djpretzel 6 hour coding-fest appreciation

DarkeSword

"heh you wont impress me w/you 6.05 hour of codeing, i amg a patron of overfclocke dremix(s) d jpretfzel youy will haver to do better than thies."

Thanks for the work you've just put into the site djp, as well as the numerous years of other hard work. I wish I were cool like Pezman but I can't help appreciating it.

ITlDr; I was simply pointing out that Pezmans point was a valid one, and DS's response to Pezman was unnecessary and unsatisfactory imo.

Except that it really wasn't a valid point. It was actually pretty uncalled for. Look at the thread. It's for showing appreciation. It's not for someone to come in and act like a hotshot and say "Yeah well just saying that he did stuff isn't good enough for me etc."

That's being a jerk, and I pointed that out.

Going further than that, why is it so hard to take on good faith that what I said was true? Do I have that kind of reputation where I'll lie about stuff just to garner praise for myself and the rest of the staff? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? Dave, Larry, Andy, and the rest of the staff do enough where I don't have to lie about anything.

If you don't want to show your appreciation, then you don't post. If you want to know what Dave did, before you say "Hey, thanks," then just ask nicely. Don't be a self-important douche about it. :roll:

EDIT: Yes, I realize the irony of my trademark smiley following that last statement. I've earned that right. Bite me. :P

In this case, switching from mysql to mysqli and refactoring datalists into a class hierarchy.

...sweet Jesus my friend, doing that sort of work without some hefty compensation shows some pretty strong devotion to this site and its community.

OKAAAY! Back to the appreciations, baby! I'll give us a couple of example posts. ^_^

Thank you, djp, for switching from mysql to mysqli and refactoring the datalists into a class hierarchy. I have no idea what that means, but I bet it was freaking hard and the fact that you would go an do something like that for six whole hours has got my whole body feeling all tingly at your dedication to this amazing site that you run FOR FREE!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Yes, down there too. !

OR

Thanks, djp. That rocks.

Edit: Ah! Looks like Phil got in before me. That smooth mother.

I understand what you did, DJP, and nice work. Even if I didn't understand the particular details, I know the value of performance enhancements in code, as well as the drive to make your software be all it can be, regardless of whether people see all the benefits of that or not.

Most of the rest of you are typical end-users: MOAR GRAPHICZ AND UI PLZ!

Not to bump my own appreciation thread or anything, but the list class hierarchy is now 100% complete, and furthermore (wait for it).... there's also a list factory class that abstracts away list construction!

If that doesn't get your blood pumpin' I don't know what will! ;-)

The code on http://www.ocremix.org/browse/ used to be 20 or 30 lines of conditional wonkery (before the list classes, it was longer)... now it's:

echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("albums");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("composers");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("emulators");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("games");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("organizations");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("remixers");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("remixes");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("songs");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("systems");

I do believe that's some of the first code I've posted here, but - although it appears ridiculously simple - it's also some of the best, in terms of design patterns, etc.

...sweet Jesus my friend, doing that sort of work without some hefty compensation shows some pretty strong devotion to this site and its community.

Or that he likely actually enjoys what he does. I think a lot of people underestimate the simple pleasures of programming, tweaking stuff to make it better/faster, and in general just having things WORK.

although it appears ridiculously simple

That's usually the sign of good design/code. Nice work! :nicework:

Not to bump my own appreciation thread or anything, but the list class hierarchy is now 100% complete, and furthermore (wait for it).... there's also a list factory class that abstracts away list construction!

If that doesn't get your blood pumpin' I don't know what will! ;-)

The code on http://www.ocremix.org/browse/ used to be 20 or 30 lines of conditional wonkery (before the list classes, it was longer)... now it's:

echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("albums");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("composers");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("emulators");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("games");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("organizations");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("remixers");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("remixes");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("songs");
echo ListFactory::getListXMLTotals("systems");

I do believe that's some of the first code I've posted here, but - although it appears ridiculously simple - it's also some of the best, in terms of design patterns, etc.

This code is absolutely terrible. You are a terrible person. :(

edit: ... :mrgreen:

If you want to know what Dave did, before you say "Hey, thanks," then just ask nicely. Don't be a self-important douche about it.

I'll respond to this, just so I can clear my good name and everyone will know what I meant. I'd rather not clog up the thread with any more arguing, so you all can PM me if you still want to rip me apart.

I never meant to sound like what Darkesword described. I've been here for a bit more than a year now, and have met Dave and many of the other major players on this site more than once. I'm not claiming to be anyone's best friend, but nothing I've done on the forums or in person indicates I have the characteristics so readily ascribed to me. But even disregarding that, is what I said so terrible? For one, I didn't even realize it was offensive, so I'm sorry about that. I didn't - and don't - intend to demean Dave's work (or, for that matter, anyone else's) work on the site. He does a lot and deserves gratitude. I just thought it was strange that DarkeSword would encourage us to thank Dave for working... without having some idea of what he was working on. Not because I think Darke was lying and Dave didn't do anything. But giving us even a general overview helps to explain exactly the kind of effort it may have taken. In this case, I think I was right, since many people (myself included) did understand some of what Dave actually did and were better able to appreciate (and therefore thank more sincerely) the effort.

• 3 years later...

I only wish I would've gotten to speak to djp and shake his hand in person at MAGFest. If it weren't for OCR, I don't think my love of VGM would have really become a huge part of my life, and I wouldn't have started Nitro Game Injection as an outlet to show my appreciation and to have as a venue which has put me in contact with so many talented musicians and other people that I consider to be some of my greatest friends. I know I have been critical on occasion, but I really do love this place and the continued contributions in making video games a real force in the music world.