VST, DirectX instruments and effects thread

DM Lee

I'm looking for a good free vst. Something with a lot of power.

"Something with a lot of power" is pretty vague.

So I'll link you to a bunch of free industrial synths.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=d&c=208

LooPKiD, I'm sorry to say, SampleTank 2 is not free.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/28.html

There is a "Sampletank Free" you can get but it's limited

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/141.html

JamesXIIC - That really helped, thanks mate.

As I'm posting, I find it annoying that I can't have fun reversing samples in ST2. I can't seem to find any function that allows you to do this in ST2 and FL only lets you do it with wav samples. Is there perhaps a VST of some sort that could do this? I don't know if that's even possible.

My only other solution is to write a certain part backwards, save it as a wav and reverse it in sound recorder and put it back into the mix, but that wastes so much time and so much pointless effort.

I'm also looking for a decent free vocoder VST, anyone know of one?

Fruity Loops has a Vocoder in it man....just to let you know. It's an effect though but it's pretty good (128 band one). Look up the "Vocoder" template on FL Studio and it should show you how to use it. If not I'll happily try and explain. :)

As for reversing Sampletank samples I think you are just gonna have to do the WAV dumps unfortunately. I don't think there will be a free VST that can do that for you. I doubt most VST samplers come with WAV editing abilities.

I'm glad that my advice helped you sort out Sampletank 2 though. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I needs some help.

I thought I could do well with good, free soundfonts, but now I am at the point where I need professional grade instruments to play on Fruity Loops 4. Does not have to be the greatest, most finely tuned virtual instruments in the world (not the $900 orchestral bundle with 6,000 samples with minor sonic differences etc.) but something where I can get a large quantity of pianos, guitars, organs, synths, strings, pads, effects, drums etc. that are a good cut above the soundfont range of quality for around $150 or so.

Any ideas....? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

So I got the Trial version of "Izotope's Ozone"

Unfortunetely im very poor and can't afford that prog. for myself. :cry:

So im wondering if there are any free Vst(i)'s out there that are a bit similar or near the capabilities of Ozone.. .

Hope you guys can help..

Thnx in advance..

• 1 month later...
OK, I needs some help.

I thought I could do well with good, free soundfonts, but now I am at the point where I need professional grade instruments to play on Fruity Loops 4. Does not have to be the greatest, most finely tuned virtual instruments in the world (not the $900 orchestral bundle with 6,000 samples with minor sonic differences etc.) but something where I can get a large quantity of pianos, guitars, organs, synths, strings, pads, effects, drums etc. that are a good cut above the soundfont range of quality for around $150 or so.

Any ideas....? Thanks.

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-161

Awesome for orchestral. Have it, love it.

• 1 month later...

OK I was looking at some screenshots from Garritan Personal Orchestra and saw that there seem to be 3 separate groups of instruments: Wet, Dry and Multis. Multis seem to be like groups of preset instruments but wet and dry have the same instruments?! What's the difference??

Hey guys, I recently got Ableton 5.0 and I really want to use it for some new synthesizers and such. Since I have basically just used Reason for synths I have no idea what kind of VST to get. Can anyone point me in the direction of a free vsti resembling (at least loosely) the maelstrom or something like that? Also, a good limiter is second on my "to get" list, but I cant find one I like. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to double post, but does anyone have or have used Z3TA+? It looks friggin awesome, but I hear it isn't as amazing as you'd think... :?

i'll just say that its versatility is a tradeoff.

if you're looking to make trance, its only real forte is bass.

other than that, the synth leads are kinda weak. nice arps, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The synth used in "Jump" was a big ol' Oberheim OB-Xa. Oberheims were analog synths capable of the most monstrous, earth-shaking basses around.. many people consider them to be even better at that than Moog synths. Anyway, the patch itself is more or less a simple subtractive patch that can be replicated on any good VA synth (even Superwave P8 I think has a Jump patch, could be wrong). However for the exact Oberheim sound you're out of luck. There are no synth emulations of them because of licensing issues.