OCR01748 - Final Fantasy XI Online "While San d'Oria Sleeps"

djpretzel

My friend you are my hero. I wana thank you for being the first to release a song for this very underrated soundtrack. I like your take on this piece and it brings back a lot of memories of playing the game (grinding, and grinding, and grinding) Anyways, great work dude. Many kudos.

now i have to go and write a solo piano piece to follow this up.

My friend, you have just made the day in which I am sick as hell with a nasty nast cold into a glorious day. Not only do I love the music from FF11, but to make the San d'oria theme into a sweet and melodic classical guitar piece, I have nothing more I can say.

You, sir, are my hero! Do NOT be surprised to hear from me in the future for possible collabs! (FF11 related, I'm sure :-) ).

Oh, I've been waiting for this one to be submitted for a long time, ever since I saw it pop up in the judges' queue. First off because there aren't any other FFXI mixes yet, and second because I love that track (a true nationalistic San d'Orian). Finally I got to hear what it sounds like as well, and I'm truly impressed!

I'm usually not a big fan of slower, calmer type songs but this song is one I would not only just listen to and enjoy but keep the song on repeat for quite some time. It has a San d'Oria feel but at the same time very relaxing and enjoying. A excellent mix in my books!

Though I only played the game for about 20 minutes before giving up in disgust, i've always been a huge fan of the soundtrack. The general level of quality is very high, and the original theme is one of the nicer ones, IMO.

This is a beautiful and inspired take on the original with a completely different feel, but still possessing the hopeful and heroic spirit of the original.

Playing is fantastic and though some think the low end is a bit much, I think the amount is negligible, and it does nothing to detract from this. I wish the final chord resolved slightly more traditionally, but really there is nothing wrong with this fantastic mix.

Recommended!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After 320+ Days of game time in FFXI... Being San d'Oria'n for about 80% of it and spending a mass amount of time in San d'Oria...This tune is a refresher. A lovely piece that would do nicely, If I still played FFXI this would make it a bit more bearable to run around the elf town. Very well done indeed. Now if only there would be a mix like this for the Xarcabard regions. ^_~

• 4 weeks later...

Taking a break from writing papers to review this one while it's fresh in my mind. I can't talk knowledgeably about much in the realm of music, but Final Fantasy soundtracks... Those I can talk about. FF XI had a more or less great soundtrack - it had its ups and downs, but as the first Final Fantasy soundtrack where Uematsu handed the reins to the younger generation, I think it did quite well, and the Theme of San d'Oria is one of the standout tracks. So I love your source to begin with.

Then you went and took a royal march and turned it into a solo acoustic guitar piece, and a beautiful one at that. This was one of the rare mixes where I could start iTunes and go listen to the source to compare, and I really like what you did. Almost no changes to the melody or structure, just quiet, calm restatement of the theme with some new and ear pleasing chord progressions as well.

It's understated, elegant, and beautiful. I wouldn't change a thing. Wonderful work. I hope we hear from you again.

• 1 month later...

I love this piece, it's quiet and beautiful, and I love to plunk out the tune as best I can on my keyboard--I've never heard the original, but even so I think I can safely say I like this rendition better. I tend to like solo accoustic guitar pieces almost as much as I love solo piano, and this one's a keeper.

• 9 months later...

Wow, nice. Contemplative and at perfect peace with itself. It's always good to hear music out to harm noone and delight everyone, and while it will probably go against the grain of traditionally louder and fuller material, I think most OCR fans would be quite taken with it.

No crazy arrangements, no complex instrumentation, no super-snazzy effects. Just a stripped back performance that gets to the heart of the source and plays it with an innocent indie style.

Never heard the original score, but I'm about to right now. From the melody I can tell I'd be a fan.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01748 - Final Fantasy XI Online "While San d'Oria Sleeps"