VST, DirectX instruments and effects thread

DM Lee

I think you are thinking of the coarse knobs (when you say that only go by semitones). The coarse is what you can adjust to make one oscillator a semitone, tone, to an octave or two higher...

The fine tuning works with cents, far less than a basic coarse adjuster. Fine tuning tunes in degrees smaller than note of a single note distance. If you wanted to do what you just described you would still move each note up one half step (440 to 476, 220 to 238) but for the oscillator of the 238 you can adjust the fine tuning to reach values of each hz inbetween that and the next semi tone.

Fine tuning is basically to get to all the frequencies between the fundamental note frequencies.

You are probably wanting something that does this automatically after you've set up the amounts right?

This seems to me like it might sound ok when the notes are even octaves apart but once you start raising notes you will just run into more and more dissonance until you reach some point where the harmonic levels are a fifth apart or something.

• 2 weeks later...
Um, is there an acid vsti anywhere thats free or atr least has a demo? Like the one acid in Outer Space Machine by Relik. Ive been searchign and all i find is ACID Pro.
I'd recommend buying Muon Tau Pro 2. It's not the most accurate TB-303 emulator, in fact it hardly sounds like TB, but it costs only $20 and you can make some really sweet acid sounds with it. You should at least try out the demo.

Um, is there an acid vsti anywhere thats free or atr least has a demo? Like the one acid in Outer Space Machine by Relik. Ive been searchign and all i find is ACID Pro.

Rellik uses 3xosc a lot for that type of sound.

If you want THE tb303 emulation, you want Audiorealism Bassline.. but you can get those distorted sounds with the 3xosc just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hardware synth fans listen up:

I'm looking for a VSTi that sounds similar to the oldschool "Roland XV5080" rack synthesizer (because 1200 bucks is still a bit much to get this thing new). It doesn't matter if it's commercial or not, but it has to sounds like that oldschool synthesizer, not some "new instrument" sh*t that I can find over at KVR every day.

If you have an idea and it's not NI Reaktor, then please post your suggestions here. Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I have a question about Edirol Orchestral and FLStudio 5.

Edirol is a plug-in that contains many different instruments inside the one thing - how do I set it so each instrument has its own piano roll?

As it is, I have a different instance of edirol open for every instrument, which is reallllly slowing my computer a lot.

If anyone can help me, that'd be great.

~Hadyn

EDIT: Nevermind, Dragonlord saved the day :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well darn. So I just came into the labs for a good weekend trial and I found out that the Super Quartet disc has gone awol. Not good. o_O

So yeah, is there any way that I can be hooked up with VSTs relating to piano, bass, drums and *ACOUSTIC* guitar? Most preferably of the live performance type?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm searching for something that'll give me a really 'spwangy' and clean bass sound, can be synthish but semi-realism is preferred.

What do you mean by spwangy?

Thanks for actually responding (hehe) but I got roughly what I was looking for with a plain bass soundfont and some automated EQ. It's a bit messy but it works.

spwangy= Clean, hardly any trill or vibrato but possibly very slightly, some boosting of the middle-high frequencies especially near the beginning. Like a slap bass without the hardness and with more sustain, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Im looking for some heavy, clean hitting drums, sort of Industrial like, anyone know where I dig some up? :wink:

Can't you just add a distortion effect (like FL's blood overdrive) and EQ it correctly whilst putting in notes at probably half their velocity? Not sure if it works but it sounds right in my head.

I'm sure there are some good thick sounding drumkits on hammersound or somewhere that could work with this effects trick.

OK, I dunno how many people will be into this, but I thought I'd share, cuz it's 2! 2! 2 VSTs in one handy runtime executable!

Yes, It's the Nokia Audio Suite 1.1. To make a long story short, it's a VST that emulates the sound almost every modern Nokia cell-phone (even the N-Gage).

It has two VST's, one is the tone-generation (or PCM MIDI) portion, and the other VST is a SPEAKER MODELLER. Yes, if you want a crazy effect, THIS IS IT.

Try it out, according to MusicThing:

The plugins are free. Registration involves two separate email confirmations, but they don't seem to care who you are.

http://forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,034-62,00.html

Useless? Definitely. Cool? Absolutely.

EDIT: Dunno how well it works oustside of Cubase. X__X

• 3 weeks later...
I have pretty much the same question as Hadyn. Except with ST2, I don't like to open different channels for it as it does really slow down the computer and it gets hard to mix after a while. So how do you have different piano rolls for instruments with only one ST2 channel?

If you is talking about ST2 and FL Studio I can help ya, a'ight? :P

It's pretty simple but there is one disadvantage I can't get myself around. See when you load ST2 each sound has a channel number? Far, far left of the ST2 interface, usually 1-16?

Say you put a guitar in channel one and a bass on channel two as below.

HelpLow1-new.jpg

Now there is a box in the RIGHT UPPER corner called port? Set the port to "x", i.e. a number you want. In this case 1.

HelpLow2-new.jpg

In this picture the channel is linked to the guitar, (MIDI channel 1 on port 1 as set in Sampletank). Therefore all the piano roll for this channel will play notes from the Sampletank guitar on MIDI channel 1.

To set up the bass guitar on MIDI channel 2, port 1 just make another "MIDI Out" channel like before but change the "MIDI channel" to 2 instead of 1 like before, as pictured now. The piano roll will now represent the Sampletank bass.

HelpLow3-new.jpg

Hope this helps. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got ReFX Vanguard and I'm pretty happy with it so far. There's one problem, though: it always lets out this annoying sound that sounds a bit like a filter squeak. It can't be the filter though, as I've tried opening up the filter completely and it just wouldn't go away. Even all the presets have the same problem, which seems quite odd. Now, it's not too annoying, because most of the time it easily drowns in the mix, but I'd like to get rid of it completely.

Check out this sample. Anyone else encountered this problem and maybe know how to solve it?

JamesXIIC - That really helped, thanks mate.

As I'm posting, I find it annoying that I can't have fun reversing samples in ST2. I can't seem to find any function that allows you to do this in ST2 and FL only lets you do it with wav samples. Is there perhaps a VST of some sort that could do this? I don't know if that's even possible.

My only other solution is to write a certain part backwards, save it as a wav and reverse it in sound recorder and put it back into the mix, but that wastes so much time and so much pointless effort.

I'm also looking for a decent free vocoder VST, anyone know of one?

• 3 weeks later...