Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

As one that looks out for artists' welfare, this to me is just not on. :?

Why are you acting like this is some sort of cruel working condition?

It's a small competition in a corner pocket of the internet. There are almost no rewards to winning other than getting recognized by the people who look at the competitions forum. It's just an organized way to get people to make remixes and challenge their arrangement abilities.

I thought Sixto uses Drumkit From Hell?

But yeah, should this version end up going through to refining for OCR (which seems very likely) I'll be sure to consider working on the balancing there for that and the flute. I think I learnt a few new techinques from last night's Punchfest too, so I'll be prepared to see what I can do.

Thank you again Wes :)

Sixto has told me himself that he uses Superior Drummer 2. I bet he uses various drum kit plug ins tho :P

i am having music computer problems - like, horrid latency issues because i'm trying to make do without my full setup while out of town - so i hope i can get my track together in time =( i might have to rush it when i get home this weekend.

Best of luck, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing dust man in wily 5 :)

Just impressions/reviews for now. I haven't decided on my top 3.

1. The Root of All Things: The arrangement is very nice, but I think the reason it comes across feeling like it's mostly Wily, even though I know objectively that it isn't, is because of the instrument choices for the Plant Man theme. They're soft instruments, and lack the punch that the melody line should have (IMHO). When the two themes play together, the Wily one comes out on top. Also, the original content seems, subjectively, like it's riffing on Wily's theme rather than Plant Man's, probably again because of the instrumentation but it's hard to put a finger on it. There are also a couple of moments of dissonance (0:56 especially). I love Plant Man, so I'm really hoping you make that theme pop in the next round. I know you have both the skills and the tools, so make it happen!
  2. Wily's Inferno: I was really looking forward to this one (Nutritious doing Napalm Man? Yes please), but when it opened, it seemed awfully familiar. I feel like I already have a slightly faster version of half of this song. Also the "whines" at 1:40 and 1:50 were a huge detraction. Clearly still one of the best submissions of the round, but I was hoping for more. I have high hopes for the next round.
  3. Attracted to Power: Wow, this is heavily arranged. Definitely an emphasis on the Wily theme, though the style is more Magnet-ish. It's unfortunate that the whole Magnet Man theme is never played--and is that the MM3 Stage Select theme? I have few "hard" criticisms, but this overall just isn't to my taste, purely subjective.
  4. Mr. X Was Dr. Wily THE WHOLE TIME: An odd Middle Eastern style going on here. I concur with others who said that they didn't care for the minor key (or diminished, or whatever it's called). It's certainly a novel take on the Wily theme, but Tomahawk Man is awesome and I don't feel like this piece did it justice. What it tries to do, it does well, but I'm not sure it was a good idea.
  5. Smooth Heat: This is fine, but it isn't very interesting. Vanilla synth with vanilla samples and a vanilla arrangement. Being overly adventurous can be polarizing, but being overly conservative will probably mean not landing in anyone's top 3.
  6. Glacial Age: Not bad atmosphere. If I played a Mega Man JRPG that involved Wily's Castle frozen over, this would make great background music. It's not the kind of music I'd listen to as music, though. As an early remixing effort, it's quite good, but I'd try for something more melodic next time.
  7. Light Your Way: Coming up with a unique mix of these two sources is especially challenging, and kudos for doing that! This is a solid arrangement, with a nice bit of original riffing to make it feel new. It's hard to get excited about this piece just because of how old hat the sources are, but I'm not sure it would be reasonable to expect anything more, given the circumstances. Deciding on whether to vote for this one will be tricky for that reason alone.
  8. Far From Home: Holy crap, I wasn't expecting this! You have a good singing voice, although the timing is off on occasion. I'm not a big fan of Cold Man (or anything from MM&B, really--though this is one of the best source tunes in that game), so this being one of my favorites from this round was a big surprise. The instrumentation is a bit repetitive, but that's normal for the genre. The Wily theme seems shoehorned in--I'd guess you came up with the Cold Man part ahead of time, then added the Wily theme after it was announced--but it's well done, and if I hadn't known about this contest format, I'm not sure I would have noticed. My one major complaint is that there's perhaps too much original content; the source isn't as evident as it could be while you're singing. If it weren't for that, I'd say this was a shoe-in for acceptance for OCR.
  9. Shadows of Wily: Once again the Wily theme is strikingly familiar (to provide just one example). Running it on top of, and harmonizing it with, the harmony line of Shadow Man helps where you do it, but sometimes it's pretty much a straight rock cover, with nothing original to the approach at all. The Shadow Man part is done well, but it's nothing special.
  10. whatever.jpg: I have to turn the volume way, way up to hear this at all! Too bad Piano Wily is one again old news, but at least your rhythm is unique. Also, I can barely hear Bubble Man. It was worth a shot, but I'm not sure how great this would have been even if you'd had more time. It's pleasant, but I don't think it succeeds at being a remix.
  11. No Ticket!: Charge Man is one of the two remixes I've ever tried to do--as you know, since you commented on my WIP--so I know its parts quite well. I'm glad you appreciate its harmony lines almost as much as I do. There's some dissonance, especially around 0:35 and 1:35, and I'm not a big fan of the "glitchy" sound effects. Both detract a lot from my overall enjoyment of this piece, which is very unfortunate because otherwise I like it a great deal.
  12. Glitch in the System: A long intro of its own, a lot of repetition of the intro part of Crash Man, no appearance of Crash Man's actual melody. Then UGH, those robot voices! Finally Wily's theme shows up, with some pretty bad dissonance, followed by an extremely awkward transition into the fade-out. No integration of the two themes at all. I'm sorry, but I just don't have anything positive to say about this one.

Best of luck, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing dust man in wily 5 :)
Especially done by prophetik. Not having enough time for this would be very, very sad. I'm greatly looking forward to it, and I hope you can do it justice.

Woooooooooo, done with my remix!! 6 minutes of Wily 5 and Elec Man glory. This is by far the best thing I've ever written, so I'd like to believe. I'm excited to see what you all think! :grin:

Fair warning, the last person to make a 6 min mix (namely me) didn't do so hot.

Though that's probably the musicians fault more than the length's fault.

:P

Wow guys, thanks for the awesome feedback on Far From Home. I'm definitely gonna polish it up for submission!!! I did want to put more reference to Wily 1 into the last repeat of the chorus actually, but figured I'd just keep what I had because, considering the time frame I had to work on it, it seemed to work as is for the time being.

Again, thanks to everyone for the feedback... I'm truly appreciative of it all :D

Use all the extra time to cut out some fat in your mix Ectogemia!

Hah, well... it's all necessary as far as I'm concerned :P

I set out to make an "epic" mix after listening to entirely too many BT mixes that were 10+ minutes. I think I did a good job without going overboard on it.

There's definitely just a bit of mixing work, for sure... but come on. That's no fun.

You got the time, spend it wisely. That means ignore it entirely, procrastinate on it and give it some nice touches at the last possible second.

Ohhhh, I am well on my way. What? Do I hear the plinking of facebook chat?

k bye.

edit: Hah, and I forgot to mention that I threw in a few measures of the theme from Tower of Heaven, Gario. Thought you'd like that :P you introduced me to that fantastic soundtrack quite a while ago.