ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

• 2 weeks later...
Technically you could submit something and then work on it for like 6 months depending on the speed of the panel. :3

That's not how it works. Sorry. You submit a FINISHED piece. You don't submit something that you then work on later in the process. You can't bank on the judge's panel taking months to get to your submission, because you don't know if they screen things first or not.

Submit once every three weeks, submit it finished, end of discussion.

the concept is that, while you might be able to make finished songs in under three weeks, you wouldn't have time to really go through and make sure it's a polished product, right?

There are many people on this site (including you, I believe) that are capable of making a passable song within a few days. It's not a quality issue. The point of the 3 week spacing is so that we're not inundated with 20 submissions by the same person. It's unfair to other remixers if we have to spend time judging all those remixes when there are other submissions to be heard.

Why are you answering questions and not voting?

Seriously tho, something I've been thinking about: if I made a remix album, would I have to sub the tracks individually or could I just hand over the entire album?

imo a sensible way of dealing with that is to evaluate the album and pass the postable tracks to djp who posts one or more as he sees fit, with no promise to post more than one pastable track. Dunno if you guys have a policy for this at all, just suggesting/asking/wondering/thinking out loud/rambling.

Why are you answering questions and not voting?

Seriously tho, something I've been thinking about: if I made a remix album, would I have to sub the tracks individually or could I just hand over the entire album?

imo a sensible way of dealing with that is to evaluate the album and pass the postable tracks to djp who posts one or more as he sees fit, with no promise to post more than one pastable track. Dunno if you guys have a policy for this at all, just suggesting/asking/wondering/thinking out loud/rambling.

No policy for it, but what you suggest goes against the "every 3 weeks" rule we just mentioned, plus it involves us having to formally judge every remix on your album. A better way to do it is to ask one of us or the workshop moderators if we can give you quick recommendations on the songs most likely to pass. If everyone is busy, guess those songs for yourself and submit 'em every 3 weeks. Of course, you could just try to make the album an official OCR album...

No policy for it, but what you suggest goes against the "every 3 weeks" rule we just mentioned, plus it involves us having to formally judge every remix on your album. A better way to do it is to ask one of us or the workshop moderators if we can give you quick recommendations on the songs most likely to pass. If everyone is busy, guess those songs for yourself and submit 'em every 3 weeks. Of course, you could just try to make the album an official OCR album...

Hahah! I was like "where is he going with this?" until I read the last sentence.. of course it'd be official, it's a Rozovian production! :-P Hah I'm just teasing you. :-)

@prophetik: I wasn't stepping on any toes, I was just making a point! I once asked permission if I could update a song heading for the panel that had been enroute for several months and was about a panel's week away from being judged. I asked a judge if it had hit the panel yet, he said no and gave me the green light to update the track before it hits, since I host all my remixes on my own web server and can update the files. :-o I'm not saying people SHOULD submit an unfinished song and then finish it within a few months... just saying it's possible... and you should ask permission to do so, of course. :-) It's not something I would do because I usually call a song done and I maybe spend 5 hours per song, but then I learn something new and want to go back and improve their production.

I think a remix album would only truly be a good idea if:

- You have like 30 remixes to post, too much trouble to do it individually, go for the album and wait it out

- You're working on it on the side and submit a song every few weeks... not sure if releasing the album would be faster if all the tracks pass, in fact I should ask, I bet they'd deny it and be all like "Wry? Songs already on the site, why make album, lol ur silly" or something :-)

Edited by Brandon Strader

I've updated mine while in the queue as well, with judges' permission. The long queue does present a bit of a problem in that if it takes so long, you might as well sub something inferior (that was perfect at the time), wait a while, and update when you've distanced yourself from it enough to hear the issues, or if you've just learned a lot in 6 months. Guys, get back to voting. :P

OCR projects, djp posts whatever he wants whenever he wants, or just for an initial flood, or...?

I've updated mine while in the queue as well, with judges' permission. The long queue does present a bit of a problem in that if it takes so long, you might as well sub something inferior (that was perfect at the time), wait a while, and update when you've distanced yourself from it enough to hear the issues, or if you've just learned a lot in 6 months.

Yes, you do make a valid point. I've also done something similar with Judge's permission as well. I believe the intention is that you submit a finished remix and it's up to you to leave it as-is, since you don't know when they draw your song out for listening. Vinnie's summary clears stuff up all around as well.

To quote OA: I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Hi Jooojes!

Been meaning to ask this for a while but never remembered. Was there some kind of forum update coming for the forum? I remember hearing about the tags possibly coming back, but I was particular interested in the forum "blogs". I don't remember if I heard about that being integrated here or if it was somewhere else. But yeah, I'm a firm supporter of the forum blog.

128750773851230862.jpg

Hi Jooojes!

Been meaning to ask this for a while but never remembered. Was there some kind of forum update coming for the forum? I remember hearing about the tags possibly coming back, but I was particular interested in the forum "blogs". I don't remember if I heard about that being integrated here or if it was somewhere else. But yeah, I'm a firm supporter of the forum blog.

128750773851230862.jpg

wasn't that brought up prior to last year's magfest, and then someone mentioned it at mag as a coming feature?

Question! Do people who've been on albums but haven't had their songs posted get any sort of recognition?

They get a +, or in lame man's terms, a voice on IRC for the duration of the day of the album's release. :-)

Also, they're totally listed on the album credits. Example, http://ocremix.org/album/15/humans-plus-gears-xenogears-remixed -- I got my name listed there even though I didn't get posted on it + a lot of people totally hated that song. Also my name updated to my current one. :-)

wasn't that brought up prior to last year's magfest, and then someone mentioned it at mag as a coming feature?

No clue, this upcoming MAG will be my first, but I do hope the rumors are true, and forthcoming.. perhaps we'll hear something about it at this MAGfest. :-)

No, not really.

Hahahahaha! xD

Little things mean more to little people xD

Edited by Brandon Strader

Was there some kind of forum update coming for the forum? I remember hearing about the tags possibly coming back, but I was particular interested in the forum "blogs". I don't remember if I heard about that being integrated here or if it was somewhere else. But yeah, I'm a firm supporter of the forum blog.

Yes it's still a planned upgrade for Mr. Pretzel, but alas, he is a busy man.

Group names: How do they work?

Like Liontamer and the Scuba Divers or whatever.

If they wanted to use The Scuba Divers name on a future track, but had different people in the group, or only a couple that continue on and other people come in or get replaced, the group name can still be used right? Like The Overclocked Plaid Muffins is a group name. How does they work. When you get DIFFERENT people next time you use it...?