Super Mario Galaxy 2

JoeFu

Then I can still play Mario 64 and hear the original version of the song, which I still enjoy, despite not being a huge Kondo fan. His stuff suits Mario, but on it's own I don't care for it. But great music just makes for great music. If a game isn't fun to begin with then just buy the soundtrack.

Either way though, I hated Mario Sunshine and Galaxy, so despite Nintendo's shameless attempt to make a grab for my sense of Mario 64 nostalgia (and pad the length of the game with as little effort as possible), I won't be touching this one. Maybe if someone I know eventually gets it and I can try it out, but my hopes are not high.

Then I can still play Mario 64 and hear the original version of the song, which I still enjoy, despite not being a huge Kondo fan. His stuff suits Mario, but on it's own I don't care for it. But great music just makes for great music. If a game isn't fun to begin with then just buy the soundtrack.

Either way though, I hated Mario Sunshine and Galaxy, so despite Nintendo's shameless attempt to make a grab for my sense of Mario 64 nostalgia (and pad the length of the game with as little effort as possible), I won't be touching this one. Maybe if someone I know eventually gets it and I can try it out, but my hopes are not high.

...What the hell are you smoking that you liked 64 but hated Galaxy? Sunshine I could kinda see, some of it was 'eh' (Although I loved it) but what the balls.

The levels in Galaxy were for the most part far too small. Then when they gave you larger levels, it tended to not really matter because you had to get the stars in the order they told you to, usually because parts of the levels weren't even accessible unless you did. A lot of the fun in Mario 64 was exploring the levels, and even stumbling on stars out of order. Very few levels in 64 required you get any stars in a specific order, whereas I felt like Galaxy was holding my hand for fear that I not be able to find something on my own.

Toss in the boring suits (including that god awful spring suit), the occasional level that required the use of motion controls (which I hate), low difficulty curve and a terrible camera system and by the time I had gotten most of the stars in the game I realized I was playing hoping it would get better, not because I was actually enjoying it.

And to pre-empt people on the camera thing; yes the pre-set camera angles worked most of the time, but I often found myself wanting to rotate it for a better angle on something and couldn't (and sometimes could somewhat but wouldn't try because Nintendo spent half the game telling me I couldn't control it), especially on the larger levels. The entire game was basically an exercise in frustration. I won't say Mario 64's camera was perfect (it's probably the worst thing about the game), but it worked well enough 99% of the time, and at least I could rotate the damn thing when needed.

I'll echo the idea of Mario 64's open levels being the ideal design. I dislike having to select which star to find, which traps me in a linear path from start to finish.

That being said, Galaxy is still the best game on the Wii (with only Metroid Prime Trilogy coming close), and more of the best can't be bad. Picking this one up asap.

I'll echo the idea of Mario 64's open levels being the ideal design. I dislike having to select which star to find, which traps me in a linear path from start to finish.

That being said, Galaxy is still the best game on the Wii (with only Metroid Prime Trilogy coming close), and more of the best can't be bad. Picking this one up asap.

But Mario 64 also had you select what star to find :-(

But Mario 64 also had you select what star to find :-(

Mario 64 did it in such a way that didn't lock you out of exploring the rest of the level. Also, you could find multiple stars that you weren't looking for: in the first area, you can get the cannon island star, the chomp star, or the king-bobomb star all by selecting the first one.

Mario 64 did it in such a way that didn't lock you out of exploring the rest of the level. Also, you could find multiple stars that you weren't looking for: in the first area, you can get the cannon island star, the chomp star, or the king-bobomb star all by selecting the first one.

True, but on the other hand, in Galaxy you weren't limited to playing the same level 5 times before you could try a new one. Galaxy opens a new level every 2 stars or so, so there's plenty more to try out.

Agreed. I thought this was the biggest thing that prevented Galaxy from being as good as 64