3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

Once again guys, the 3DS is only $169.99 at Costco right now! I can verify this, since I just got back from one.

This is by far the best time to get it! You'll not get a better deal! $80 off plus 20 free downloadable games! If you're even considering getting one, do it now before August 12!

So I bought Steel Diver today. It's... eh. Can't say I'm happy with it. It's not a crappy game, it's just strictly a sim. No plot, the scenario is bare-bones and vague, not to mention difficult to believe (three submarines is all the world can muster against the hundreds of a "rogue nation?"), and it can be pretty slow-paced.

But it still feels neat to, say, down a ship using the periscope view. I guess the game is just kinda difficult to get into.

Once again guys, the 3DS is only $169.99 at Costco right now! I can verify this, since I just got back from one.

This is by far the best time to get it! You'll not get a better deal! $80 off plus 20 free downloadable games! If you're even considering getting one, do it now before August 12!

Done and done. :) Thanks for the heads up guys, this is a really sweet deal.

Hate to say it but every single Nintendo handheld has spawned multiple, better iterations. No way I'm buying a 3DS now when I can wait a year or two and get a 3DS Lite, which will no doubt be better and probably cheaper too. I did this with the DS Lite + GBASP and it was worth the wait. This is a good deal but there will be better ones for bargain hunters like me.

Yeah, right now my dilemma is "buy an original model 3DS at a reduced price with hardly any games to play on it now; support the 3DS so it might shake off this "failure" stigma" or "wait til they redesign/lower the price even more possibly, and a slew of games I want are available for it". Hmm.

No place in the US has the system at a reduced price as of right now, do they? I'd like to get in on the free games, if possible, if I decide to pick up the system before the price officially goes down. :|

That's the thing though. Aside from a bigger battery (not necessarily a longer-lasting battery, mind you), what can they really do to make a better 3DS?

Battery technology is pretty much at its limit right now. Lithium batteries are the smallest we can get while still keeping a decent amount of electrical charge. There are longer lasting batteries out there, but they are either much bigger, or really expensive. If you think the $250 price of the 3DS was bad, wait until they have to recoup the cost of a $300 to $600 custom made battery. Even then, it might have other disadvantages.

As for size, the 3DS is almost identical to the DS Lite, and that was a very compact system, even with its GBA slot. The DSi was also a very close size, with being only a few millimeters thinner.

They might be able to get a more energy efficient 3DS display, but if it's too different from the current system it may not be feasible to upgrade or replace it.

I don't doubt that Nintendo will find a way to market another model of the 3DS in the future; I'm just doubting they will be able to do anything that remarkably improves upon what it is already. There are just some technical limitations that aren't easy to overcome.

No place in the US has the system at a reduced price as of right now, do they? I'd like to get in on the free games, if possible, if I decide to pick up the system before the price officially goes down. :|

There are some stores that will price-match after you buy it, just make sure about which places will actually do it. Best Buy is supposed to be honoring it, depending upon their membership status, I think.

New colors and limited editions, most likely. I really don't see what they could do to improve the design, besides maybe a sturdier circle pad and less draining screens, maybe better cameras? But those would hardly be worth it. This current model is extremely compact, and just holding it you can tell how well designed it is: it's much more solid than any of the DSs. Plus with Nintendo's financial issue, they'd only be shooting themselves even worse in the foot to release another model within the next year and a half.

And @ OCRE, you forgot about the 20 free games you'd get by buying it right now. Really this is the best deal for a long time I'd say.

Fine. 20 "bonus" games.

Picross DS is awesome, and so is Picross 3D. Get both. I'm thinking of getting Mario's picross (even though I think all of its puzzles are in Picross DS) because it's cheap and it would be nice to have those puzzles available any time.

I'm reading this rather interesting article about all the "other" handhelds that have appeared and subsequently died less-than glamorous deaths, and I see some interesting things about some of them.

For instance, the notorious Nokia N-Gage. It shipped at a higher price than the GameBoy Advance (or just about any other portable in history) of $300 US. It was superior in just about ever way. Due to incredibly poor sales, it was price-dropped within weeks of launch, as opposed to the months it took for the 3DS.

The Neo Geo Pocket Color, released in 1999, sold slightly higher than the Game Boy Color. It also saw it's own rather quick price drop, though not as much as the N-Gage or the 3DS.

If we would count consoles as well, i wonder how many more examples of early price-cuts there would be, and see if the time between launch and price-cut, as well as the amount of said price drops, would be compared to the 3DS. Would it really seem to bad in comparison?

I suspect that a mix of entitlement and historical amnesia are what is making some people cry foul over the 3DSs own price drop. These people may simply not remember the other times it's happened to other systems.

Why are people still being so gloom and doom about this? They had a shit launch, yes, but they got their act together pretty quickly. By the end of the year they'll have a pretty decent library and a price drop in 4 days. Seriously, outside of analysts, ivory tower game journalists and a small section of the hardcore audience, consumers don't really give a fuck about the inner workings of the video game industry, and they sure as hell won't remember the 3DS being $250 bucks at launch. The rest who might care have adopted a "wait and see" stance.

On a related note, after heading to a Frys while in Houston this weekend I had a chance to catch a 3DS display in which I was able to tell whether or not I could see the 3D effect. Turns out I can! Gonna grab one at the end of the month with OoT3D and DOA: Dimensions.

Why are people still being so gloom and doom about this? They had a shit launch, yes, but they got their act together pretty quickly. By the end of the year they'll have a pretty decent library and a price drop in 4 days. Seriously, outside of analysts, ivory tower game journalists and a small section of the hardcore audience, consumers don't really give a fuck about the inner workings of the video game industry, and they sure as hell won't remember the 3DS being $250 bucks at launch. The rest who might care have adopted a "wait and see" stance.

On a related note, after heading to a Frys while in Houston this weekend I had a chance to catch a 3DS display in which I was able to tell whether or not I could see the 3D effect. Turns out I can! Gonna grab one at the end of the month with OoT3D and DOA: Dimensions.

Grab one before thursday from wal-mart or costco for $170, connect to the internet and get 20 free games!!

I really hope the rest of the GBA games are good ones. I don't want to see a pile of bargin-bin games thrown onto the VC just because "that's what we thought you guys wanted".

There were dozens of great GBA games, and most of them were Nintendo properties. There's no reason to give us multiple shit-titles that no one bought when they were in cartridge format.

Though, with the death of my Pokémon Ruby games battery, I could see them putting Emerald on it. But if history has taught us anything, Ruby and Sapphire will likely be remade sometime next year.

And then, around 2013, we'll be told about gen 6, and it will be on the 3DS, ad then we'll get Diamond and Pearl remakes for 2015, and then in gen 7...

Port usually implies a minimal amount of effort into moving the game from one system to another, leaving as much of the original intact.

Remake implies that while the core game mechanics are intact, other parts are updated with more modern equivalents, like artwork, music and audio effects.

For instance, The Legend of Zelda for the GameBoy Advance would be a port. Mario 2 for the GBA would be a remake, as it has new sprites, music that makes better use of the GBA sound hardware, voice samples, tuned controls, etc.

Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver would be remakes, as they not only updated all the graphics and audio, but also applied the current battle and stat systems, as well as connectivity to the current games at that time.

Ocarina of Time for the Wii Virtual Console (as well as the GameCube version on the collectors disc) would be a port, as they didn't significantly alter the game in any way, other than to make it work.