OCR00314 - Super Mario RPG "Geno's Woods"

Saunders

• 2 months later...

Mario RPG is a game I've played through many many times, and I'd have to say that this mix is really good. The choice of of instruments fits the "adventurous" theme of the music perfectly, and I especially like the bassoon, although it gets drowned out a little bit by the higher instruments in its solo at about 1:07. It's also a bit short, but I don't know too many things present that could've really been expanded upon. So overall, a highly recommended mix.

• 3 weeks later...

The song itself is a tad short, but it keeps the bouncy theme of Geno's woods where you would later meet bowyer. The song itself is missing bass or dark notes to give it that sort of balanced sound to it. But the instruments were well played and chosen, and still give you the feel of being in the woods of a complete maniac all the while keeping you on your seat and harm-free.

This rates a good 7/10 in my scales.

• 2 weeks later...

Great theme, loved the game.

Sounds sort of medieval. :D

Almost as if it were played by a band of traveling minstrels, prancing and dancing through the lonely woods playing muic and singing cheerfully...

uh...um...I'm sorry, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyway... Great mix. :D

• 4 months later...

The Forest Maze theme from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was an excellent theme, exemplifying the ambience, for want of a better word, of that game. The tune was adventurous with just a touch of forboding, as if some hidden fear lurked in the shadows of the trees as you ventured through the tangled forest... maybe a bit dramatic for a Mario game, but the theme did work. And "Geno's Woods" takes that adventurous, almost midieval theme and adds to it, creating a piece worthy of inclusion in a revamped SMRPG:LotSS for the GameCube or a later system. The woodwinds play a key role in this arrangement, dominating the melody and occasionally suplemented by strings in the background. The ambient sounds at the beginning of the piece are a nice touch, and the entire song flows very smoothly. It is really a shame that Orkybash couldn't have made this song a bit more lengthy, the piece's total time clocking in at one minute and forty-two seconds, as "Geno's Woods" really is a very fine ReMix worthy of recognition and recommended for downloading. At least in the humble opinion of this reviewer, though my opinion may not be held in high esteem in comparison when compared with many others that haunt this site. No matter - it's still a brilliant bit of work.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Orkybash's made a great mix here. It does a great job of "remastering" the Woods theme, and I think that if the big N were to remake SMRPG (as they SHOULD, damnit!!), this would be what they'd use for the Woods... not only because it sounds great, but also because - and this will help the Corporal's length problem - It loops. The ambience at the end goes perfectly with the ambience at the beginning, and if you didn't know that and didn't have your Music Player in plain sight, you'd just think it was a break. Albeit similar to the break that happened a minute and a half ago.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The bird chirping intro is very sweet, as is the autumnal walk-in-the-park feel of it, and it's got a smiles-all-around kind of beat. However, the MIDI-like buzzing and bleeding of the soundfonts irks me. An odd dichotomy, considering the arrangement's rather straightforward and djp exemplifies the soundfonts in the writeup. Still, solid for its time.

• 1 month later...

Sample-wise a mixed bag, as is the execution; the harpsichord was nice, as was the bassoon, and the usage of both was smartly done, but the recorder was a bit too lacking in velocity variety, as were the pizzicato strings. The sustained strings were pretty nice, however.

The arrangement was really fun and playful, but a bit mechanical in several spots. It was especially apparent in the sections that were heavy with the pizzicato.

With such a short length, it feels more like a promising WIP than a finished work, but it's fun and contains a lot of variation despite it's brevity.

• 10 months later...

I like that this mix is short and compiled, so that you know that every section is crammed with goodness, rather than it being spread evenly throughout. Generally with pieces like this, I find if they overstay their welcome, they get a bit too sickly sweet and I just don't enjoy it anymore. That's definitely not the case here.

This mix really succeeds in making one of the catchiest gaming tunes ever even catchier, despite being dated somewhat production-wise. But you know, I still like listening to Gameboy chiptunes, so I'm definately not phased by dated production if the melody and nostalgia is done justice. As it is in 'GenosWoods'.

Awesome mix, and one of earliest standout tracks from the OCR catalog.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00314 - Super Mario RPG "Geno's Woods"