OCR00988 - Chrono Trigger "The Incredible Singing Robot"

Made me laugh, made me cry, made me turn the volume down. I didn't think that a remix could bring such emotion, never mind one featuring a compressed and vocoded singing robot. It's faults are mostly obvious: a few instruments (and sometimes that awesome voice) get lost underneath the otherwise very worthy drums. Overlooking the mixing and mastering, the arrangement is one of the most listenable among the remixes, although that isn't saying much, it is a good arrangement.

Robo can kick Gonzales/Gato's metal-jointed posterior any day in a singing contest.

• 3 weeks later...

This song is so awesome. At first I had it on my drive and didn't listen to it for awhile, but when Winamp was shuffling through all my remixes I heard it and was shocked. So I listened to it again and now I sing along with the lyrics. So original and fun! Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am amazed.This song is DEFINITELY worth downloading. Robo's theme is not a song that lends itself well to any kind of lyrics - believe me, I've tried - yet it sounds excellent. The lyrics are well written, the remix music itself is great, the drums are a bit heavy , but otherwise almost perfect. The only thing about this song is the fact that the volume is insane, so none of the cool Plenoptic graphics on Windows Media look good with it. This is another unequivocal remix from Star Salzman. I give 9.9/10, marked down for volume.

I was greatly amused by this song as it had excellent lyrics (which is appreciated more if you own a copy of Chrono Trigger) and a real neat 80's style melody. I enjoyed this song on many levels and the melody goes along perfectly with both the words and the voice used for the piece. Robo was always a cool character and the music was fantastic by all means for snes. With in depth lyrics and beautiful harmony between voice and music, i give this mix a 9/10.

I can't explain it but.. this song has such emotion in it! Robo Robo Robo! I loved the main theme so it must have been residual with me but I think this adds something else somehow with the lyrics. (Robo was in my final party with Crono and Lucca.. I only played through it once, he was definitely something special).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Out of every remix I have ever heard on OCRemix... Star... You have made one of the best I have possibly ever heard. I mean, seriously now, this song exited me, saddened me, and gave me joy. The lyrics are truley touching and comical at the same time. This is one of the best, so keep the masterful work up!

Star...this remix has woken me up unexpectedly so many times. It's far louder than most mixes in my VG music playlist. But each time I don't reach for the remote to turn the volume down so I may return to my slumber...nay...I listen and smile. I listen til' it's through and then fall back into cozy sleep and dream good things.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good song, though I'll agree with it being sufficiantly louder than most of the other tracks I have (the two main exceptions being Rize's Rude Awakening and AmIEvil's Samus Strut (but that's mainly because I have a giant woofer.)) Great lyrics as well. My favorite part of the whole song, though, is the end, with the piano-y part of the theme. It's a ton less loud, and really nice, actually. Calming, if you will. The rest of the song is surprisingly well orchestrated behind the lyrics. A bunch of the songs I've listened to with lyrics not in the original song aren't orchestrated this well, ([sucks up]Pillar of Salt being an especially noteworthy exception[/sucks up])

So, yeah. Nice song.

87/100

• 2 months later...

This is such an amazing ReMix, Star Salzman. I applaud you. Absolutely incredible, this is such an amazing song, truly. There's something there, that many people should understand. I do see what everyone means by this song lacking multiple instruments, but sometimes more isn't better. It's what the few included instruments can do, not just how many you can fit in one song. This song definitely conveys so much emotion. It opens up right with a retro-SNES sounding drum beat that's both nostalgic yet sounds so crisp and fresh. I do agree that the voice is occasionally lower than its surrounding instruments, but I don't have a problem with it whatsoever. It makes the voice seem so...comforting. It's not the focus for once, it's in the background, like a beautifully flowing lullaby or something, I don't know. That's just what is truly commendable; this is a robot singing, a machine. And yet it seems so alive and full of emotion. And I love how, around 1:04, 1:39 and a few other times, there's that impeccable echo. It makes Gato's voice so soothing, so saddening in some way too. I also noticed the perfect inclusion of Robo's static whirring/beeping in the song at 1:46. The story that Gato tells, is really enjoyable...it's accurate and memorable. I do see perhaps how some could say the lyrics feel stretched, but I don't agree that it sounds bad at all. If anything it makes it seem so much more enjoyable and genuine, almost as if Gato is right there in front of me at the fair, holding his mic, with speakers behind him playing the little drums and techno rhythms. I am so happy with this song, even though it runs nearly 4 minutes in length, it doesn't get old. There are MANY songs here that sound absolutely terrific, but something makes me sometimes go "nah, not right now" after about a minute and skip to a new song. All the way to the very end; a small piano solo closing; it goes out with such a pervasive bang. If anyone has second thoughts about downloading this, think no further. [i mean, I was going to post this review right after finishing it, until I decided to hit "Preview", and then I saw how massive of a review this really is. That should really show you how amazing it really is.] Give Star Salzman the credit I truly believe he deserves, whether or not you enjoyed this ReMix, it's creative, inspiring, and unique. Thank you for such a great contribution. 10/10

• 1 month later...

This song is damn good. The original tune was already great, and this song takes everything good from the original and adds on to it. This song is very weird and kind of overly flamboyant, if you know what I mean. But if you can get past that, it's an awesome tune. Good for the ears.

Edit: I listened to this song again (about 5 times really), and I have to say its one of the best I've heard on Overclocked. Thanks, Star Salzman. I hope you do more remixes with your vocals and original lyrics. They are the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I figure that with pages and pages of review already, this doesn't need any more, but I couldn't help but comment.

This is a fascinating "remix", if you want to call it that. It is just as original if not more so than Pillar of Salt, and I can hear similarity to it however simply in the sheer depth of sound created. I really enjoy the opening rhythm.

Excellent work!

• 5 weeks later...

Oooh, I love this remix so much! ^^ I mean, first of all, I love the sound of it, the 80s vibe and all...but my favorite part is the lyrics. They're so great, part beautiful, party funny, and all-around a great representation of my favorite character from Chrono Trigger. Keep up the good work, Star, 'cause this is one of my most favorite remixes I've downloaded.

This song is simply good enough to join the forums for! It's wonderful, and every time it plays I remember most everything I did with Robo in Chrono Trigger. Especially when he reads Melchoir backwards in Frog's house... *nostalgia*

Anyway, before I actually looked up the lyrics, I always thought they said "Won't you pick me instead of that brat? I can do healing too!" and therefore thought he was talking about Marle. Did anybody else hear this, or am I just insane? :?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is without a doubt one of the best remixes on the site I've come across so far (currently going through the torrents).

Now, I've never even played Chrono Trigger (or even heard of it before visiting this site), so I think it stands very well as a piece in it's own right.

The melody is just so expressive and the singing lends itself to it so well. It's gonna be a while before I can get this one outta my head - excellent job Star Salzman.

• 1 month later...

This so totally hilarious! Those who haven´t read the lyrics below djpretzel´s review really, NO, MUST read them! The experience of this becomes much better.

Thanks Salzman, you are the first of the pioneers leading the way to friendship between robots and mankind, in a funny way. The last lines was the best.

But the music is good to, I thought I would download this only because of the great piano at the end. Great that someone took the step to give Robo´s theme a makeover, but we didn´t expect somethin´ like this!

Thanks again Star!**********

I adore this song! Kudos to Star for another job well done. love the whole concept, beginning to end.

You should do a song for each of the characters. Although, Crono's would have to be lyrical (ha, get it? He doesn't talk in the game, therefore no lyrics to his song! Ha! I kill me...).

Actually, he has one line, at the end of the Ultimate Slideshow... so his song would have to have at least one line

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00988 - Chrono Trigger "The Incredible Singing Robot"