OC ReMix Joins SquareSound for Uematsu Arrangement Competition!

djpretzel

contest_banner2007.jpg

Our friends over at SquareSound are holding an arrangement competition in tribute to Final Fantasy musical legend Nobuo Uematsu. The winner will receive two VIP tickets to the upcoming Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy concert in Chicago on March 1, 2008. The VIP tickets include prime seats at the concert, a free concert CD and program, and the ability to attend an exclusive meet-and-greet session with Mr. Uematsu himself following the performance.

OverClocked ReMix has donated copies of Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream as prizes, and head submissions evaluator Larry "Liontamer" Oji will be assisting with submissions evaluations.

In order to qualify, entrants must submit their own unique arrangement of any of Mr. Uematsu’s compositions. Registration for this competition is open until Tuesday, January 22nd and the finished arrangement must be submitted by February 8th.

For more details and to get registered, please visit SquareSound’s Competition Page.

I think it was more meant to emphasize that they receive the right to post the track to their archives once you enter, but you're right in that there's no other way I can see to interpret the usage of the word.

Yeah, I asked this question on the comments field of my registration, so hopefully we'll know exactly what it means soon.

Hey guys, Tim from SquareSound here. First off, thanks to DJ and Liontamer for helping out with this competition, it's really an honor to work with you guys and I truly appreciate your help and promotion.

Basically, Liontamer's assessment is correct. That line was added to emphasize our rights to post the arrangement in our archives. We're not assuming rights of the piece submitted, and you may post your arrangement here or wherever you choose. Sorry for any confusion. I'll change the wording on the page.

Thanks to those who enter. I'm really looking forward to hearing your finished work!

So I guess it's safe to assume at this point that Uematsu has probably heard of VotL, at least, and that Square is not going to sue us? :D

At any rate, I'd love to enter this. I have so many other projects going on, I'll definitely try to wrap some of them up in the next few days so I can confidently jump on this wagon.

Also,

The Criteria

Each contestant must submit an arrangement in either MP3 or MIDI format of a piece originally composed by Nobuo Uematsu. Note that the competition isn't limited to the Final Fantasy series. For example, you may choose to arrange something from Blue Dragon, or the upcoming Lost Odyssey.

I'm assuming that http://www.nobuouematsu.com/game.html pretty much anything on here is acceptable to arrange (except the ones that specifically say "arranged by..." or "____ theme only", obviously)?

while i know that i'm not the most talented musician to enter this, i'm definitely going to give it a shot. you never know =) it's been a while since i've arranged one of uematsu's songs, anyways.

i'd encourage all you mixers who consider yourself to be not as good as some of the people who might join up to do a song. it's the experience as much as anything else that makes it really worth it.

Yeah, I apologize if some of you hoped to do collaborations, but I just don't feel like that would be fair to those who worked solo. If a tandem happened to win, I could just see some of the solo artists becoming upset. Obviously this community has some of the most talented arrangers around, so I'd love to see everyone register. I hope you understand the stipulation and I'm sorry if this shuts some of you out.

This sounds very interesting.

Question. If I register, but then fail to submit anything (on the grounds that whatever I have is simply too crappy), will that be a problem/will I be penalized (beyond the fact that I can't win, obviously)?

I'd like to give this a shot, but I have... um... near-zero experience. >_> So if we register, are we bound to submit something, and if so, does that something have to have a minimum objective standard of quality?

This sounds very interesting.

Question. If I register, but then fail to submit anything (on the grounds that whatever I have is simply too crappy), will that be a problem/will I be penalized (beyond the fact that I can't win, obviously)?

I'd like to give this a shot, but I have... um... near-zero experience. >_> So if we register, are we bound to submit something, and if so, does that something have to have a minimum objective standard of quality?

If I'm reading this correctly, I don't think they'd force you to submit something. I mean, what could they possibly do to you? Take your first-born child?