Is there a word that defines DAW users?

Argitoth

VOTING PROCESS BEGINS SATURDAY AUGUST 11, 2007 to AUGUST 18, 2007

Hello. I had an idea. Since there's no word that defines us, we should make one up and then push it into the dictionary or wikipedia.

Possible Definitions:

1. A composer who uses SEQUENCERS, SYNTHESIZERS, and SAMPLERS for the majority of the musical processes.

2. Composer with a computer.

3. Nerd without a woman who has never been kissed by sunlight.

4. One who realizes his/her composition immediately and permanently as opposed to an "off-line" process of say, writing for an ensemble and then realising a performance/sound recording at a later date.

Possible Names:

a. Computer Composer (alt: compucom)

b. Technology Composer

c. DAW'k

d. Virtual Composer

e. Electronic Composer (musician? artist?)

f. VST-ist/VIT-ist (Virtual Studio Technologist/Virtual Instrumentalist)

g. Synthesist

h. Compuser

i. Music Engineer

j. Music Programmer

k. Desktop Composer (musician?) (alt: DTMer)

l. On-line Composer

Joke Names:

a. DAW'g (sup dawg)

b. DAWer (too obvious?)

c. Fantastic Midi (Organ?) Toiler

d. Detransmogrificationalist

e. DAW-some Person (dawsome?)

f. DAW Buddhist - "Rebirth" is the "Reason" for "Live"

g. Cocopeepeepoopishire (Butter was dropped on the head as a young'in)

h. DAWinist

i. Flarg

j. DAW Brain - a person with less than average intelligence

k. One Man Orchestra

Please post your ideas for definitions and names. YOUR SUGGESTIONS WILL BE POSTED!

Participating forums:

Northernsounds

KVRaudio

OCRemix

You're right that there is no official title for someone who works with synthesizers. However, additional composers for synthesized film scores, instead of remaining anonymous, typically get a "synthesizer programmer" credit. The wikipedia article on this seems a bit misinformed considering the vast number of "synthesizer programmer" credits listed on imdb. I prefer "music engineer" myself because the word "synthesizer" to me evokes the idea of 80s pop music and all that.

why does it need a term? it's still the same thing as being a producer or a composer.

and even if some people on random forums agree on a term, it's still not going to merit any sort of lexical acknowledgment.

this thread is futile at best, and insulting to all the musicians here at worst.

Lol come on man, don't be a negative nancy. This is for fun and I would like to have a voting process afterwards for the joke names especially.

why does it need a term? it's still the same thing as being a producer or a composer.

and even if some people on random forums agree on a term, it's still not going to merit any sort of lexical acknowledgment.

this thread is futile at best, and insulting to all the musicians here at worst.

I am going to have to agree with my buddy over here.

Doesn't the word "programmer," mentioned by Sil, cover all of this already? I know in the industry the term refers primarily to drum sequences, but unglamorous as it sounds, "programmer" or "music programmer" may already be an accepted "title." I already have been using this word to describe myself and what I do.