New Super Mario Bros. Wii

BardicKnowledge

Being that this is a music site, I'm suprised nobody mentioned how the koopas and goombas dance to the music. It adds a whole level of interaction - if you know that break (wah wah) is coming and you're timing a platform jump with enemies, you know they'll stop moving for a second to dance.

Agree with Bleck on the propeller suit - as much fun as it was, the cape in SMW could be used to skip entire levels basically. Having a suit with that much range wouldn't work in the multiplayer as well (even the penguin suit can make the screen go by so fast that the other players get killed off screen quick). So yea I really like what they did here.

I have to say I like two players better than four - it's a really different dynamic. Four is good for parties and just playing around, but with two you can really coordinate and help each other push through the levels together.

Being that this is a music site, I'm suprised nobody mentioned how the koopas and goombas dance to the music.

Probably because they did it on the DS, too. It was even a little more interactive then, with the jumping stacks of blocks that could give you a boost.

I love that the stage selection maps are more unique now. It makes the progression through each world more satisfying somehow.

Also, I just went on a dying spree on one of the hidden levels. Parts of the game are pretty tricky. I approve.

- I think I remember the castle music being the same as the DS one, I don't remember.

The fortress theme is a remix (and a pretty good one) of the DS tower theme. The castle theme references the Super Mario World castle theme, and it's kind of similar to the DS one, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly new. I actually like the fortress music better this time around.

I've heard some scattered references to the DS version music elsewhere, but they're usually a pretty small part of a new song. Like the tropical overworld theme.

It's justifiable. Don't discount it (ha ha get it?) just because it's 2D.

I feel like I'd end up beating it in a few days and never playing it again. And then it's like, "well, there goes 50 bucks".

Although tbh I'm having a hard time justifying any game purchase these days, except for the ones with good online play that I know I'll get a ton of playtime out of. Broke college student, etc etc.

I had a few drinks yesterday and I talked my friend into driving me over to the game store down the street and I bought it. I played it some last night, and had trouble putting it down. When I woke up this morning, I ran down the stairs like an excited little kid and immediately turned the game back on. I'm halfway through desert world right now. I have a couple hours of work to do, and I'm firing this game back up. This game takes way longer than other 2D Mario games. I don't think anyone will have any trouble justifying the price tag on this one because I can see this one taking longer than some RPGs if you're willing to collect everything, plus multi-player is a lot of fun. Too many good 2D games out on Wii right now. I haven't even gotten to Muramasa yet.

I don't know for sure, but there's a homage to each of the original Super Mario Bros. games around each corner. The item system from Super Mario Bros. 3 is back, and it even has a item-winning card game that's very similar to the original, and there's even some level layouts and enemies that suggest Super Mario Bros 2. The play control is similar to that of Super Mario Bros. 1, but much a little looser. And all of the Koopa Kids are back. And sometimes the Koopas will stop and dance to accents in the music, even when you're about to stomp it's head in. It's very funny, and weird in a breaking-the-fourth wall way.

My only complaint so far is the cave level with limited lighting. I hated that shit in Donkey Kong Country and I still hate it now.

My only complaint so far is the cave level with limited lighting. I hated that shit in Donkey Kong Country and I still hate it now.

Oh man, I love those levels! Usually I rush through levels but those dark ones force me to be patient and take my time. And I can push my teammates into the abyss.

That's always alright by me. ;)