Are there any games you guys play over and over again?

atmuh

Right on guys, I can play Starfox64 time and time again. There have been very few games that I can just pick up and play, then have a blast. Can't believe it's been over 10 years, but the game is more fun that half the crap coming out these days!

Anything else? The original Metal Gear Solid I've played through a zillion times, more than any of the sequels.

And last but not least, I could play Advance Wars over and over again when I'm on my DS. The strategies you can play with are fun, and you can make maps, which I've had a lot of fun with, too!

OH, and I was playing Burnout 3 constantly on the original Xbox until just recently. That game just feels right. With custom soundtracks it made it more fun and more energetic (better music, right?).

In fact, I'd go so far to say with custom soundtrack options I'd replay things much more often than other games. I mean, I have Armored Core 4 on PS3, and it was fun, but a little "meh" after a while, but I kid you not... if I could play that game with classic Gundam music playing in the background I would probably be doing that right now. Seriously. Burnout 3 just felt good (better than the newer ones IMO) and the custom soundtracks are probably what kept it in my regular play-throughs. The newer versions seem to have lost the intensity of the races, now that real tracks are gone, and you can check traffic. :( It's just intense. Far more intense than the newer ones.

Anything else? *thinks*

Oh, and Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time on the SNES. I can always have fun with that.

I'll play the games that are, by design, meant to be played over and over again. Typically for me, this means games that are extremely high in adaptation and improvisation.

For example, Smash Bros, most noteably in its latest incarnation, I play all the time. It's depth and breadth are, by design, infinitely replayable.

Oblivion I play constantly. I liken it to a very peculiar MMO, whereby each person who plays *adds* something new and unique to the world. One of my favorite things to do is leave the game alone for a month, come back and binge on all the new mods.

Unreal tournament 2004 is in that same glorious vein of high adaptation, high improvisation. It also shares the same constantly evolving structure as Oblivion's mod scene.... I just wish ut3 was a better game :/

Megaman 1-3 and Megaman X1-4

Castlevania games, especially the Metroidvania ones, and especially Symphony of the Night.

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3. MGS4 seems like it's going to get a lot of playtime by me as well.

Starfox 64.

Any fighting game. I'll pick them up and beat the arcade modes whenever I want to kill time.

Chrono Trigger.

Star Fox 64? Sorry guys, I'm gonna have to sit this one out...

Does Metroid: Zero Mission count? It must have taken me at least 15 tries to get all 8 or so endings. And I must have beaten it at least another 10 times since then. Best boss fights I've ever played - I could fail at the same boss 30 times in a row, and not be the slightest bit bored. That game was really made to be played to death over and over again (not unlike Star Fox 64); it's heavily geared towards speed runs / low item runs / 100% item speed runs / are you crazy, you can't beat the game without THAT item!!? runs. And it's no coincidence I chose to put the M:ZM Mother Brain in my sig...

Also, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity. Insanely fun once you teach yourself how to play - those harder skill levels are intense, and each of the vehicles plays like an entirely different game. The tracks offer an amazing amount of variety too - definitely my favourite F-Zero game (and I'm pretty sure I've played them all). I kind of played it to death a while back (you know, beating every cup with every pilot on every skill level), but haven't touched it for a while... if I felt like getting back into gaming, I'd probably pick this one up again.

I'm pretty sure I've praised these two games before in a "handhelds" or "GBA" thread here. If you need hand-held games that will keep you entertained and challenged for a long time, get these.

I'd say "Metroid Prime" as well, but that lost all appeal for me after I beat the "no energy tanks and no missile expansions" run [/bragging]

No, but seriously, try it. Highly recommended.

[Edit]

And my "when I was a kid" list:

Megaman 1, 3, and 4

Startropics

Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3

Dr. Mario

I've probably played 100+ hours on Star Fox 64. I don't know why, maybe in trying to get a higher and higher total kill count, but I could not put that game down for several years of my life.

Earthbound I play once every year or so, same with Secret of Mana. Never played a Halo until Halo 3, but it's rare if a week goes by where I don't play it at all, even if just for one match. Smash Bros as well. I was like that with Perfect Dark and Mischief Makers for awhile too.

I also play Tetris attack on SNES regularly, along with TMNT 4 and TMNT Tournament Fighters (SNES).

And as I was going thru my stack to jog my memory i saw Mischief Makers, which might soon join the list...

getting all those yellow gems for the ending drove me crazy.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Yes, I am a Geno-fag. This is, by far, the best game I have ever played in my entire life.)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (At least 3-6 hours a day)

Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland (Meta Knightmare ftw)

Kirby Superstar (One of my favorite games of all time)

Kirby Air Ride

Mega Man X5 (My favorite out of the X series)

Mega Man Zero 1-4 (Some of the best games I've ever played)

Mega Man ZX/ZXA

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt (I seriously hate that damn dog...)

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario World

Pokemon (Mostly Pearl and FireRed)

Dr. Mario (With my parents)

Tetris

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Fable

New Super Mario Bros.

I think that's about it..There might be more but I can't think of them right now.

I love old school side scrollers. They are, in my opinion, the best games this world has to offer. Adventure games like Zelda are amazing as well.

The Spore Creature Creator has me coming back nearly everyday to make a new monster so far.

Republic Commando. It got to the point where I could just about beat that game with my eyes closed. Yet, the AI was generally good enough to provide a moderate challenge on Hard.

Also, Crysis. Again, AI changes every time, thus creating different challenges.

For me, playing 2D one-on-one fighting games is the most pleasant way to waste some time, because most can be completed in less than 15 minutes (if the last boss doesn't suffer from SNK Boss Syndrome that is). Also, some of those games literally take ages to master, so you keep coming back to them.

I've mainly played Capcom fighters (Street Fighter Alpha series, Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Capcom vs SNK series, Marvel vs Capcom series, Darkstalkers series), but I'm no stranger to games like Guilty Gear and KOF.

I'm currently playing Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower. Jedah rocks!

Stuff like smash bros I will be playing forever, but in terms of single player:

FFVII - 10+

FFX - 5+

Diddy Kong Racing - 5+

Super Mario 64 - 5+

Pokemon red/blue - 5+

Toejam and Earl - 10+

Super Mario 6 Gold Coins - 5+

Call of Duty 4 - 5+ (including vet mode twice :D)

Streets of Rage - 10+ (This was back in the day though)

I've replayed most FF games and a few Zelda ones here and there aswell.

games I played over and over and over were:

Final Fantasy IV - weekend

Secret of Mana - weekend

Lufia II - weekend

Dragon Warrior IV - weekend

Mega Man 2, 3, and 4

Turtles in Time (about 30 minutes)

Mario Kart (SNES)

Aladdin (SNES) - collect all the red gems

Silent Hill speedrun

Silent Hill 2 speedrun

Brandish

Donkey Kong Country 2

Mega Man X (constantly!)

Shadowrun

Starfox 64

Yoshi's Island

Zelda II

Link's Awakening

Castlevania: SOTN

Unfortunately I don't seem to have the will to play these that much anymore, but when I do get the urge, this is what I play.

I dunno how many times I played through the original Mega Man 1-6 (especially 3 and 4), but growing up at most times a Mega Man game was in the ol' NES...until someone borrowed them and I never saw them again.

I didn't personally own a SNES, but my best friend did and whenever I would come over we would so often pop in Mega Man X, Mega Man X2, or Super Metroid. We pretty much maintained that trend through sophomore year of high school.

Either my sophomore or junior yr in HS, I finally got a PSX, and played through Mega Man X4 a lot, though that was the last Mega Man game I would play more than a couple times. My best friend got himself a launch PS2 (so I guess that was my sophomore yr at HS), and played the hell out of Armored Core 2 and 3.

During my 2nd year at UW (2003), I got a Gamecube. From there I dunno how many times I played through Metroid Prime.

Nowadays, there really aren't any games I play again all that often after beating once.

I think the only one that would qualify under Atma's definition is Super Metroid. But I frequently replay Chrono Trigger and FF6 (working on FF6 Advance right now, actually) over periods of about a week, and whenever I'm bored I fire up the old UT2k4 or Freespace 2 and give multiplayer a shot.

Freespace 2 and give multiplayer a shot.

You play Freespace 2 too? Cool. I've never tried the multiplayer on it, but I think I should now, sometime.

As for the original topic...

These I can beat in a sitting (or two, if I'm taking my time to do my very best):

StarFox 64

Mario Kart 64

Super Smash Bros (any, but mostly Melee)

Mega Man X

Mischief Makers

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Star Wars: Rogue Leader

Turtles in Time

These I can't do in a sitting:

Freespace 2

Chrono Trigger

Perfect Dark

Metroid Prime

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Pokémon (and I'm not afraid to admit it, like others here apparently)

Mega Man Zero series (yes, I mean I play them all straight from start to finish)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (which one depends on my mood at the time)

Super Mario 64

SimCity 4 (considering there's no end to it, you can't really beat it, but I'm putting it here anyway)

I'm sure there are some that I'm forgetting, but these are the ones I play most often.

NES:

Megaman 1-6 (especially 4 as it's the hardest with only the Megabuster)

Castlevania & Castlevania III - Dracula's Curse (god damn it come out on VC)

Mike Tyson's Punchout

Super Mario Bros 1-3

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-arcade version port (with sister or friend)(must also comeout on VC)

SNES;

Super Ghouls & Ghosts

Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong 2

Super Castlevania IV (especially the second time around as it goes on hardmode)

Super Punchout

Final Fantasy III (VI)

Nintendo 64:

Castlevania64 - Legacy of Darkness version

Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time (every heart piece/skulltula/side stuff)

Bomberman64 (damn gold cards haunted me the entire time & multiplayer was awesome)

Gameboy/GBA/DS:

Megaman5

Warioland 1

Kirby's Pinball

Kirby's Dreamland

Tetris & DS version

FF: Tactics Advance

Fire Emblem (US) & FE:Sacred Stones

PC:

Half-Life

Quake II

Quake 4

DOOM Trilogy & 3

Age of Empires 2

I often find myself playing the following probably on a monthly basis:

Shining Force 2 (Sega Genesis)

I just love this game. I enjoy the combat music, the decent level of strategy needed, and who doesn't like watching a master monk both pummel a enemy to death AND heal a team mate for an impressive amount?

Landstalker (Sega Genesis)

The game had nice graphics for it's time, the game music was memorable (for me), and even though the lack of important shadowing for the floating platforms were frustraiting, it wasn't beyond the point of me breaking my controller and giving up.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)

The perfect 2D sonic game IMO. I was just a very well done game to me. The stages were fast pace, the emerald stages were challenging but not challenging enough for me to not get a perfect in every one ;). The game was just 'complete' to me.

Super Dodge Ball (NES)

Seriously do I need to explain this?! Randy from team USA, air super attack! Whack the opposing team members across the screen 2 to 3 times and still beating the hell out of them if they land on your side of the court.

Ogre battle (SNES, PSX)

The game is great! Play any alignment you want (as long as you know Canopus's unit is the best way to raise your rep while liberating towns), the ability to pair up seraphims and undead dragons or any large combination of the different characters in the game allows you to play it in so many different ways.

Mega Man 7? (SNES)

I fell in love with the boss music. Referring to the original 8 bosses, not the Wily stages. Turbo man, shade man, etc.

River City Ransom (NES)

"Barf!"

I think the game at the top of my list for this is definitely Super Metroid. The controls were just about perfect and there are many ways to play through it. I still haven't decided which route is the fastest. So far my shortest time is 48 minutes with something like 95%. Another reason it's got great replayability is the slight luck factor.

I also like to replay Zelda: A Link to the Past, MegaMan 3, X and X4, Castlevania SOTN, Castlevania IV, Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast), and Final Fantasy VI (I know it can't be done in a day...or can it?)

EDIT: Forgot to mention The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64). Probably been through that around 15 times now.