OCR01959 - Radical Dreamers "Thrash's Snakebone Pit"

djpretzel

An updated track from Thieves of Fate? :shock: Cool! I'm down. :<

I like how this was described as a super spy version; it really feels like a Guitar Hero meets Bond influence is going on here. Plus the textures throughout this mix are amazing, almost physically tangible. This was a pretty fun to listen to, and I'm really glad OA was able to go back and spruce this one up. Truly an astounding mix.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think I've grown so used to the mixing on the Thieves of Fate version that I can't really stand hearing a version mastered differently, even if it is objectively better. I'm just weird like that, I guess :tomatoface:

The arrangement is probably my least favorite of your Radical Dreamers songs, but there's still a lot to like about the spy movie-esque bass and the variety of different guitar patterns you've got going on. Very cohesive and well-written, the song doesn't show any age whatsoever, though it's clear that you've only improved since this was created, OA :-)

I'm very glad OA went back to this mix, and I'm glad that it made the frontpage where a lot of people will get to listen to it. Radical Dreamers had a pretty awesome soundtrack that influenced the (admittedly more awesome) Chrono Cross soundtrack. Being able to take a mix to it's roots and really give it treatment like this is way cool.

This also gives a good comparison to how much OA has improved since the RD project when I first started talking to him. Very sneaky, very kick ass, and very awesome. I think the strings really bring out the tension with the lead guitar.

Nice work.

This track is one of my favorites from the Radical Dreamers project...I think I also listened to the updated mix in one of those game music podcasts (the name escapes me right now). Either way, have nothing constructive to say because I love everything about this mix even before the update. Love the orchestral breakdown in the beginning followed by the seamless transition to the guitar riffs. You know something's epic is about to happen each time to listen to this track.

Now why hasn't "Thieves of Fate" been submitted? It's one of the catchiest vocal tracks in the site for crying out loud...I still listen to it from time to time and sing along.

So I'm totally psyched that not only this remix got posted, but that OA actually took my advice and even remastered it, and of course that I actually got credited for the former two actions. ^_^

I actually like the original better in some ways. The opening bass notes sound darker and straighter, and it's louder as well, making the piece seem more... evil, I guess. The remastered version's bass seems to be a bit understated. The bass is really what makes this piece for me, and it just seems too bright (in comparison, anyway) in the remaster.

Remastered has much nicer drums, and I like the synth beats going in the background. The strings are more powerful, too; I love the new strings throughout and how they're much more of a presence. The lead guitar sounds even more chaotic than it used to which is nice at some points, but the ending is just disappointing; you can barely hear its cool riff, and the octave higher note is almost nonexistent, which in the original makes the ending for me.

I haven't listened to the remaster enough yet to decide which I like better, but I'll probably be sticking with the original. The remaster has some tempting new strings and synths, but the original's bass and atmosphere are just, well, better, in my opinion. I dunno. I could still swing the other way.

On a positive note, it's easy to tell how much OA has improved since then. His production skills have definitely skyrocketed.

Now why hasn't "Thieves of Fate" been submitted? It's one of the catchiest vocal tracks in the site for crying out loud...I still listen to it from time to time and sing along.

P.S. It's not just one of the catchiest, it's quite possibly the greatest vocal remix from a video game of all time. But that's just me.

When I heard the original on the project after its release, I didn't think that production could be that much improved.

I was very wrong. So very wrong. The improvements seem huge when I listen to them side-by-side.

It's not the easiest thing to go back to a song that one's "closed the book on" and attempt to clean it up, but I'm glad you did here. I'll join Avaris in giving some ASS PATS here. :nicework:

I realized that what I said may have been taken the wrong way - that I dislike this song. That's far from the truth. This remaster is easily one of my favorites of OA's remixes, and that's saying a lot. I've listened to it several more times, and my original comparison critiques still hold true - I especially dislike the weaksauce ending - but it's an awesome song. It's just compared to the original, I like many aspects of the original better. But does this remaster score big on its own merits? Heck yeah. You can bet it's gonna be in my Awesome Playlist along with the original.

I think I figured out what I didn't like with the opening - it sounds too... organic. The synths. I much prefer the original's opening; it sounds darker, more mechanical, with its straight strings and throbbing bass.

Job very well done, OA, thanks a ton. =D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh, a tense dark ReMix! I love those strings you added in the intro and the drums back them up nicely right before the metal opens up at the end of the first minute. Sounds really evil until the break, but still maintains a slightly menacing feel with the guitar. Wonderful work with the guitar solos and the overall arrangement. It's got a monstrous attitude and this is going' right in my playlist.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01959 - Radical Dreamers "Thrash's Snakebone Pit"