OCR02319 - Castlevania "Juese Belmont"

djpretzel

I'm a fan of the original, and this is a nice remix of a remix! I'm glad to see it on frickin' OCR!

I would've liked for the lyrics to be more in the foreground, as they get hidden sometimes due to the other instruments. Otherwise, great tune!

EDIT: Listening to the original and the remix side-by-side, I really liked one part in the original that is unfortunately missing from the remix: "Alucard? Psh, I'd rather have it Grant Da NASTY. ohwaitthatsoundedgay". That was always one of my favorite parts, oh well!

I know this post isn't considered an opinion or a review, so please forgive me if it isn't the right place to say this!

Had to do a double take to make sure I was on the right website haha. This song is already a classic. I can't play castlevania anymore without hearing these lyrics in my head. Actually considered making it my ringtone in the past.

Absolutely. Every single time I play Level 2, I catch myself singing "O RLY?" over and over.

could a mix get on OCR and OLR

It already happened before. :razz:

Let me state that the original OLR version was a classic if only for the lyrical content and sheer imaginative drive. Taking into account the origins, the updated version here actually shows a much more polished and thorough backing arrangement to compliment the timeless vocals, and definitely is a defining component of Shael's style for sure.

I got to say though that in spite of this, I thought the vocal delivery wasn't quite as enthusiastic or in-your-face as the original OLR version, which does make it a little bit disappointing somehow; but in spite of this, I am thankful that the legend of Juese has surfaced onto OCR.

So way to go Shael, Suzu and Z for contributing to an awesome Halloween night :D

This is a fun song! Doesn't really seem up to OCR's quality standards these days, but I don't think that really detracts from what it is, just a fun themed song. My only real complaint is the vocals sound they were recorded on a headset mic or something. It seems like a quality recording would have added a lot to it. No big deal tho, fun stuff!

jun wan 2 post up sum covers of dat good song dat just post to ocr. thought ocr could use a little flavOLR LOL

Original: http://olremix.org/remixes/300

Minimal Electro Remix: http://olremix.org/remixes/753

Remix.ThaSauce Mix: http://remix.thasauce.net/song/RTS0205/

Double Ice Backfire Mix: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02319/

Disk Mastah Smokabitch and Hella-Tight MC Fukkaslut 4 lyfe

Yeah, I think the original OLR mix is a lot tighter than this version. The sound is a lot more crisp, the vocals are a lot more audible, and the beat is a lot more catchy. I do like the intro of this version up to 0:24 but the "Oh really" section at 1:07 is pretty difficult to hear clearly. Still good to revisit the song and try something different with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While the production quality on this mix tops the original, I think the vocal usage in this track is weaker - the use of more vocal tracks would be nice, especially in sections like the orly/yarly. It just doesn't have the same effect with Shael saying it in one breath. The mix also sounds a little overcompressed and the guitars suffer for it.

Give me the classic OLR version!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I can see why this came from OLR. But that's not a bad thing in the right crowd. This is creative and I actually hadn't heard the original before hearing this one. The delivery of those lyrics at least fit with the music, so I can dig that. The intro was great, but the ending was a bit abrupt. I will say, however, that if I had to highlight something that I really loved, it was the "oh really?" bit. It's stuck in my head.

• 1 month later...
Give me the classic OLR version!

Pretty much this. I was delighted to see Juese Belmont on the front page of OCR, but listening to this remix of the original OLR tune, I was disappointed. As many of the previous posters mentioned, the vocals lack punch and often drown in the instruments, in particular in the ORLY/YARLY section.

And considering that the vocals/lyrics have always been my favourite thing about this (back when it was first released on OLR, I fell so in love with it that I the entire text of the song got stuck in my brain in no time and has not left it since), I guess you can see where my disappointment comes from.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02319 - Castlevania "Juese Belmont"