OCR01324 - Sonic & Knuckles "Tomorrow's Wake"

djpretzel

I could listen to this all night!!

Agreed. This is one of my favorite Sonic remixes, simply because its so catchy. I've woken up many a morn' with it running through my head (Not a bad thing, of course). I remember playing it when one of my friends was over at my house; afterwhich he had trouble pulling his jaw off the carpet :wink:

All in all, a beautiful remix with some real emotion packed behind the simple notes.

loved that stage, by the way 8)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From the opening notes, this piece made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and as it progressed brought on that choked up feeling that feels like you've almost got a tear in your eye, but you don't, and won't, but it still feels overwhelmingly like you do, though you couldn't hope to explain why if anyone asked. This and the Castlevania mix won me over. Rexy's work has this haunting kind of innocence to it that I can't wrap words around.

This is the kind of stuff that ruins my entire day if even the smallest noise is overheard during its playing, and reminds me that anything outside the song exists. And that's a very high compliment.

• 3 months later...

A very mellow piano piece, it sort of lulls you back and forth. I liked it when Rexy took up some speed around 1:60 and started to play on some brighter keys. I don't recognize the actual melody, but since some of the songs from that game haven't really got stuck in my memory, I guess I'll just have to play it just once more.

But overall, I liked this. Instead of playing many keys at once, it had its own pace and own rhytm and didn't have too much balls in the air at the same time. Wonderful arrangement, and well done.

This piece is simply amazing! The way you changed back and forth from piano to fortissimo at just the right times, slowed it down just enough to not really feel as if it too slow--but still keeping you wanting more.....Brings back many memories.

PS-Just so you know, the links to your music sheets seem to be down.

This piece is simply amazing! The way you changed back and forth from piano to fortissimo at just the right times, slowed it down just enough to not really feel as if it too slow--but still keeping you wanting more.....Brings back many memories.

PS-Just so you know, the links to your music sheets seem to be down.

Ah, that's because about a year ago, Herograw's .com server "a splode" in the words of Strongbadzone. I'll edit them later. It's just the same as the usual except they've moved towards his .org server instead.

Thanks again everyone :)

• 6 months later...

Actually, a nice soft rendition compared to the original, which I can't say is a bad thing.

I think the original can be a bit too hyper and bouncy/happy from the very beginning. It's nice to hear a rendition that really slows it down enough to appreciate the chord progression. LOVE the flat chords from the tonic.

Just my own thought, though, the chords, esp. the beginning sounded like it could have easily been mixed with the Triforce Chamber theme from Zelda: A Link to the Past. Would have been interesting to hear the two melodies interwoven w/ each other.

GREAT work, though.

• 1 year later...

I'm such a sucker for piano arrangements...

But I'm also a sucker for ReMixes that take a source soundtrack and completely turn it on its ear in terms of genre and composition. It's so nice to see a solo piano arrangement in the sea of electronica and the ilk that seems to flood the Sonic titles.

And this one certainly does it justice! It's relaxing, yet powerful, simply lovely to listen to.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've found that some of the fastest, happiest and brightest melodies make the best slow melancholy melodies as well. Not that this mix is all that melancholy, but the slowdown is still quite beneficial in a lot of ways.

The arrangement held my interest for the entirety, however the purpose of the mix was really unclear for me. The playing is in a middleground between powerful and relaxing. Not that all solo piano pieces should be one of those two categories, but in this mix especially, I started to think about the actual playing rather than what was being played. Maybe that's my problem and not that of the mixer's.

Anyway, for what this is, it does well. Obviously piano mixes don't aspire to be heralded among the mighty, but I'll always have time for them. Glad to hear another one, and a finely arranged one at that.

Let me take the time to answer your query, sir. :)

The keywords are in djp's description - melancoly, yet hopeful. So if there is a middleground between chill and energy, that's where the intension lies.

Work on the mix itself begun in November of 2004, where after spending 2 enjoyable months of University, I started to feel reflective regarding my return home for Christmas. The general feeling that I ended up having at the time were that I would have some highs and several lows, and whenever I end up experiencing lows, I would disregard it and think of doing my family proud.

It would also apply for similar situations that you might face. You may face several mishaps in life, but you gotta realise that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. (corny wording, I know, but it works!)

I hope this helps answer your question :)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Incredible piano playing in this ReMix. I enjoy hearing piano versions of quite a bit of game songs and it really is interesting that they can not only make the original sound good, but then be expanded and changed to a point where it sounds like a beautiful peace that was always meant for piano. Definitely added to the other piano ReMixes in my collection.

• 5 months later...

Can't go wrong with Sonic music, or with Rexy solo piano. :-) I really like this and the triumphant sound it forges. The velocity expression and the subtle looseness of the performance implies realism to me. I've heard live piano recordings with a less quality sample even in more modern times. Though I will admit that her recent acquisition of Alicia's Keys has done wonders for the quality of her solo pianos. This song is a lot more uplifting than some of her recent solo piano work that I've heard, and I do enjoy this a lot. But I love the more chaotic and dark side as well. The pacing on this is good, and the performance is smooth and very well performed.

• 2 weeks later...

As a big fan of Sky Sanctuary Zone. This warms my heart.

The piano line opening it up gives the image of floating and has a very playful fun nature.

Though at 0:50 it starts getting serious. This always reminds me of playing the stage.

I always go nuts at the landscape and part way through the stage realise that I could have fallen and died a lot.

I love piano remixes. This is easily one of my favourites too.

2:53 just makes me feel happy for my life. I love it sooo much. It's incredible.

And I must truly thank Rexy for making such an inspirational track.

It still inspires me today. I'd like to think there's a little bit of Rexy in my sound. ;-)

• 3 years later...

I think orchestra is the name of the game whan it come to Sky Sanctuary Zone, but Rexy really made it work with piano. And she did it amazingly! Somehow she managed to make her arrangement sound very inspiring and uplifting yet serious and gloomy. I believe this is probably my favorite arangement of SSZ. Especially love the gorgeous part from 2:23. Excellent!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01324 - Sonic & Knuckles "Tomorrow's Wake"