ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on PATREON!!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Justin M, Judge, Portrait of a Plumber Director
Ryu (+1750)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I'll start off to say that the dirty, garage-band sounding feel isn't my cup of tea, so I'm sure it doesn't help my review. I think some of the playing could've been a bit tighter. On the other hand, however, it's obviously capably produced and well executed for live instruments. Good job varying up the different sections to keep things fresh.

Oh man, quick panning at 1:14 really messes with my head. I think it's important to keep in mind some of us listen on headphones .

I did like the wah guitar section coming in a bit after 2:20. I've always been a sucker for the effect. I would've liked to hear some more transitions, rather than abrupt changeups (I'm looking at you, 4:55), but it's not bad enough to mess with the overall track too much.

Overall, I can appreciate a solid instrumental piece like this, whether or not it's my style. Well done.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Wesley Cho, Moderator, Maverick Rising/Serious Monkey Business Director
Sheng Long (+10000)

This is a pretty nifty mix - you don't see much rockabilly mixes on OCR. My only complaint as far as I can see is that the transitions kind of suck. Otherwise this is nice.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Wes M., Double the Trouble! Director
Luigi (+2000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

This is a fun romp, not the most technically proficient and not necessarily the most interesting arrangement, but I enjoy listening to it a lot nonetheless I didn't really take issue with the performance itself - the mistakes gave it that definite "live band" character.

Aside from the practically non-existent transitions, this one's good stuff.

· OCR Staff · Judge· Double the Trouble Director · ARMed and DANGerous Co-Assistant Director · Zelda: Ocarina of Time Project Co-Director
Old 12-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Beverley Wooff, Project Chaos Asst. Director
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Having thought fondly of 8-Bit Instrumental since Kyle's exposure of them on Nitro Game Injection, I'm good to see what they did here.

This to me feels like a medley of 3 different songs, though credit where credit is due for making all the different segments as varied as each other. Safe as they may be, seeing the difference in style across all three themes made them all worthwhile.

The first rockability section definitely had a lot of ideas packed in in regards to the performance stylistically, and definitely had some fun ideas especially with the panned pull-offs near the end of it. Didn't seem to cite any real problems with the performance there.
I did however find the timing a little more problematic with the dark second segment, especially when following after the wah guitar section at 2:30, though again it managed to make up for with some strong ideas, especially in regards to processing ideas and drum performance. Thankfully that segment got tighter as it went on and showed more polish as a performance from the 3 minute segment onwards.
And with the surf guitar finale at 5:08, it may still have its looseness and I even thought the lead guitar was a little overdone on the echo time, but again it's a fun idea that managed to work well charismatically.

I may be somewhat critical about this one, but for a track that's bursting with ideas and creative flow, I dig it a lot. And it's even harder to get a bunch of real musicians working on sync, though that's one key thing that may be looked at in regards to 8-Bit Instrumental's future works - the field of studio engineering, to give it less of a garage band sound.
But I know that they can make ideas work as a whole group, and so I hope they'll keep submitting material in the future
Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 PM

What I think of this remix

I've played this game countless times since I was a kid. I find this mix to be an awesome mix of Tracks 1, 3 and 4 respectively. All the different instruments make this experience one-of-a-kind. I find myself bewildered as to how this precision guitar-picking was pulled of.

This is a fine mix of metal, classic rock and beach guitar. The whole game cycled through my head as I heard this remix.

Tags
electric-guitar, rock