OCR01880 - Final Fantasy IV "Somewhere to Hide"

djpretzel

Striking stuff. About the most memorable track from the new FF4 album... There's something very catchy about the simple vocal punchline: this could easily be a big time radio hit (at least in Finland). Besides that the sounds and production are brilliant.

I'm not usually a fan of electronic music but this reminds me much of "Breakbeat Era" that I used to dig a lot for some odd reason.. Catchy, athmospheric, nice female vocals and yet very rocking.. Also reminds me of Tekken sound track, which is nice!

Superb work!

• 2 weeks later...

This remix was last seen walking in traffic, pushing a wheelbarrow carrying its huge brass balls.

In no way belittling the rest of the album, this is one of my favorites. Interesting, considering Beatsmith was one of my VotL favorites. Way to live up to your namesake, champ.

Assuming I've pegged where you got your name, that is.

Since I have no idea when I'll manage to fully review the album, it would be folly not to comment on this track. I almost feel bad saying so but this seems to be one of the tracks that is really standing out to everyone including myself so far, and with good reason.

I really love the slow intro which is more along the lines of the source, which changes pretty drastically without completely alienating the original once the beat jumps in. The vocals really take the song to the next level, despite the fact that there isn't much variety to them, they work very well in the context of the original, with Kain and Golbez hiding "somewhere" in the Tower waiting for you to find them.

• 4 months later...

God DAMN this song is insane. One of those ones that I love to crank up as loud as I can and see if I can catch anybody's attention with it, because that's exactly what this mix does; it grabs your attention and doesn't let go. The phat bass and breathy vocals are a perfect combination, and while some of the sound effects and transitions get a bit tired by the time the mix is over, I love the overall sound design and the sheer ballsiness of this song!

You took a stylistic risk but it paid off in the form of, what I think, is the best pure-electronic song on the album! :-D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This track is pretty. The effects during the intro have a really cool gramophone sound that shuts off into the hard synths and LaFevre's soaring vocals. I think that it's really cool how sharp the synths sound, but I feel like the track doesn't have a strong enough bass beat - though what it does have is really awesome.

That's probably my love of heavy beats speaking though.

The ending of the track is a nice restructuring and heavier section, and though the vocals are minimized (and a bit of serious vocoding) I think its an excellent climax ~> ending.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01880 - Final Fantasy IV "Somewhere to Hide"