OCR Tiles Project

DarkeSword

THE OVERCLOCKED REMIX TILES PROJECT

——————————————————————

The OCR Tiles Project is something I've been thinking about doing for a while. Following the tradition of my previous threads (OCR-tan, Membership Cards, Judge Cereal, and most importantly, Title T-Shirts), I'd like to call upon the artists in the community to create 100x100px "tiles" inspired by each remix on this site. Using graphics from the associated game or something you drew yourself, create a unique mini-work-of-art that illustrates what the remix is about.

PAQs (Pre-emptively Asked Questions):

What's the point?

I think it'll be fun to see what people can come up with. OCR is a really creative community in more areas than just music, and I like seeing what everyone comes up with.

What're you gonna do with these tiles?

Not sure yet! Maybe we'll use them to make some kind of online trading card or remix mahjong game or something. Who knows?

I'm an OC ReMixer; what if I don't like the tile someone made for one of my mixes?

OC ReMixers get veto powers on all tiles associated with their mixes.

Are these tiles gonna be integrated with the site?

As of now? No, I think think so. Right now this is just a fun community project. Maybe in the future, but I really doubt it.

I'm bad at art, but I still want to help. What can I do?

We're gonna need organizers. This site as 1600+ remixes and counting, so I don't think one guy is going to be able to keep track of everything. If you want to organize a game or a series and coordinate with artists, then your help is welcome. We also need people to host graphics and maybe set up some gallery software on some webspace to show everything off.

Are there any guidelines I should know about for the tiles?

The art on the tiles should be related somehow to the game. It doesn't necessarily have to be related to the title of the mix itself; the art can be inspired by the music. Since the tiles are small (100x100px), don't put the actual title of the remix on it. Instead, please put the remix's four digit number somewhere on the tile using silkscreen, a very nice, small pixel font. Please don't use alpha channels or transparency; the tile should be "solid."

I made a tile for a remix, but someone else also made one for the same remix. How do we decide which one is the "official" one?

Work it out amongst yourselves or get the organizer responsible for that mix involved. If you can't decide, we can let people vote on it. I don't think it'll really come to that though.

Do you have an example?

Here's one for my first remix, "HeavyArms(LetMeLiftThisLoad)":

0758.png

Can I start yet? I have some ideas!

Go for it!

——

AAQs (Actually Asked Questions)

What background color should I use? Can I use alpha channels?

Please don't use alpha channels or transparency. This graphic should be an actual 100x100px picture of something.

——

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. Get crackin'!

Are these tiles gonna be integrated with the site?

As of now? No, I think think so. Right now this is just a fun community project. Maybe in the future, but I really doubt it.

Tiles had better not get integrated before membership cards. I've had the code for them written for over 6 months with nary a word from Mr. Pretzel.

Like this?:

1085Tile.jpg

1085. Magnet Man Goes West. Let the games begin.

You can even do them for mixes with boring titles!

1744Tile-1.jpg

1744. Overture Variations.

I'll make them look better later. Right now it's just proof of concept.

Er, not so much. :350:

What I'm looking for is art related to or actually from the game. This can be something you draw or something you make out of sprites or doctored screens. Unlike the t-shirt designs, these graphics don't have to be puns on the remix title either, just illustrative of what the song evokes. So "Magnet Man Goes West" could actually be a picture of Magnet Man with a cowboy hat or something.

As for transparency/alpha channels, please leave those out. These should be "solid" pictures.

I've updated my first post with revised details.

Oh also, please make sure the Silkscreen font is used properly: if you're using it in Photoshop, turn off anti-aliasing on the text and use size 8pt if you're making your image at a resolution of 72.

First post updated with example.

The OCR Tiles Project is something I've been thinking about doing for a while. Following the tradition of my previous threads (OCR-tan, Membership Cards, Judge Cereal, and most importantly, Title T-Shirts)...

lol, I keep thinking "Hi, I'm Darkesword. You might remember me from such threads as OCR-tan, Membership Cards, Judge Cereal, and Remix Tshirts thread."

Like, "Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such other nature films as 'Earwigs, Ew.' and 'Man Vs Nature... The Road To Victory'." -Simpsons

I'm guessing that animated ones are out as well? Having a few frames would be awesome.

Maybe include "OCR" with the number in case these tiles start appearing on other sites (which, knowing who many everyone else is on, is entirely likely), and then link to the actual song in question. Could be a nice, unintrusive way to spread the word around, while highlighting older remixes that are often overlooked.

• 1 month later...

Wow, this thing sure seemed to die in a hurry. I'm working right now on one for Pearlsong, and will shortly be putting one together for Braving Tal Tal Heights probably tomorrow. If I don't finish the first one tonight, I'll put up the background I've got so far.

Edit: Here's the background, as promised. I want to put the ship and maybe some eels int he background, but it's a little tougher than I thought it was going to be. Should get it soon though.

Pearlsongbackgroundcopy.jpg