefinitely NOT at the computer

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

I enjoyed this Remix thoroughly. The author obviously knew what he was doing, the original melody was correct down to the last note,and the improvisation is near perfect. Not the most interpretive or daring remix, but as the mighty TO said, the charm is all there. Definitely recommended. Of course, if you have something against acoustic guitars, don't even bother listening.
Posted Image
^Thanks to Monday for the awesome-tastic sig.

#3 ILLiterate

Chrono (+3000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,615 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo,CA

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

Makes me happy, now I feel like skipping in flowers

Only small problem I see bothering people is how the first half if pretty much source material, but I'm no remix nazi so this doesn't bother me at all

Posted Image
Blog/Site -ThaSauce - Nice Job Coop

#4 DJ Skratch 'n' Sniff

DJ Skratch 'n' Sniff

Alex Kidd (+200)

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:44 PM

I was skeptical... am not anymore.

If he's truly using a plain old steel string guitar, I am even further impressed. Very cool sounding.

I could've gone with some light paradiddles or something further through the tune but, hey, that's just me.

Luigi (+750)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:34 AM

I liked it quite a bit. However, I would have loved it if it was not quite so bland. Mabye some more instruments.
Posted Image

#6 Nateconq

King Hippo (+15)

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationEvansville, IN

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:45 AM

Great, relaxing remix. Love the acoustic guitar!

#7 lady zelda

lady zelda

Cammy (+850)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationYouTube

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:23 AM

I really love the laid-back atmosphere of this mix. Great for chilling out. Some amazing acoustic guitar going there with some true skill. The improvisation is truly genius (I'm always blown away by those). Wonderful. Keep it up!
Posted Image
Sig by TriforceStealer
YouTube - Lady Game Lyric Twitter Facebook

#8 zircon

Balance and Ruin Director, Voices of the Lifestream Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,008 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:40 AM

This is a really great track that I enjoyed quite a bit. One thing that endears it to me is that it's very similar stylistically to the kind of music that the television show MONK tends to play throughout the shows. Anyone who has watched it will know what I'm talking about. You could seriously sub this in for the old theme song (written by Jeff Beal) and it would fit perfectly.
Original albums, tutorials, videos, free music at zirconMusic

Kontakt samples for composers & remixers: Impact Soundworks

My music gear recommendations for $99 or less!

twitter | facebook | youtube

#9 GregCaldwell

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:41 AM

Very easy and pleasing to listen to, my favorite remix of this theme so far.

#10 watkinzez

Chrono (+3000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,569 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast NSW Australia

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:22 AM

Posted exactly four years after Estradasphere's take on the theme. Nice.

Charm really is the word here. Not abstract enough that I'd call it gypsy, but really well played. It's interesting how this mix does indeed have similar structure to SuperBuckJazz, following through the source and then doing their own solo. When played side by side they feed off each other. Fun.

#11 Less Ashamed Of Self

Less Ashamed Of Self

Bayonetta (+6000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:45 AM

I'm a fan of all things accoustic hitting this site and this is above and beyond what I originally expected. When it hit the ending I had to exclaim: "FREAKING right man!" and lunged for a re-play. A welcome addition to OCR.

#12 meccaneer

Alex Kidd (+200)

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX, USA

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:00 PM

Thanks to Adrian for not sucking at guitar (I am sooooo sick of all the acoustic doodling that goes on in coffee shops across the country). I really dig this mix: it's fun and well constructed. I especially appreciate the use of the sound field. I prolly would have thrown in some slaps or some scat and lengthened the whole thing, but, hey, it sounds good as is.

#13 Mono

Mudkip (+150)

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

Reading the words "gypsy jazz" and "Django Reinhardt", I had high hopes, and Mr Holovaty doesn't disappoint. All that's missing is some Stephane Grappelli violin. Very nice.
Posted Image

Robo (+700)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationOviedo, Florida

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:21 PM

This is pretty awesome. The sound of it all reminds me of the intro/credits music that's in a lot of Pixar's short films.

#15 carps

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:57 AM

I love how this mix is not only great to listen to, but it doesn't draw too much attention to itself. I could easily see this used as the soundtrack for a short film. Very nice!
Cid: "So, how was your mission?"
Squall: "Whatever."
Cid: "Whatever? That's great!"

Squall and Headmaster Cid, from FFVIII

#16 Abadoss

Trenches Composer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,713 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:42 AM

My brother is a professional latin/jazz guitarist, so when I say this, I want you to know that I have spent a good deal of time on my credibility for such a comment. This is absolutely and perfectly in line with the style and I think you did an incredible job here. This is now one of my favorites. Wonderful work!

#17 Jens Wulvik

Jens Wulvik

Meat Boy (+250)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

Reminds of the jazz music on Mafia, City of lost heaven. Very cheerful, makes me happy :D

#18 PriZm

Fox McCloud (+1200)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMontreal. QC

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

I think 'charming' is the most appropriate word here. Nothing groundbreaking or fantastic, but it does put a smile on your face.

My only problem is that production and playing issues would have been pretty easily fixed. Oh well...
Posted Image

#19 adrian

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:00 AM

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback! This disclaimer didn't make it into my submission, but I recorded this in a couple of hours with a lousy computer microphone. I'm aware of the lousy sound quality. :)

--Adrian H.

EDIT: One more quick comment: This is three guitar tracks -- two rhythm and one lead. They're all the same instrument, the Gitane DG-250M gypsy-style acoustic guitar (http://www.sagamusic...ticle.asp?ID=52). I'd highly recommended the Gitane for anybody into this style of music!

#20 DJ Skratch 'n' Sniff

DJ Skratch 'n' Sniff

Alex Kidd (+200)

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:26 AM

One more quick comment: This is three guitar tracks -- two rhythm and one lead. They're all the same instrument, the Gitane DG-250M gypsy-style acoustic guitar (http://www.sagamusic...ticle.asp?ID=52). I'd highly recommended the Gitane for anybody into this style of music!

Ha! I knew it wasn't a plain old steel string! I thought it may have been a dobro or something.

Also: the "lousy" quality gives it a unique charm. It might sound kind of crappy if it were over-produced.

Anywho, sweet job. We need more acoutic work on this site; I hope you plan on submitting more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acoustic-guitar, live-recording, solo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums