Final Fantasy XIII

AJ-enova

SAKAGUCHI IS FF.

9 out of 10 new games suck according to Gamefly

There's no reason to start name-calling, especially if you intend for anyone to take your opinion seriously. :-(

The loss of Sakaguchi has brought such ground-breaking Square-enix RPGs such as The Last Remnant, Final Fantasy 12, Infinite Undiscovery, well I did like Star Ocean 4 but that was tri-ace. I think I made my point though. I never even finished FF12. Game was a disjointed mess. Final Fantasy 13 will be the make or break moment as far as I'm concerned...

I think you guys are both wrong. There is no "tried and true" formula that FF games conform to. They do different things in every game. They just also have recurring themes such as airships, moogles, and being an RPG. There is no FF game that is less of an FF game than any other. If you guys believe there is a formula, then I'd like to hear exactly what it is. I don't think having a good story and character development counts as a formula.

By the way, FF8 and FF12 both rock, and battles systems can be understandable if you try to understand them.

EDIT: Here's some additional information about FF13. There are six whole copies of the game sitting at my local used media shop.

The only point that was wrong is that FFX does not actually have ATB. FFX's battle system is purely turn based.

just played through it a little while ago. there's both an ATB and a turn-based system that you can choose through the options. if you sit in a menu long enough, the enemy will attack regardless, though.

oink, i wasn't making fun of you. i was making fun of lunar, who was dumb enough to try and convince me that his opinion was right because it was his. i should point out that those games all sucked because Squeenix has been working continually on an FF game - be it FFXI, XII, XIII, or the major knockoffs like Versus and the handheld games - with a large-scale team since 2003, when X-2 came out. yes, X-2 was a joke, on purpose, making fun of half the team that left after X. those knockoff games have sold a ridiculous amount of copies, though - copies that likely would have sold anyways (except for crappy core) under other labels, because they were bloody good games.

as for the six copies in the local game shop, my old store had five copies of modern warfare within a week of the game being out. how long's it been out in j-land?

just played through it a little while ago. there's both an ATB and a turn-based system that you can choose through the options. if you sit in a menu long enough, the enemy will attack regardless, though.

Totally not true -- I've answered the door midbattle and nothing happens. It's compeltely turn based...which isn't a bad thing IMO.

About the plot, they tend to be hit-or-miss: FF12 was terrible, FFX was good, FFIX was purposely more light-hearted and not comparable to the others, FFVIII was an emo trainwreck trying to be FFVII again.

With the first 6 they tend to alternate between "good gameplay" and "good plot". Only FFVI really has both -- FFIV has super-simple level-based gameplay, and FFV has the awesome job system but a lackluster plot.

I want to go back to FF12 for a second. It was the best battle system ever conceived easily. It made grinding simple (which was good, because there was a fuckton of grinding to do) and streamlined the game in a GOOD way.

From what I have heard, FF13 is streamlining the game in what I consider a BAD way. Completely super-linear the first 30 hours? That was the big criticism of FFX (best plot of the series IMO). I really hope that the game isn't "hold up, win fights" as much as people say.

Luckily, I'm off to Italy for two weeks tomorrow, so I'll be able to read the reviews from everyone else here before I decide to buy it. :P

Totally not true -- I've answered the door midbattle and nothing happens. It's compeltely turn based...which isn't a bad thing IMO.

maybe i wasn't clear. if you're in, say, a magic window, the game pauses (unless you have it set to total real-time battling). if you're on the attack/magic/fail/run window, it'll go on forever. that was my problem in the game - i tend to do a lot of thinking when i get there instead of beforehand, and i'd get my arse handed to me by simple bosses because i wasn't sure what i wanted to do.

Eh.. I've played so many short games lately that if there's really just 30 hours of linear fighting, I'll probably be tired of it after 5 or 6 hours. :z

is this a good thing :<

The problem with X wasn't the fact that it was linear, although if you're gonna make the game a relative straight line, please get rid of random battles, which is what they're doing with FFXIII.

The problem with X was the STUPID "puzzling" sections they added in the different temples.

Oh ho ho! Too right, the cloister of trials bit were arse! So was the music for them lol

My problem with FFX was the battles actually - it got so tedious swapping people in so everyone would get exp, so when I got up to Mt. Gagazet, it just broke me and I just wanted to get done with the game asap.

Yeah thats why I prefered ones like 7 where everyone's pretty much capable of anything (apart from Individual Limit Breaks)

And in VIII (However much it was fucked) you could swap people with the junction system and that would be that lol

As I have said to friends before who liked the idea, if they just changed the amount you could junction from 100 to 50, it would make VIII's engine so much better. You wouldn't feel so forced to melee only in that game.

As much as I hate the story, the battle engine, if worked on, would be welcomed back by me in another installment.

My problem with FFX was the battles actually - it got so tedious swapping people in so everyone would get exp, so when I got up to Mt. Gagazet, it just broke me and I just wanted to get done with the game asap.

to an extent, i agree. i generally just used three or four characters and used the rest on specific battles (like, lulu with flans, wakka with fliers). i also like that they made the switches so quick, so there wasn't a lot of wasted time (like in x-2 when you didn't have the dressphere changes shut off).

see, i really liked having such specific character classes. tidus was statuses and melee, auron was a melee tank, wakka was long-range and accuracy with damage, lulu was pure magic, yuna was white mage, rikku was an item whore (al bhed potions!), etc. it meant you had to use some strategy and not just use the same three characters the whole game. i did anyways, but i used my alts a lot more than most people tried to do.

i've let my game sit in battle for well over an hour with no controller input and without ever being attacked. i don't have the game anymore to verfiy this, but i'm about 99.9% positive there is no ATB option in FFX.

/ot

I still think X2 had the most fun and engaging battle system of any of the Final Fantasy's thus far.. but I'm eager to see 13, I bet its good stuff.

You'll love Final Fantasy XIII's battle system then. Pretty fast paced and actiony, as well as strategic.

Also FFVIII could be tedius, although it was somewhat lessened by being able to refine spells from cards, items, and draw points, which are things I did religiously. Also, why did you HAVE to have ultima or whatever spell junctioned and/or never used it? After a certain point, most -aga spells were more than enough to keep all your stats maxed. There were plenty of options within the system. If anything, I think that FFVIII did it's best to make things seem as "realistic" as possible(other than the plot, but that's another can of worms).

Fuck I wanna play VIII again. Gotta beat Okami before Tuesday though...