VG Frequency: U Love VGM

Liontamer

Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?

• Yes
    • [b][size=7]YES[/size][/b]
    • Larry's merely part of the establishment now (i.e. yes)
    • Yes, as this promotes affirmative action

Next point, Reverb is entirely subjective to the song.
Ultimately' date=' it's up to you to decide what sounds should have reverb, and in what amount. It also depends on whether or not the recordings you are dealing with had any reverb recorded (or if they were recorded "dry" - eg. no natural ambiance), or if you are dealing with recorded sounds atall. Before I give some more etcetc[/quote']

Kaijin please stop starting shit

First of all, I wasn't even talking about a stupid reverb tutorial in the first place. He brought the subject of a tutorial on reverb up (which is a pointless topic to give a tutorial about, mind you). Secondly, I wasn't "starting shit". I was more reffering to the stupid things I've read him post about various sample libraries that were supposed to be "helpful" to people, or his advice to others regarding what they should or shouldn't use.

Also you seem to be misinformed if you think any of this has to do with OneUp. Josh was never part of OneUp, and Po! is no more part of it than DJPretzel.

Interesting that you say it's a stupid topic, because a whole lot of people requested I write about it. And as a judge, I hear a lot of songs that use reverb in a way that's sloppy, or they don't use it at all - ALL the judges can testify to this, so it's not just me. I figured it would be helpful it include it on a topic covering "effects", and clearly a lot of people agree with me on that.

I can't think of where I've told people what libraries to use. And why would you bring this up now, after the fact, even if I did? Do what normal people do. If you see something you disagree with, post about it.

Interesting that you say it's a stupid topic, because a whole lot of people requested I write about it. And as a judge, I hear a lot of songs that use reverb in a way that's sloppy, or they don't use it at all - ALL the judges can testify to this, so it's not just me. I figured it would be helpful it include it on a topic covering "effects", and clearly a lot of people agree with me on that.

I can't think of where I've told people what libraries to use. And why would you bring this up now, after the fact, even if I did? Do what normal people do. If you see something you disagree with, post about it.

"as a judge dur dur dur". I could write a novel on how judging music isn't within any of our grasps and how you or anyone else shouldn't be allowed to do it, but I'll save that rant for another time. Again I don't care about your reverb tutorial or the reasons you wrote it. The concept of reverb and how it's used is not hard to figure out with active listening. Oh hey there's a topic why don't you write a "tutorial" about that while you're at it.

My original point was that I've seen you post idiotic things which I'll go ahead and sum up here

zerkhan: "i know everything about orchestral and choir samples"

virt: "you are a stupid fuck i hope you die"

Dale: "So say I'm writing orchestral pop; In you opinion do you see yourself reaching for this library if for example (insert exactly what he wants to know here)"

zerkhan: "i don't write pop ballads, but i still know everything about them. Since i know so much more about them than you, Dale Mr. Pop Ballad North, i will tell you how it SHOULD be done."

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate you or think you're stupid or anything. I just think you say some dumb stuff occasionally and it's very funny but at the same time can really hurt other people who don't know any better. =(

Why did I speak up about it now? Well maybe to raise some self awareness that people may actually listen to what you're saying and that maybe you shouldn't come off as so opinionated on topics you even admit to yourself you don't know very much about.

There's certainly room for criticism, but I think Zircon is getting much too much attention in this regard, and indeed unfair criticism mingled with other stuff. His tutorial is what it is, a good entry point for beginners. It's no Holy Grail, and he isn't making it out to be.

I do understand the concern here noted by po, josh and kaijin on the matter, but the guide is what it is - nothing more. I'm not even sure I'd call this a guide or tutorial. It's almost more of a canon/group of information that I think is beneficial for novice mixers. Like I said, I understand the concers and can agree on some level. However, there are concerns that Zircon isn't experienced enough to write these things, but if he isn't who can or will? No one has done so, since Jivemaster. I don't agree one has to necessarily be a legend in the scene or have a degree in music to write something of this nature either. Accessibility of information of this nature and of this level is certainly most helpful for the majority of people - remember, most mixers in the scene haven't been around for more than a few months/year or two. I feel anyone who can consistently get several mixes up at OCR is capable of writing guides on the topic. Again, it is what it is. I don't have a doubt that the good of his "guide", ultimately outweighs the bad here.

As far as the other issues, if you have something to say about his recommendations, etc. Those are probably better dealt with in the remixing forum or out of this thread.

Everyone just chill. Things got a bit heated above and it's better not to involve our moderation if possible. Let's move on before this escalates.

..., but if he isn't who can or will? No one has done so, since Jivemaster.

You forgot about me, thanks.

I feel anyone who can consistently get several mixes up at OCR is capable of writing guides on the topic.

Okay this just sounded as "if you don't have enough tracks on OCR, your tutorials/guides/helpings at Remixing101 are nothing worth".

Careful, Gray.

But you're right on one thing... that discussion has nothing to do here if it goes any further.

..., but if he isn't who can or will? No one has done so, since Jivemaster.

You forgot about me, thanks.

I feel anyone who can consistently get several mixes up at OCR is capable of writing guides on the topic.

Okay this just sounded as "if you don't have enough tracks on OCR, your tutorials/guides/helpings at Remixing101 are nothing worth".

Careful, Gray.

But you're right on one thing... that discussion has nothing to do here if it goes any further.

Nah, you're misreading into things. Anyone who has demonstrated abilities or knowledge, certainly can write one, however, getting mixes posted consistently is tangible proof of a certain level of understanding. We're talking about basic guides here, not rocket-science.

Still it's like "the more tracks you have on OCR, the more your knowledge is accepted at the boards - else you're nothing". It's what you just wrote.

I have no tracks (I don't count that PE Remix as "own" track) on OCR, but engineered a bunch. Does that mean I'm inferior? Does that mean I'm also a noob? Actually your words are very misleading and also a bit threatening. Please don't try to talk yourself out of it.

Still it's like "the more tracks you have on OCR, the more your knowledge is accepted at the boards - else you're nothing". It's what you just wrote.

I have no tracks (I don't count that PE Remix as "own" track) on OCR, but engineered a bunch. Does that mean I'm inferior? Does that mean I'm also a noob? Actually your words are very misleading and also a bit threatening. Please don't try to talk yourself out of it.

Compy, there's obviously misunderstanding going on. I stated one set of facts, I was not dismissing or putting down the other set.

you know what does piss me off..

I use a fucking 1500 dollar piece of shit equipment for my music .. ( the instruments i use ) and just because i'm too lazy to add a SHITload of reverb .. to make it sound more 'real' my shit get's rejected .. and people complain about sample quality.. while i fucking know arrangement wise it's as good as 60 percent of the tracks that ARE posted .. fuck that shit. and it's at least 'properly' produced .. yes.. for once i rant.

thanks.