OCR01326 - Turrican II "The Desert Rocks vs. Concerto for Laser and Enemies"

djpretzel

Um... while not at all trancy, rather softer form of happy hardcore, which is good as I was just listening to a DJ Tyco set. This song would actually sound very sweet in a happy hardcore set actually with it being a very nice and obvious throwback to 80's dance music.

Bery nice, be it slightly compressed and trying to go through a lot a bit too quickly and so on but nice.

Can't say that I'm familiar with the source material, but this is pretty damn good in its own right. :) This mix has got a wide range of atmospheres throughout, from the mentioned happy hardcore portions at the start towards some more climatic Ratchet & Clank style progressions from around 0:38 to 0:59 to what can be shown to be what I feel is the main pulse of the piece from 1:31 onwards given the upbeat synths all around it. I see this as a mix full of surprises, so that's also great to know.

One thing that has seemed to quirk me about it is that to me it sounded like two mixes sellotaped at once, given the vast differences between the opening and the rest of the mix. I also thought the synths that came in at 1:31 felt a bit dry for my taste, but that's probably just me. They in no way dampen this mix as a whole. Excellent work all around.

I may sound a bit geeky saying this, but has anyone tried singing Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" alongside the music at 4:12? That's what that area reminds me of, in a good way of course. :P

I just about pissed my pants when I saw a brand-new Turrican 2 mix on the main page. I've never played the game, but after Mark7's mix introduced me to the awesomeness of the soundtrack and helped me recognize the name Huelsbeck through my journeys over the Internet, I came to appreciate Chris Huelsbeck as a god.

I loved the combination trance/80's vibe that certain sections have going for them. That melody was what made me love The Desert Remake, and it'll definately make me listen to this song with religious frequency.

Nutbustin' work Awesome-A.

This remix is just pure genius, and one of my favorites. The intro is fantastic and sets up the song nicely, what with its bombastic beats and what have you. The transition at 1:30 is fabulous, and the Desert Rocks theme is one of the catchiest in all of gaming history. Gotta love these orchestral/electronic hybrids. My only nitpick is its ending, which I'm not overly fond with. It leaves me unfulfilled. However, this is awesome work from Awesome-A , and I really hope he continues remixing.

• 1 month later...

Wow! Though of the techno genre, I'd say this contains progression/nuances/subtleties that should make it enjoyable for even the hardcore classical afficionados!

Very happy song, though in the second half it gets a nice tense line.

I LOVE that little woobly sound at 0:33.

The chord change at 2:40 is perfect.

You avoided the fadeout at end of song, nice.

This, sir, is a work to be proud of.

Now, some things I think could use improvement... 3:19-3:41, and continuing on from there with backup, is a synth that could use some variation, particularly in the attack and sustain (i.e. changes in volume, slight pitch would do the trick).

3:51-3:54 I think could use a little extra drumwork, maybe just some sixteenth or thirty-second notes with two different pitch of tom-toms or something, HI-lolololo-HI-lolololo, would add a nice subtlety to build it some and let it off in the next part :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

German ravegroove thumps mixed in with one of the finest shooters ever to grace the old Amiga days, creates a brave new sound ..mayhaps too complex listening for some ,though maybe too simple for other sets of ears. Nevertheless a worthy yet quite obscure effort to force my nostalgic feelings to surface.

Chris Huelsbeck should be very proud of this 8)

• 1 year later...

First, I want to say that I love this ReMix as a whole, it freakin' rocks!

But I must say that the bridge from 0:59 to 1:28 was truly, absolutely amazing. This is how I imagine freedom sounds. To throw off all the chains tying one down to oppressive obligations and to know that you can never again be made to bow in servitude, to have run the race, just crossing the finish line to find oneself surrounded by the cheers of your most trustworthy friends. This is what I imagine that feeling is in music.

My most profound and heartfelt thanks, Awesome-A :grin:

• 8 months later...

Wow, totally missed this gem the first time around; Awesome-A indeed!

There are so many great details, and each element has it's chance to shine. I am completely in love with the gated synth + horn combo that comes in as the second theme begins. Amazingly beautiful.

I do have to say that I wish a few of the synths were a bit crisper, and that the percussion cut a bit more, but they are minor complaints when the rest of the song is so strong.

Beautiful arrangement, very strong production, and some great source material. I strongly recommend this one, give it a shot, guys.

• 10 months later...

This mix preserves the original music that I loved so much from Super Turrican for SNES (didn't play the Amiga version) while taking things in a slightly different direction with a euro club sound. if this had been the type of remix that sounded nothing like the music from the game, it really would have turned me off, but so much of the original music is preserved. I simply love the wind chimes at 1:27 and the different places where it reverts to the synth and bass theme of the first level. It's a really good piece, and I wish you'd do more with the Turrican games since there's so many great tunes to mine from them. The only thing I didn't like was the ending. It pales in comparison to the rest of the song. i would have loved to hear it fade out rather than just end. Still, even with the ending as is, its one of my favorite remixes, if not for the fact that its the only Turrican related track currently on the site.

Awesome-A: A WINNER IS YOU!!

• 9 months later...

It signifies a lot when a medly of tunes I have never heard before sounds so compelling. There is some really great pieces in here, so good that they actually make me a little guilty for being so naive to them.

I like that it refrains from grabbing the Euro-clubbing concept and running with it. The influence and sound is there, but this is a much more involved and interesting way to listen to it than pure rave style.

While I do think the second half of the mix is superior, I think the first half is more interesting and maybe more technically impressive, so some major props are deserved across the board. And it pulls off one of the trickiest things to do in a medly; inventive yet natural sounding transitions.

It is sporadic and wont be to everyone's taste, but there's a whole lot to appreciate here.

• 3 months later...

Lots of positives to say about this one. I love the 80's feel that is carrying through this, especially once the trance really kicks in. The melodies are rather catchy, which is great, and the bass really brings things together. Similarly, the drums work very well throughout, always a plus.

Nice meld of styles, transitions are sweet too. Good work.

This reminds me of like some early Eighties techno anthem. The energy within this track is amazing. This is also fun to listen to. Dynamics, tempo, and style are all changing on the fly; there's never a dull moment in this track. Also I think I keep hearing the Amen Break somewhere in here, am I right? Definitely a hidden gem that no one should miss.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01326 - Turrican II "The Desert Rocks vs. Concerto for Laser and Enemies"